Audioengine D1 Clicking and Popping when my memory is too low?
Oct 28, 2012 at 1:17 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Metabeechwood

New Head-Fier
Hello everyone,

I am new to the audiophile world. I have the ATH-M50 and the HD 598, with the Audioengine D1 as my amp/dac. My computer is a 2012 Macbook Pro. The D1 is powered through the front USB port. It usually works just fine, but I sometimes notice some problems: the sound will intermittently cut out, or there will be pops and clicks, and on one occasion the music "sped up" like those Chipmunks songs.

I tried different things to fix it, such us unplugging and replugging in the DAC, rebooting my computer, closing and re-opening iTunes, etc. I also tried changing the MIDI setting from 24-bit, 88.2 kHz to 24 bit, 44.1 kHz. (What is the optimal setting? All of my music is regular 16/44.1 on iTunes.) The last time this happened, I opened up the Task Manager and noticed that I was running very low on memory. So I closed all my programs and rebooted the computer, and the D1 worked just fine.

I suspect that it's a memory issue. Is that right? I don't think I have a defective D1, because I bought the floor model of a local retailer, and I doubt he would have kept it as his floor model if it were regularly having problems. (And I happen to know that he had it as his floor model for several months.)

Have other people experienced this problem?

Oct 28, 2012 at 4:20 PM Post #2 of 11
I've experienced something similar with my Fiio e17. Whenever I have music playing and load a page on the internet with a lot of pictures, the audio begins to clip for a split second, very annoying. I've read up on it and suspect it has something to do with the RAM not keeping up. Is it by any chance a solid state drive?

Oct 28, 2012 at 4:46 PM Post #4 of 11
My 5 year old xps desktop with e6850 processors and 4 gig ram just about runs it with no clicks or pausing. ,my 3 year old vaio laptop with slightly slower processor and 6 gig ram has to have the processors priority set to high.

Buffering always 50.

Oct 28, 2012 at 6:00 PM Post #5 of 11
Quote:
Hello everyone,

I am new to the audiophile world. I have the ATH-M50 and the HD 598, with the Audioengine D1 as my amp/dac. My computer is a 2012 Macbook Pro. The D1 is powered through the front USB port. It usually works just fine, but I sometimes notice some problems: the sound will intermittently cut out, or there will be pops and clicks, and on one occasion the music "sped up" like those Chipmunks songs.

I tried different things to fix it, such us unplugging and replugging in the DAC, rebooting my computer, closing and re-opening iTunes, etc. I also tried changing the MIDI setting from 24-bit, 88.2 kHz to 24 bit, 44.1 kHz. (What is the optimal setting? All of my music is regular 16/44.1 on iTunes.) The last time this happened, I opened up the Task Manager and noticed that I was running very low on memory. So I closed all my programs and rebooted the computer, and the D1 worked just fine.

I suspect that it's a memory issue. Is that right? I don't think I have a defective D1, because I bought the floor model of a local retailer, and I doubt he would have kept it as his floor model if it were regularly having problems. (And I happen to know that he had it as his floor model for several months.)

Have other people experienced this problem?

I´ve had the same symptoms when streaming from Grooveshark.  Updating W7 solved the problem,  so it can be a software issue.

Oct 28, 2012 at 6:12 PM Post #6 of 11
Thanks for replying. No, it's a 750 gig old school drive.

Strange, I have a brand new Samsung ssd laptop. I guess the technology isn't right yet.

Quote:
My 5 year old xps desktop with e6850 processors and 4 gig ram just about runs it with no clicks or pausing. ,my 3 year old vaio laptop with slightly slower processor and 6 gig ram has to have the processors priority set to high.

Buffering always 50

How do you set the processor priority?

Apr 21, 2013 at 9:02 PM Post #7 of 11
My D1 sounds awesome, and drives my Denons flawlessly. However, I had nothing but problems when using USB only. I had all the symptoms described above, including an occasional "screeching" sound which drove me nuts. My issues occurred mainly with high-rez files, while web surfing.

I tried everything. Buffer adjustments, cables, power management options, tried running Fidelizer, etc. No fix for me.

I finally ended up going the S/PDIF route. Wow - it's been running perfectly ever since. No drop outs, skips, burps, screeches. Just excellent sound 100% of the time, under all conditions.

This solution worked for me. Your mileage may vary
gs1000.gif

Apr 22, 2013 at 4:12 AM Post #8 of 11
Strange, I have a brand new Samsung ssd laptop. I guess the technology isn't right yet.
How do you set the processor priority?
On a PC right click on the process in task manager, I always do this now and no clicks, sorry I don't know how to do this on a mac

Apr 22, 2013 at 1:13 PM Post #9 of 11
Yea this is a PC problem and not your D1.  Setting process priorities should fix this.

Apr 23, 2013 at 9:11 PM Post #10 of 11
I just got my Audioengine D1 yesterday.  I'm on a Windows 7 64-bit PC and I can't get Spotify to play to save my life.  I switched to DAC via ControlPanel>Sounds>Playback and every single program (Foobar, Chrome, even system sounds) plays through DAC.  Spotify still plays via standard soundcard.  If I disable the soundcard, I get 0 playback from Spotify.  

I ran a Headstreamer previously and this issue did not occur.  Can anyone advise?

Thanks!

Edit: Turned out it was because I installed Equalify - a 3rd party equalizer for Spotify.  After uninstalling Equalify and un/reinstalling Spotify, works again!
Thanks Byrnie for your reply + Audioengine for customer service 

Apr 24, 2013 at 9:28 AM Post #11 of 11
Quote:
I just got my Audioengine D1 yesterday.  I'm on a Windows 7 64-bit PC and I can't get Spotify to play to save my life.  I switched to DAC via ControlPanel>Sounds>Playback and every single program (Foobar, Chrome, even system sounds) plays through DAC.  Spotify still plays via standard soundcard.  If I disable the soundcard, I get 0 playback from Spotify.  

I ran a Headstreamer previously and this issue did not occur.  Can anyone advise?

Thanks!

http://audioengineusa.com/Store/audioengine-d1-faq

^not sure if you already saw this on their website.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back