Audioengine A5's?
Oct 29, 2008 at 1:58 AM Post #17 of 66
I think I'll just end up getting these to save money because if I go with a reciever + bookshelfs I'll probably end up spending over 700.

Anyways, does it matter what kind of sound card you hook these up to since its got a built in amp? I'll just be using it to control the EQ...... any suggestions for a sound card? My Sondigo Inferno just died (I'm pissed) and I'm looking at some of the HT Omega's.

Thanks.

ps. these don't have a headphone port do they?

Oct 29, 2008 at 3:10 AM Post #18 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sof /img/forum/go_quote.gif
any suggestions for a sound card?

I use an Audiotrak Prodigy HD2 ($ 75) with A5w speakers in my home office. I mostly listen in the near field and and am very happy with the combination. The Prodigy has a separate headphone jack. It drives ancient Sennheiser HD 420 phones but just barely loud enough at full volume.

I also use an ESI Juli@ ( ~ $ 150) with larger speakers (not near field) and like the Juli@ in thAt application.

Both the Prodigy and the Juli@ come with stable ASIO drivers. I can output to both sound cards at the same time.

Bill

Oct 29, 2008 at 2:58 PM Post #19 of 66
I'm going by memory here so take this with a big grain of salt, but have recently heard the M-Audio BX5A (non-deluxe), and although I like its soundstaging and instrument separation a bit better, I thought the A5s won on balanced sound (especially in lows). These are all brief listens (all burned in). That said the BX5As are available for $150 at B&H Photo, which puts them at less than half the cost of the A5s. Again these are the older non-deluxe versions (another member said there were slight to none sonic differences with new model). Kinda a steal at that price.

M-Audio | BX-5A - Studio Reference Monitors | 9900-50785-00

Oct 30, 2008 at 4:07 AM Post #21 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by blessingx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm going by memory here so take this with a big grain of salt, but have recently heard the M-Audio BX5A (non-deluxe), and although I like its soundstaging and instrument separation a bit better, I thought the A5s won on balanced sound (especially in lows). These are all brief listens (all burned in). That said the BX5As are available for $150 at B&H Photo, which puts them at less than half the cost of the A5s. Again these are the older non-deluxe versions (another member said there were slight to none sonic differences with new model). Kinda a steal at that price.

M-Audio | BX-5A - Studio Reference Monitors | 9900-50785-00

really?

I felt that the A5s were a step up from the bx5a. Maybe not in the highs where the bx5a excelled imo, but everything else, the A5s seem to do better

Nov 1, 2008 at 3:38 PM Post #23 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by jinp6301 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
really?

I felt that the A5s were a step up from the bx5a.

Err I think we mostly agree. Please reread.
wink.gif

Nov 1, 2008 at 11:53 PM Post #24 of 66
Can anyone post pics of their black ones? Seems like the pics I can find of the black ones have this like blue-ish looking frame around the tweeter and mids, which to me looks really ugly or is it just the lighting?....

thanks.

Nov 9, 2008 at 6:02 AM Post #26 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by FasterThanEver /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I use an Audiotrak Prodigy HD2 ($ 75) with A5w speakers in my home office. I mostly listen in the near field and and am very happy with the combination. The Prodigy has a separate headphone jack. It drives ancient Sennheiser HD 420 phones but just barely loud enough at full volume.

I also use an ESI Juli@ ( ~ $ 150) with larger speakers (not near field) and like the Juli@ in thAt application.

Both the Prodigy and the Juli@ come with stable ASIO drivers. I can output to both sound cards at the same time.

Bill

Hows that card for videogames? I don't care about EAX support. What about for driving some Audiotechnica ATH-A700 headphones?

Nov 9, 2008 at 6:26 AM Post #27 of 66
Guess i'm spoiled because i wasn't that impressed with mine. They seem okay for computer speakers, better than my Dell stock setup for sure. They can go up very loud but generally they sound to me to have strong uncontrolled bass and not a lot of detail. Granted i am used to fairly detailed headphones and amps or my home mid-fi setup, so maybe i am comparing apples and oranges i was just expecting a little more when i got mine a couple of months back. I'm keeping them anyway for computer speaker ease and the fact my wife uses them a lot with itunes.

Guess this time i am in the minority though.

Nov 9, 2008 at 6:59 AM Post #28 of 66
Well at the moment I'm using a set of Logitech X-230's which cost like $60 3 years ago when I got them, so I'm sure I'll hear a huge improvement.

I'd love to go with a receiver + nice set of bookshelf, but there's too many choices and I don't know where to start. My initial budget was around $700, people were like this, no get that, plus what happen if my receivers decides to crap out? More headches....I don't know man lol.

Nov 9, 2008 at 12:58 PM Post #29 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by dallan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Guess i'm spoiled because i wasn't that impressed with mine. They seem okay for computer speakers, better than my Dell stock setup for sure. They can go up very loud but generally they sound to me to have strong uncontrolled bass and not a lot of detail. Granted i am used to fairly detailed headphones and amps or my home mid-fi setup, so maybe i am comparing apples and oranges i was just expecting a little more when i got mine a couple of months back. I'm keeping them anyway for computer speaker ease and the fact my wife uses them a lot with itunes.

Guess this time i am in the minority though.

Always helpful to hear a different take, dallan. What are you using as the source?

Nov 10, 2008 at 2:24 AM Post #30 of 66
For the a5's, just a computer or sometimes the ipod with lossless files. I use the same at times to feed my headphone amp to my headphones, not as clear as thru the cd/dac set up on the regular system but still okay. I am waiting for the pico usb dac to bypass my soundcard though, that will help.

The speakers aren't bad they just are what they are and i was expecting more from what i read. No biggy, like i said i am keeping them, they are convenient and they do have the ability to fill the house with music if needed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back