Audioengine 2, not what I expected.
Dec 12, 2011 at 2:24 PM Post #31 of 67
Quote:
I just refunded my Audioengine 2 and bought the larger but actually significantly cheaper M-Audio AV40. I have them in the same place I previously put the Audioengine 2 and these are definately the superior speaker. They have far more controlled bass and lower bass and most importantly have much less of it than the Audioengine 2. The deal breaking point of the Audioengine 2 was for me the crazy exorbitant and uncontrolled bass. It was like they were trying to get as much bass out of the little speaker as possible and this showed in the quality.

lol well that settles that :p

Aug 24, 2012 at 9:46 AM Post #32 of 67
After much research and deliberating, bought a pair of A2's today.  Unfortunately there really doesn't seem to be anywhere I can go demo a decent range of speakers in one place here in Melbourne (cue a flurry of corrections), so I went somewhat blindly into the purchase. 

What swung my decision was the wealth of good reviews, the compact size, the minimalist look and the fact they have front facing bass ports.

I purchased the A2's together with the Audioengine D1 DAC and the rubber speaker stands.  I couldn't wait to get these things home today and try them out!

After a week of speculating and salivating over reviews, I have to tell you that MY HEART SANK when I heard these.  I could not believe I was listening to the speakers I'd read so much about.

First go, I tried them into the onboard soundcard.  They sounded way too bass heavy and muffled.  I've been listening to music via the onboard soundcard through a pair of AudioTechnica ATH M50 headphones and it sounds pretty good (enough to convince me I might not need a DAC at all, but I got one anyway, for good measure).  However, through the A2's the sounds had extremely poor definition - absent mid/highs and a low end that is just MUD.

I did try messing with the EQ settings on the Windows mixer control and have to say I was able to reproduce something a lot more crisper sounding, by boosting higher frequencies and cutting lower ones.  At this point, I convinced myself that the onboard sound was the devil at play here, so unboxed the D1 DAC.

You can probably guess what's coming here, but after the D1 in there was little or NO improvement to the sound.  In actual fact, there is a significant problem that is introduced at this point, as the DAC removes the ability to EQ the sound in the mixer.  You get the DAC default sound and you're stuck with it.  Big problem, given that my A2's do not sound good with their 'stock sound'.

I'm definitely NOT an audiophile.  I have been DJ'ing for 17years and producing dance music as a hobbyist for about 12 though (although not particularly great at either, I should note :wink: ), but I cannot understand why people are having WILDLY different experiences with these.  I can only conclude that either...

1. There are different models going about, or variances in the quality of units
  2. Sound is even more subjective than I thought
  3. My ears are more refined than many of the people impressed by these
  4. My ears are less refined and I'm wrong

Burn in times, placement, EQ settings.  Yeah sure, they'll all make a difference.  But I refuse to accept that they will cure the sound of these things. 

I'm going to give myself the weekend to at least test them repeatedly and make sure (and I will freely admit if wrong!), but the likelihood is that these are going back on Monday (if the supplier will take them back... dear God I hope so)

P.S.  For anyone considering the D1 DAC for use with headphones, I'd say it DID improve the sound from the onboard sound, but it wasn't what you'd call an epiphany.  It makes the sound quality smoother, a bit less bright and digital.  As stated, the cans are ATH M50's and worked fine with it, though they are not the best match in terms of OHMS..

Aug 24, 2012 at 10:13 AM Post #33 of 67
The A2's are just too dark. They would have done better using a Tang Band 3" driver, a notch filter to tame the high freqs, and no tweeter. As it is I'm guessing Audioengine probably tuned the tweeter attenuated too far to make sure it won't be "bright" and people won't complain they "can't get any decent bass" out of it.

I listened to the A2 and the A5+ side-by-side recently just out of my SGS (was too lazy to take my laptop out of the bag since the store display was a little cramped), and the A2 was too dark without much bass impact (the latter I can give up in lieu of a compact form factor though, but for a 2-way the treble was nearly non-existent). I've tried it tilted up to simulate the stands, even bent my knees so they're level with my head - the treble actually attenuated further, although it got smoother, compared to it sitting lower but firing straight. The A5+ had a wider response and was generally more enjoyable, if a bit too large for my needs. Held back on the A2 for now until I can confirm at least that some tweaks can be done to the crossover to get more HF's out of it.

