Audioengine D1 Clicking and Popping in Windows 10 latest build
Nov 21, 2018 at 4:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Ulysses31

New Head-Fier
Hi Everyone

I noticed this has been discussed via https://www.head-fi.org/threads/aud...and-popping-when-my-memory-is-too-low.633734/
But could do with some help as to free up memory regarding what processes in Windows 10 Version 1803 OS Build 17134,407. It seems my Philips Hue desktop app is butting heads regarding resources and every time i want the hue effect while engaging in a game i start getting various issues.
I currently use the AudioEngine D1 Dac via the Headphones socket and have only recently been getting the popping and sometimes silence followed by hissing but on the odd occasion, it will work sporadically. There seems to be some issue with enough memory despite only just getting this problem and although i chatted to AudioEngine regarding this they could not inform of what processes i need to change. I would very much appreciate some help on the name of the processes i need to set to high to rectify this issue when using the D1.

Your input would be greatly appreciated... Many thanks for your time!

Nov 22, 2018 at 7:10 PM Post #3 of 12
GREQ thanks for your reply my current system spec is as follows;

I have an Alienware Area-51 Desktop with Windows 10
I7 5930K Processor overclocked up to 3.9GHz
32Gb Ram
Nvidia Geforce GTX Titan X with 12GB GDDR5
256GB Sata SSD

Nov 23, 2018 at 1:19 AM Post #4 of 12
Ok, so you're definitely not having a memory issue.
I would first try switching it to a different USB port... or even trying out all the ports, and see if it goes away on one of them.
Not all ports are created equally on the same motherboard.

Nov 23, 2018 at 1:23 AM Post #5 of 12
You could try opting into the Windows insider builds to see if there are any new drivers that will fix it.

Nov 23, 2018 at 1:27 AM Post #6 of 12
With those symptoms it's more likely a hardware issue than a driver issue.
Several reports of usb popping and clicking on win10 have been remedied by simply swapping to another port.

Going for insider builds is also definitely not something for the normal end-user, but experienced windows users who might know how to deal with issues and find workarounds to potential bugs.

Nov 23, 2018 at 1:30 AM Post #7 of 12
I've had all sorts of crazy audio issues with drivers. Slow audio, lagging audio, popping audio, super distorted audio..

Nov 23, 2018 at 5:45 AM Post #9 of 12
GREQ and Pointy Fox again thanks for the help...

I tried using other USB ports but got the same symptoms. I know from this post https://www.head-fi.org/threads/aud...and-popping-when-my-memory-is-too-low.633734/ that even having a decent PC still gave Users issues with what i am experiencing. Do you guys know how i can try and give the AudioEngine D1 or Windows Drivers/third party software it uses more priorities in Task Manager so i can finally try this and if to no avail will send the unit back.

Nov 23, 2018 at 6:20 AM Post #12 of 12
You need to edit the registry to do that, but since it's specific to your hardware, it might take some time to locate the right values for editing.
If you find the right driver files, values of 0 are loaded earlier, values of 1 are loaded later.
After that I don't think there's a way of allocating more system resources to it, nor do I believe that to be necessary.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back