Audioengine A5's?
Dec 29, 2008 at 1:21 AM Post #48 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Monkey /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Dammit! I've got some low level static coming out of the right speaker when the AE2s are powered on. The noise is there regardless of whether a source is plugged in. It does not change when volume is changed. The speakers are near a window, so I'm wondering if maybe the stock speaker cable is picking up some RF. Does that sound plausible?

Hmm... I dunno, mine are near a window amp and although I hear some noise when no music is playing, it isn't too loud. What does this "static" sound like?

Dec 29, 2008 at 2:57 AM Post #49 of 66
A5 user here for my computer audio!

IMG_6404.jpg

Dec 29, 2008 at 7:38 AM Post #51 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by Brighten /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hmm... I dunno, mine are near a window amp and although I hear some noise when no music is playing, it isn't too loud. What does this "static" sound like?

Like low level AM noise. I did some further troubleshooting, and the power supply was also buzzing, so I have another email in to AE.

Dec 30, 2008 at 4:24 AM Post #52 of 66
Quote:

Like low level AM noise. I did some further troubleshooting, and the power supply was also buzzing, so I have another email in to AE.

Ooh, I definetely recall that noise now (it was crazy haha, as I read the "AM" a picture of my head next to an A5 speaker was in my mind with that "noise").

When I get home I'll check again. I hope we don't have any problems, and that this is normal.
redface.gif

Dec 30, 2008 at 4:27 AM Post #53 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by Brighten /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ooh, I definetely recall that noise now (it was crazy haha, as I read the "AM" a picture of my head next to an A5 speaker was in my mind with that "noise").

When I get home I'll check again. I home we don't have any problems, and that this is normal.
redface.gif

Unfortunately it does not sound normal to me. The noise floor should not be that high.

Dec 30, 2008 at 3:07 PM Post #54 of 66
I got a pair some weeks ago and I love them, they are now in the office, but are supposed to go to my home setup, but....seems I need another pair now!!!

Regards

Dec 31, 2008 at 3:17 AM Post #55 of 66
Quote:

Unfortunately it does not sound normal to me. The noise floor should not be that high.

I checked again last night and they were as quiet as a whistle with no source plugged in.
frown.gif

Jan 2, 2009 at 11:38 AM Post #56 of 66
i love my A5's, but a few issues;

like others, i noticed the audio in jack on top is a bit flakey, it can sometimes produce a loud hum, which is distracting and unnaceptable, i dont use that now, but its a poor quality implementation on such premium speakers, considering the fiio e3 mini jack doesnt do that!!!!!

the really annoying feature is their inbuilt auto-sleep feature, which for me, in my setup means i have to crank up the volume to loud and wait upto about 10 seconds for the audio feed to come back through and then when it does, by definition, cause the volume has to be loud to awaken them from their slumber, comes on way too loud.

i have contacted them to ask on the technical details of that sleep circuit, to ask if theres a way of me disabling it, i would be willing to void my warranty to kill that feature!!! lets hope its jumpered option, but i doubt it!!

they are very nearly such fantastic units.

Jan 2, 2009 at 12:13 PM Post #58 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadLover /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How is the sound of the units ?
And how well does it go with a SUB ?
Also, does the provided cables are good enough ?

great sound. i have them near field. and are decent enough - see all the reviews out there for sound impressions, they arent monitor class IMHO, more warmly coloured than that.

pairs well with a sub, not a problem, have mine with a lowly tv sub (tosh SW1000)

cables are good enough yes, although you can improve on them if you wish.

Jan 2, 2009 at 1:02 PM Post #60 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadLover /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What cables do I need to imrpvoe them?
I want to connect them to my DAC (OMZ 4.2)
And maybe a better speaker cable to
What do you think? can you give me an example so I know the endings and so on?

odin? valhalla? c'mon, thats a hugely difficult question to anaswer, who am i to judge your taste and budget? if you want to upgrade over stock just for the sake of it, then why not buy mid level cables like zu mobius, blue jeans, QED etc etc.

IMHO they arent good enough at representing authentic uncoloured sound to justify trying to tweak/spend monies on them like a high end speaker setup, they are what they are, out of the box they are great little solid speakers!

dont get me wrong, i have owned sets of multi thousand pound cables before and still have some, but they would be wasted on the A5's.

by endings do you mean the connectors? if so...the binding posts are 5 way posts, so you can choose spades, bare ends (recommended always) banana plugs etc, and the inputs are just 3.5mm stereo jacks, with rca out for sub only.

i am using a minimal upgrade to the stero jack cable provided, only cause i already have it, i am using QED J2P rca to mini, to connect into the A5 from my dac1. but the one they provide is fine.

but whatever you use, you will need to be running into the A5's with a 3.5mm stereo input, so you may need RCA to mini, like me, from your OMZ

enjoy!

HTH

Users who are viewing this thread

Back