Aug 24, 2012 at 5:44 PM Post #34 of 67
If you think the A2s is too dark, i think something is wrong, or they not burned in totally. Mine sounded like **** in the start. And my friends pair of A2s sounds **** too and too bassheavy, and not good at all, and he have had his for about a half year now and should be burned in.

My A2s is flat and supernice. Try everything you can before send them back, they seems to be sensitive for everything.

The volume knob should be 3/4 on the speakers and then controlling the overall volume with the soundcard. If you put like 2/4 on the speakers they don't sound as good and the bass start to be overpowered.

Make sure the powersupply is working perfectly good and don't have it too near your computer or monitor. Try change the polarity on the power cord.

Please, come back with the results. And sorry for my bad engish
frown.gif
I wish you the best luck.

EDIT: I have listened to A5+ and i think the A2s have more detailed sound, especially the mids, much better and clearer. The highs are as good as on the A5+ for nearfield listening, and if you find them too bassheavy, something is not 100% right.

Aug 24, 2012 at 6:53 PM Post #35 of 67
Seems like burning in speakers is over emphasized in this thread to say the least. The A2 is not near field monitors, nor are they marketed as such so the notion they would need precise placement to get decent sound of them is a bit far fetched.

In short if you have jump to hoops, such as described in this thread Audioengine has failed miserably...

Bottom line i think people expect more then these small speakers can offer, especially at this price point.

Aug 24, 2012 at 8:25 PM Post #36 of 67
Quote:
Seems like burning in speakers is over emphasized in this thread to say the least. The A2 is not near field monitors, nor are they marketed as such so the notion they would need precise placement to get decent sound of them is a bit far fetched.

In short if you have jump to hoops, such as described in this thread Audioengine has failed miserably...

Absolutely!

I'm not hanging around HALF A YEAR to find out if they might improve!  I'm not that familiar with the whole 'burn in' thing, other than that the term gets bandied around on here all too often as a reason why something might not sound up to par.

Sure, I can appreciate that some products improve and relax over time, but I struggle to believe that this speaker is suddenly going to start reproducing the clarity and punch I am seeking out of nowhere.  I note that there ARE a few posts from users who thought these sounded bad initially, then improved over time.  But quite simply, it's not a risk I'm willing to take.

There are also products which sound great out of the box.  My headphones I would cite as an example (M50's as stated above) - I grinned when I put them on for the first time.  Are there better?  Sure!  But they gave me what I wanted - a respectable quality of sound for the pricepoint.  Unfortunately this AU$400+ collection of Audioengine products has left me feeling incredibly disappointed.

Note to all - this is a reminder not to make the same mistake I did and TRY BEFORE YOU BUY!

Some other notes about the A2's (just in my experience):

1. When you turn the volume know on the reverse, there is a horrible static/scratching noise played through the speaker (much less noticeable with music playing)
  2. The volume seems to be slightly imbalanced - the speaker housing the amp seems to get more juice. It's much less noticeable at average and high volumes, but with the vol control on the reverse set low, you can have a situation with one speaker playing and the other not
  3. EQ'ing HUGELY helps these speakers.  It's actually possible to tweak them to sound 'okay', which befuddles me - clearly they reproducing something much better than they were finally set for

MEH!

Aug 24, 2012 at 10:00 PM Post #37 of 67
Quote:
I'm definitely NOT an audiophile.  I have been DJ'ing for 17years and producing dance music as a hobbyist for about 12 though (although not particularly great at either, I should note :wink: ), but I cannot understand why people are having WILDLY different experiences with these.  I can only conclude that either...

1. There are different models going about, or variances in the quality of units
  2. Sound is even more subjective than I thought
  3. My ears are more refined than many of the people impressed by these
  4. My ears are less refined and I'm wrong

Burn in times, placement, EQ settings.  Yeah sure, they'll all make a difference.  But I refuse to accept that they will cure the sound of these things. 

And in your case, you were a DJ. You are used to high dynamic speakers with powerful clean amps. And here you are listening to little 2.75" drivers with tiny tweeters and a cheap amp trying to add sound to a room.  You'd probably need to spend at least $500, but probably close to $1000 (including sub) to get something similar to your M50s. I have Energy Veritas 5.1 bookshelves, Mirage Prestige S10 sub, and an HK 3390, and I think my Ultrasone HFI 580s compete with that setup just fine :)

Aug 25, 2012 at 1:18 AM Post #38 of 67
Let me clarify my last words...

