Audioengine A2 vs Creative T40 vs Bose Companion 20 vs M-Audio BX5a D2
Feb 14, 2012 at 12:04 PM Post #32 of 51

Quote:
I hated the A2's that I had. The creative t40's sounded better and they don't sound that great to begin with.

Quite a small soundstage and an overall very dark presentation. But you mentioned there being differences between the same models as of their power supplies. That may have been the problem then, but I doubt it. 

Quote:
boxy and muddy describs the a2's best, consider these http://www.samsontech.com/samson/products/studio-monitors/media-one/mediaone3a/ , better than the a2's and t40 but they are a bit bigger depth wise.

Many peoples thinks the A2s is great, include Me.

But other peoples think they sucks, and i'm know why.

as a said, my friend have a pair of A2s and they sound horrible. I have a pair of A2's that sounds great!

It's very strange. My friends A2s really sounds like you two are saying, very dark, dull, muddy, boxy sounding.

I have heard t40 and they sounds very bad in comparison to my A2s.
confused_face_2.gif

I have mailed Audioengine support about this, and they sound that much things can interfere with the A2s, that can be the problem. The power supply should be some feets away from you computer, you should not use halogen lamps in the near of the A2s, and so on.

Sorry again for my bad english.

Feb 14, 2012 at 3:49 PM Post #33 of 51

Quote:

Many peoples thinks the A2s is great, include Me.

But other peoples think they sucks, and i'm know why.

as a said, my friend have a pair of A2s and they sound horrible. I have a pair of A2's that sounds great!

It's very strange. My friends A2s really sounds like you two are saying, very dark, dull, muddy, boxy sounding.

I have heard t40 and they sounds very bad in comparison to my A2s.
confused_face_2.gif

I have mailed Audioengine support about this, and they sound that much things can interfere with the A2s, that can be the problem. The power supply should be some feets away from you computer, you should not use halogen lamps in the near of the A2s, and so on.

Sorry again for my bad english.

So keeping the power supply away from the tower allows it to properly function?  Interesting...

Feb 15, 2012 at 6:18 AM Post #36 of 51

Quote:
Okay!
wink.gif

I have heard the Audioengine 5 once, and i personally like the sound coming from my pair of Audioengine 2s at home more. Personally i think the A2s sounds more detailed, and more open
blink.gif
I must be the only one that think so
atsmile.gif
hehe.

Greetings.

you arent the only one, will be sticking up reviews of the 2 and 5+ shortly.

Feb 15, 2012 at 7:50 AM Post #37 of 51
maybe i need to try the a2 again. You see space is a real limitation for me, so these come into consideration.

But i remember them sounding less superor to the creative t20 even. Neither are impressive to me though.

Feb 15, 2012 at 8:49 AM Post #38 of 51
By some of the reviews it does sound like were all listening to completly different speakers, maybe the quality control on these is poor or the power supply mega crappy.
I compared them to what else you could get for the same money around £150 here, and compared them not directly to some £150 passive set-up the lower end wharfedale, gale, mission and polk speakers they sound really boxy and muddy in comparsion, compared to cheaper actives like the samson media one 3a which I recommend as an excellent alternative they once again sound boxy, muddy and really mid bassy. If they were priced at £50 then I wouldn't be able to find anything better and I would recommend them as a good pair of speakers for the money.

Feb 15, 2012 at 12:37 PM Post #39 of 51

Quote:
maybe i need to try the a2 again. You see space is a real limitation for me, so these come into consideration.
But i remember them sounding less superor to the creative t20 even. Neither are impressive to me though.

Yeah, if you want!
bigsmile_face.gif

It also takes a while to break-in the A2s (due to the high quallity speakers elements i think) and they also sounds much better with the DS1 desktop stands. You can use books or something to raise them up otherwise.

Quote:
you arent the only one, will be sticking up reviews of the 2 and 5+ shortly.

Glad to hear, I will be waiting for the reviews
beerchug.gif

Mar 5, 2012 at 6:56 AM Post #41 of 51
I just bought A5B. I had didn't have chance to listen to any creative T20 or T40 but there are bose stores in my city. I drove to one of stores and listened companion 2 and 5 both. 
The representative started to demonstrate directly c5 and which didn't impress me at all and asking price is a big JOKE and nothing else. For given price tag only a fool can buy them. 
They even denied to tell specifications of any speakers they sell.

