Audioengine A5's?
Nov 10, 2008 at 7:47 AM Post #31 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sof /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hows that card for videogames? I don't care about EAX support. What about for driving some Audiotechnica ATH-A700 headphones?

I have no experience using either the Audiotrak Prodigy HD2 or the ESI Juli@ for videogames.

I have used ancient Sennheiser HD-420 headphones with the headphone out on the Audiotrak Prodigy HD2. It is loud enough for my needs with the volume turned down halfway in my player s/w. My brief research on the 'net suggested that the HD-420 phones were quite low efficiency.

Bill

Dec 3, 2008 at 9:03 PM Post #32 of 66
Well I thought i would revisit this thread and comment that the speakers had had a problem and that is what lead to my earlier comment. The tweeters had gone out.
I called and Logan over at Audioengines sent me a new pair after a trouble shoot. I have to say that service like i got from them makes me highly recommend this company. It is nice to know that there is support behind gear that we invest in out here.

Dec 4, 2008 at 7:41 AM Post #33 of 66
That the one thing that really stands out for me and makes me want to buy this set. Seems like they really take care of their customers.

I'm having a hard time picking the finish, black or white. White looks so sexy...
biggrin.gif

Dec 5, 2008 at 1:50 PM Post #35 of 66
The A5 will sound even much better after about 100 hrs of usage (those Kevlar drivers need many hrs of burn in).. The sound is good and uncolored... and their support is very very good... hope they continue their excellent customer support and product line
biggrin.gif

Dec 6, 2008 at 2:25 AM Post #36 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by nakedtoes /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The A5 will sound even much better after about 100 hrs of usage (those Kevlar drivers need many hrs of burn in).. The sound is good and uncolored... and their support is very very good... hope they continue their excellent customer support and product line
biggrin.gif

Uncolored, meaning?....

Dec 8, 2008 at 6:58 AM Post #39 of 66
I'd say these speakers are a tad bright, but the vocals are fantastic. The bass is punchy and clear, however, if you want to feel it you're going to need a subwoofer. The power that they have is crazy though, they fill a room easy at 9 'o clock.

I searched for a nice pair of speakers forever and ultimately decided on these. They are solid, clean and the Audioengine customer service is excellent.

Plus, if you go through the company they give you a thirty day trial period.

Dec 10, 2008 at 4:00 AM Post #42 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sof /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Forgot to ask, A5's are fine for near field listening right?

I use my A5s mostly for near field listening. I love 'em to that purpose. They are also fine for listening farther away in the same room or an adjacent one.

Bill

Dec 10, 2008 at 10:40 PM Post #43 of 66
Since the A5's are rear ported they are sensitive to placement.

Really do not want to set them up close to a wall and I have found tilting them up (or down) help.

I have mine on mopads in a near field setting with a AudioTrak Prodigy HD2.

Pretty jammin sound in my humble opinion.

I had the A2's that are front ported and they are much less sensitive to placement in a near field setting.

Dec 19, 2008 at 3:36 AM Post #44 of 66
I hooked up my A2s today, and I am very pleased. Harbeths they ain't, but they make for a nice little computer speaker setup. Oh, I almost blew them out by accident, too.

Really a nice product.

Dec 20, 2008 at 4:01 AM Post #45 of 66
Dammit! I've got some low level static coming out of the right speaker when the AE2s are powered on. The noise is there regardless of whether a source is plugged in. It does not change when volume is changed. The speakers are near a window, so I'm wondering if maybe the stock speaker cable is picking up some RF. Does that sound plausible?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back