Audiobyte Hydra Stack: Hydra.Vox + Hydra.Hub + Hydra Zap
Jan 28, 2021 at 8:04 AM Post #211 of 916
Good for you! But too big for my desktop.

I know with the Hydra.Hub will also up its SQ (at least definition as to what Sandu had said) and other features (upsampling, format converter) so will stick at this route.
Yes all in a nice neat desk top stack , the Hub will certainly be interesting . I look forward to the day I can put back my Evo Aeon server in the main system . ,...Speaking to the Terminator plus it may need the add on box to compete with the Vox stack.

Feb 5, 2021 at 1:13 PM Post #212 of 916
Hello Again Everyone!

Could other Vox owners indulge me a little please?

I would like to know what version numbers your Vox has.
This can be accessed by pressing the I in a circle on the Vox unit's display.

My Vox Reads:

BULLET
FPGA Ver: 1.40
Control Ver: 2.73
Display Ver: 1.19
CAN OK

I would like to know if I'm running the latest firmware.

Thank you for your time,

Lono

Feb 5, 2021 at 1:17 PM Post #213 of 916
Yes you have. Mine I have updated from my distributor last september and its and still:

BULLET
FPGA ver: 1.38

The rest are the same.

Feb 8, 2021 at 7:08 PM Post #215 of 916
Hey guys, what filter is everyone using? I keep using hybrid but might be a smidgen V shaped it seems. What are your thoughts?
The person I borrowed his Vox from to home audition I saw that he used the hybrid filter . When I took delivery of my Vox I choose the hybrid setting and haven’t checked out the other two settings yet ,
I don’t notice any hint of V shaping at all however I’ve been experimenting over the past few months with a few popular brands of USB cables and power cords in my desk top and main system, I will tell you the dac in my main system is 3 times the price of the Vox and using the same server in both system only switching dacs the sonics are close but No cigar , even though this still speaks very high of the Vox .
Im talking pure musicality especially with the tonal qualities of vocals is jaw dropping . Cables make a huge difference , price of them has no bearing on performance, hail Sablon Audio ,..

Last edited:
Feb 8, 2021 at 7:29 PM Post #216 of 916
The person I borrowed his Vox from to home audition I saw that he used the hybrid filter . When I took delivery of my Vox I choose the hybrid setting and haven’t checked out the other two settings yet ,
I don’t notice any hint of V shaping at all however I’ve been experimenting over the past few months with a few popular brands of USB cables and power cords in my desk top and main system, I will tell you the dac in my main system is 3 times the price of the Vox and using the same server in both system only switching dacs the sonics are close but No cigar , even though this still speaks very high of the Vox .
Im talking pure musicality especially with the tonal qualities of vocals is jaw dropping . Cables make a huge difference , high cost has no bearing on performance.
I've been doing the same with cables and you're right, cables make a difference.

Feb 8, 2021 at 8:23 PM Post #217 of 916
Yes most serious people in this hobby that have experienced with this will swear on a stack of Bibles wire certainty make a difference . There is a DIY conversation on Audiogons cable forum high lighting a helix design power cable , I had borrowed some high regard snobby power cords , the helix design I use on my front end components are really impressive compared to a couple highly regarded , well reviewed with a following power cords that sell for a ridiculous price ,.The inexpensive helix power cord on my Vox dac including two on the power supplies of my server along with the Sablon Audio non powered USB cable simply enabled me to hear the true level of performance with these components.

Last edited:
Feb 18, 2021 at 5:04 PM Post #219 of 916
While waiting for the HUB....the Romanian takes an Italian girlfriend.

Excellent pair...

11430073.jpg

Last edited:
Feb 18, 2021 at 6:16 PM Post #220 of 916
Ah yes , Miss Pathos gets around !..

Feb 19, 2021 at 6:52 AM Post #221 of 916
While waiting for the HUB....the Romanian takes an Italian girlfriend.

Excellent pair...

11430073.jpg
Mickey I am curious what your thoughts are using the exceptional Pathos with your headphones comparison to the headphone section of the Vox.

I use a very amplifier friendly headphone the HiFiman 1000SE in my Vox and find playback exceptional however I am completely new to headphone listening my curiosity took over and I’m waiting delivery of an American made headphone amplifier from Sparkos Labs. Though I have zero plans on joining the headphone amplifier flavour of the month club I do look forward to listening to this amplifier.

Feb 19, 2021 at 10:28 AM Post #222 of 916
The Aries I think will do justice to the excellent DAC section of the VOX.

The headamp section of the VOX is pulling back what the DAC can do. At the beginning I thought it was OK. But later I felt that I doesn't give me the oomph I wanted for my headphones. This was also @DarKu 's findings along with its preamp section. And thinking for future upgrade, an opportunity came on the FS section on an amp I had my sights for sometime with a very good price.

With Mullards E188CC its already rich and natural. Haven't placed my '74 and '75 Reflektor 6N23P SWGP silver shield tubes yet.
My face sometimes hurts for smiling...(kidding). But yeah!

Edit: I have an Audio Zenith PMx2 ver.2 as main and an HD600 as backup for headphones.

Last edited:
Feb 19, 2021 at 11:55 AM Post #223 of 916
The Aries I think will do justice to the excellent DAC section of the VOX.

The headamp section of the VOX is pulling back what the DAC can do. At the beginning I thought it was OK. But later I felt that I doesn't give me the oomph I wanted for my headphones. This was also @DarKu 's findings along with its preamp section. And thinking for future upgrade, an opportunity came on the FS section on an amp I had my sights for sometime with a very good price.

With Mullards E188CC its already rich and natural. Haven't placed my '74 and '75 Reflektor 6N23P SWGP silver shield tubes yet.
My face sometimes hurts for smiling...(kidding). But yeah!

Edit: I have an Audio Zenith PMx2 ver.2 as main and an HD600 as backup for headphones.
One late night a happened to come across Sandu of SoundNews review of the Aries , I listened carefully what he said about it and did something I do not normally do , making a purchase decision solely on the words of a complete stranger ,

The Reed stepped attenuator in the Aries takes up more space then the entire headphone section of the Vox however I think the whole idea of the designer of AudioByte is to keep the stack too a specific size which attracted me when I first layed eyes on it .

I had listened to a borrowed Hydra Vox in my main system with a dac that sells for 3 times the price of the Vox , it was close but no cigar and that speaks volumes of the Vox .
Our new home is smaller and using headphones is a must though so far I have adapted quickly thanks to the HiFiman 1000SE .

Feb 19, 2021 at 1:51 PM Post #224 of 916
Try Aries as a preamp too.

Feb 19, 2021 at 2:13 PM Post #225 of 916
Try Aries as a preamp too.
Mickey I may regret not getting the full Aries package , however my head was only wanting a headphone amplifier with no add ons though it may of been very interesting driving the Lamm mono blocks in the main system..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back