Then I asked to play c2. What a crappy sounding speakers c2 are. Even my stock chinese cheapo speakers sounded sweater than c2. Bose should be feel ashamed to even 
put c2 in their stores for demo. Considering sound quality I could buy C5 for 1/4th price. 

I hated bose after visiting their store and knowing their marketing tricks to sell crap at premium price.

Mar 12, 2012 at 1:29 PM Post #43 of 51
What!? Are you serious? I have listen to Comapion 5 and they didn't sound good AT ALL i think... I have the Audioengine  2s and even them sounds much better i would say
blink.gif

How long did you have the Audioengine 5s? Did you let them break in?

Jun 25, 2012 at 9:56 AM Post #44 of 51
I just bought a pair of AudioEngine A2s, Creative T40s, and Bose 20s.  I've been testing and comparing them all week. I just found this thread and I thought I'd share my findings.

The creatives aren't accurate and sound cheap, they can't push any volume.  They are not on the same level as the other speakers. I would put these in the beginner category.  They are a good deal for < $100 (on sale) if that's your small budget.

The Bose push nice mids, have a great sound stage, great stereo field, but where they lack is frequency.  No highs, no lows.  That Bose saying is hilariously true.  They sound great if you listen to piano tracks, or guitars and vocals only.  But man, everything else really lacks.  Dance music is horrible on these, the bass is non-existent.  Any cheap speaker can push a lot of volume and not peak if you drop <100hz and >8k, and that's what Bose did.  I couldn't recommend these for the $250 price tag.  I'd say they are worth about $140.

The AudioEngine A2s have some cons, but overall easily the best speakers, and they are the smallest.  I got them for $170.  At first they are muddy, however, after some EQ changes they are awesome.  I had to raise everything above 2k and up a bit,  4k the most.  Also boosted 60hz, it pushes very nice.  Once the EQ is good, these speakers are BY FAR the best.  Most accurate, good sound stage, good volume, physically small, and black.  Volume knob is annoying on the back, and the speakers have no grills.  Other than that everything about them is great.  I'm now returning the Creative and Bose speakers.

Jun 25, 2012 at 1:56 PM Post #45 of 51
Quote:
Yeah, if you want!
bigsmile_face.gif

It also takes a while to break-in the A2s (due to the high quallity speakers elements i think) and they also sounds much better with the DS1 desktop stands. You can use books or something to raise them up otherwise.

I don't think placing books under the speakers is a good idea.  The books are larger than the speakers right?  the sound wave coming out the drivers will hit and bounce off the books. I would get some pillers / base that's narrow.

Quote:
I just bought a pair of AudioEngine A2s, Creative T40s, and Bose 20s.  I've been testing and comparing them all week. I just found this thread and I thought I'd share my findings.

The creatives aren't accurate and sound cheap, they can't push any volume.  They are not on the same level as the other speakers. I would put these in the beginner category.  They are a good deal for < $100 (on sale) if that's your small budget.

The Bose push nice mids, have a great sound stage, great stereo field, but where they lack is frequency.  No highs, no lows.  That Bose saying is hilariously true.  They sound great if you listen to piano tracks, or guitars and vocals only.  But man, everything else really lacks.  Dance music is horrible on these, the bass is non-existent.  Any cheap speaker can push a lot of volume and not peak if you drop <100hz and >8k, and that's what Bose did.  I couldn't recommend these for the $250 price tag.  I'd say they are worth about $140.

The AudioEngine A2s have some cons, but overall easily the best speakers, and they are the smallest.  I got them for $170.  At first they are muddy, however, after some EQ changes they are awesome.  I had to raise everything above 2k and up a bit,  4k the most.  Also boosted 60hz, it pushes very nice.  Once the EQ is good, these speakers are BY FAR the best.  Most accurate, good sound stage, good volume, physically small, and black.  Volume knob is annoying on the back, and the speakers have no grills.  Other than that everything about them is great.  I'm now returning the Creative and Bose speakers.

The A2 has the flattest native frequency band.... which is what makes these speakers superior to the other speakers you guys have compared to.

It's not really muddy.... just lack a little bit of treble when equalizer is not turned on.  Just a slight increase in treble and you are set.   These speakers do put out awesome detail and has good mid push.  it sounds so god damn good...

part it with a full solid silver audio cable and this speaker will turn into a $1500 speaker.   I am getting the most awesome treble and the detail.  Details popping out of nowhere which surprises me.   Bass is also good. Just set them up very close to the wall and near the corner.  That'll take care of the bass.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back