By no means do i think the A2 is a bargain, i believe they are overhyped and overpriced. I referred to someone comparing 1k Focals to Audioengine A5's (which is overpriced and overhyped as well), which is an irrelevant comparison. 

But in line with previous poster, what do you think you can get out of a 2.75" driver at that price ? Again not claiming they are a bargain, but to get something good out of such a small package comes at a price, and usually a very high one.

The whole design with one active speaker and one passive makes for issues and is a design that really put's me off.

Aug 25, 2012 at 4:37 AM Post #39 of 67
Quote:
By no means do i think the A2 is a bargain, i believe they are overhyped and overpriced.

I can't agree. I have compared mine to more expensive Studio Monitors and they held up pretty well. But maybe there is something wrong with yours power supply. As I said, my friends A2s doesn't sound good at all too, they sounds muddy and not very good. Maybe it is the bad china power supply?

Aug 25, 2012 at 5:07 AM Post #40 of 67
Quote:

I can't agree. I have compared mine to more expensive Studio Monitors and they held up pretty well. But maybe there is something wrong with yours power supply. As I said, my friends A2s doesn't sound good at all too, they sounds muddy and not very good. Maybe it is the bad china power supply?

What studio monitors have you compared to the A2, pray do tell ?

You honestly think anyone believes a 2,75"  party PC speaker compares to even a budget 5" reference monitor ? 

The excuses of poor power supply, magic position of the speaker cable, bad batches etc. is either fiction or a testament to Audioengines crappy design/QC.

I suspect a combination of the two.

But let's go with the notion that you have a A2 that performs stellar, and that there are A2's that doesn't performs as well as yours.

That would mean you have to cherry pick to get a good A2, that doesn't scream like your getting your moneys worth now does it ?

Heck money could be better spent on the lottery!

Aug 25, 2012 at 10:22 AM Post #41 of 67
Quote:
What studio monitors have you compared to the A2, pray do tell ?

You honestly think anyone believes a 2,75"  party PC speaker compares to even a budget 5" reference monitor ? 

The excuses of poor power supply, magic position of the speaker cable, bad batches etc. is either fiction or a testament to Audioengines crappy design/QC.

I suspect a combination of the two.

But let's go with the notion that you have a A2 that performs stellar, and that there are A2's that doesn't performs as well as yours.

That would mean you have to cherry pick to get a good A2, that doesn't scream like your getting your moneys worth now does it ?

Heck money could be better spent on the lottery!

I have compared them to Yamaha HS50, Adam A3x, Genelec 6010, M-audio BX5.

The only one that sounded better in my opinion was the Adam a3x.

OF COURSE the bass isn't better or deeper than any of them. But the mids and highs is VERY GOOD and they are very flat and suitable for mixning. ONLY in Nearfield.

Aug 25, 2012 at 11:21 AM Post #42 of 67
Quote:

I have compared them to Yamaha HS50, Adam A3x, Genelec 6010, M-audio BX5.

The only one that sounded better in my opinion was the Adam a3x.

OF COURSE the bass isn't better or deeper than any of them. But the mids and highs is VERY GOOD and they are very flat and suitable for mixning. ONLY in Nearfield.

Im not sure how to respond to such claims...

Other then I pray to god you don't make a living with your ears.

Aug 25, 2012 at 11:49 AM Post #44 of 67
I have a pair of A2s on the Audioengine desk stands.  To my ears, they sound great.

I previously had a pair of M-Audio AV20 (I went through three sets, returning each as the L/R balance was out on each).  I found the A2s a massive improvement.

I had them placed on two house bricks each to bring them up to near ear level before buying the stands - and found having them angled up made a big difference.

For computer music I find them great.

Aug 25, 2012 at 11:54 AM Post #45 of 67
Quote:

You are welcome to listen to my A2s here in Sweden
deadhorse.gif

Thanx i'll pass, that would be a futile mission i'm afraid. Besides Karlskoga is a bit off, and im quite sure your mom wouldn't be to happy with you inviting strangers home...

But you keep burning those babies in and im sure they will sound better then anything money can buy in a few years.

Kind if ironic you are the one using the "dead horse.." emotion icon. A quick glance at your posting history display a clear pattern...I mean some of the post in this is pretty much cut & paste from other threads. Your basically parrot the same thing over and over again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back