Audioengine A2 vs Creative T40 vs Bose Companion 20 vs M-Audio BX5a D2
Jan 24, 2012 at 10:40 AM Post #16 of 51
The creative t40's are better than the audioengines a2. Completely.

The creative aurvana live headphones are a rebranded denon d1001 and sell for £50, where the denon sells for £110. A very decent headphone.

Creative are a generally under rated brand here. They aren't a bose or a beats.

Jan 31, 2012 at 10:50 PM Post #17 of 51
I just heard these today at my local Best Buy.  These sounded gorgeous.  I thought I was demoing the Bose C5, but sure enough it was the Bose C20.  There was so much soundstage and bass was fine and dandy for me.  I don't know what it is, but these things sounded amazing!  I have yet to hear Audioengines, but I heard that a local shop  has them so I'll head over sometime and give them a test run.  Until them I most likely will be getting the Bose C20 as an upgrade for myself to use along with a BJC 1/8 to RCA cable to plug into my E10.  :)

Feb 1, 2012 at 12:23 AM Post #18 of 51
Rofl!!!   Are you serious?  Wait....you....are.

Feb 1, 2012 at 6:57 AM Post #20 of 51
I'd vote for the bx5 d2s, superb value imo. However, I have to note that if space/possibly looks are a big concern, the Bose companion 20s actually sound pretty decent, certainly much better than what some would expect from their products. 

Feb 7, 2012 at 11:12 PM Post #21 of 51

Quote:

Thanks, but I don't know where to find cheap amps in Vancouver. Checked Amazon, eBay, and CL, nothing would fit my budget if anything came up. Do you know where I can get them in Canada?

And I don't buy Chinese brands no matter how good and cheap they are.

At this point I might be choosing between the A2 and BX5A D2.

I'm a product designer and it's increasingly vague where products comes from these days. I just did a project which was jointly designed in the US and Singapore, but major parts are manufactured in China and Malaysia, but assembled in Thailand...

Feb 7, 2012 at 11:15 PM Post #22 of 51

Quote:
I just heard these today at my local Best Buy.  These sounded gorgeous.  I thought I was demoing the Bose C5, but sure enough it was the Bose C20.  There was so much soundstage and bass was fine and dandy for me.  I don't know what it is, but these things sounded amazing!  I have yet to hear Audioengines, but I heard that a local shop  has them so I'll head over sometime and give them a test run.  Until them I most likely will be getting the Bose C20 as an upgrade for myself to use along with a BJC 1/8 to RCA cable to plug into my E10.  :)

Here a recent audioengine review for reference. http://www.whathifi.com/review/audioengine-a5-0

Feb 13, 2012 at 8:36 AM Post #24 of 51
I have a pair of Audioengine 2 and they are really fantastic!

When i first got them i was ready to send them back, but after a break-in period, and testing some different positions they now they sounds AMAZING.

I have compared them to M-audio BX5 D2 and i can honestly say that these sounds better.

They sounds pretty similar, but audioengine 2 slightly better in my opinion.

They are so crazy good now! I have had them in 1 and half year now and comparing them to other speakers, and i think the audioengine 2 sounds way better than the most in the price range.

But there is something with theese speakers that is wrong, i think it is the power supply.

My friend also have a pair of Audioengine 2 and they sounds really muddy and not detailed at all in the sound.

They are the same as mine, but his audioengine 2's sounds really cheap comparing to mine, and he agrees with me. Hmmm..

Sorry for my bad english
biggrin.gif

Feb 13, 2012 at 8:57 AM Post #25 of 51
 I have the A5's and I think they do not sound up to par. I can say I think the M-Audio's, more extension in both ends of the spectrum, and much more transparent. People like audioengine because, they have more bass quantity, but the fact remains that their low end is very muddy. 

Feb 13, 2012 at 9:38 AM Post #26 of 51

Quote:
 I have the A5's and I think they do not sound up to par. I can say I think the M-Audio's, more extension in both ends of the spectrum, and much more transparent. People like audioengine because, they have more bass quantity, but the fact remains that their low end is very muddy. 

How long have you had your A5s? Are they fully broken in? Try change the power supply location, try to put the power supply so long away that is possible from your speakers / computer.

If you havent broken in the speakers fully, then that is probably why they sounds muddy. Hope it helps! Also check that the speakers cable is setup right (right polarity)

Feb 13, 2012 at 1:30 PM Post #27 of 51

Quote:

How long have you had your A5s? Are they fully broken in? Try change the power supply location, try to put the power supply so long away that is possible from your speakers / computer.

If you havent broken in the speakers fully, then that is probably why they sounds muddy. Hope it helps! Also check that the speakers cable is setup right (right polarity)

I've had them since August '11. Everything is set up perfect, I've moved them from a location to location. I don't hate them, I just think their low end is flawed. They are very detailed, I'll give them that. Something like the PSB Image B6 is better for the money. And a little bit further up the ladder perhaps the Magneplanar MMG.

Forgot to mention: I bought them in Canada where it retails for around $450, so thats why I feel there is better.

Feb 13, 2012 at 4:21 PM Post #28 of 51

Quote:
I've had them since August '11. Everything is set up perfect, I've moved them from a location to location. I don't hate them, I just think their low end is flawed. They are very detailed, I'll give them that. Something like the PSB Image B6 is better for the money. And a little bit further up the ladder perhaps the Magneplanar MMG.

Forgot to mention: I bought them in Canada where it retails for around $450, so thats why I feel there is better.

Okay!
wink.gif

I have heard the Audioengine 5 once, and i personally like the sound coming from my pair of Audioengine 2s at home more. Personally i think the A2s sounds more detailed, and more open
blink.gif
I must be the only one that think so
atsmile.gif
hehe.

Greetings.

Feb 13, 2012 at 6:17 PM Post #29 of 51
I have thought about the A2s.  I think the size makes them look very nice and of course, save more room.  My question is how good are they?  I listen to metal, rock, latin pop/pop in general, indie, classical, jazz, etc.  If these lil guys would do the job for me, I wouldn't mind investing in a pair.  I don't really want to go all out on monitors as I would be investing in some studio monitors sometime in the future for mixing purposes.

Feb 13, 2012 at 6:45 PM Post #30 of 51
I hated the A2's that I had. The creative t40's sounded better and they don't sound that great to begin with.

Quite a small soundstage and an overall very dark presentation. But you mentioned there being differences between the same models as of their power supplies. That may have been the problem then, but I doubt it. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back