Audiobyte Hydra Stack: Hydra.Vox + Hydra.Hub + Hydra Zap
Mar 1, 2021 at 3:32 AM Post #241 of 916
OK but did you compare the pi2aes via I2s with a good USB streamer like the SOtM? Because the sMS200 Ultra make a very clean and precise sound stage, black noise background.

Do you beleave that I2S is alway better?
For me the HUB with DSD is important due to have a complete possibility of Hydra Vox audio reproduction.
i2s pi2aes is better than any usb transport or converter I have heard.

Mar 1, 2021 at 3:36 AM Post #242 of 916
On the Rockna Wavelight thread. Users have very favorable experiences using I2S. IMO I don't care if its USB or I2S as long as I am happy with the sound.

As I said, is tempted to buy a Singxer SU-6 to connect on my Android Player + USB reclock/regen. But since Nicolae had said the HUB will be in production this month. I am resisting the temptation. And will place the money on a power conditioner (yes @mantraone electrical grounding in Rome sucks!).

Last edited:
Mar 1, 2021 at 7:43 AM Post #243 of 916
I use USB I haven’t thought about working in the i2s not until the Hub is finally made available, though I will say I feel what’s up stream of the dac makes a significant difference this will be interesting once the Hub is released .
Mikey Romes electrical grounding code or lack of is it because you live in a old home in need of an electrical update ? We recently had extensive electrical updates done this past November 12k worth and immediately noticed a difference first in picture clarity with our TVs , the noise floor dropped significantly.

Mar 1, 2021 at 8:29 AM Post #244 of 916
i2s pi2aes is better than any usb transport or converter I have heard.
I don’t know about that statement of the i2s connection , could be simply because Rockna utilized this method more so then USB . My server has been utilized specifically for USB , it’s not just a port on a board though other manufacturers of servers and dacs have focused on USB more so then other digital connections, a good example I was just reading about is the Holo May KTE.

Going through cables and finally using Sablon Audio USB cable has significant sonic results over the other USB cables I have tried and the results especially with vocal timbre is uncanny , What I hear is a believable more human sounding living presence with well recorded vocals other cables I experienced simply bleached out timbre details ,,..., it’s a very fragile signal that’s for sure.

This one area for me will be The test if this digital stack with Hub can reproduce this eye opening level of timbre. ,..I mentioned above what’s up stream of the dac will make a significant difference , speaking for myself putting the Hub through this test will make or break my decision on the Hub.

Last edited:
Mar 1, 2021 at 10:46 AM Post #245 of 916
Would someone be able to post the dimensions of the VOX? I cannot find it on the web site or manual.

Mar 1, 2021 at 11:45 AM Post #246 of 916
Width: 272mm
Height: 63mm (including feet)
Depth: 204mm (case only, not including connectors)

Last edited:
Mar 1, 2021 at 11:56 AM Post #247 of 916
I don’t know about that statement of the i2s connection , could be simply because Rockna utilized this method more so then USB . My server has been utilized specifically for USB , it’s not just a port on a board though other manufacturers of servers and dacs have focused on USB more so then other digital connections, a good example I was just reading about is the Holo May KTE.

Going through cables and finally using Sablon Audio USB cable has significant sonic results over the other USB cables I have tried and the results especially with vocal timbre is uncanny , a believable more human sounding living presence with well recorded vocals other cables I experienced simply subtracted details like timbre , it’s a very fragile signal that’s for sure.
This one area for me will be The test if this digital stack with Hub can reproduce this eye opening level of timbre. ,..I mentioned above what’s up stream of the dac will make a significant difference , speaking for myself putting the Hub through this test will make or break my decision on the Hub.
Pi2aes is about $200 total and for sure sounds better than any usb solution I've tried (using i2s). I have tried about 5 or so.

Mar 1, 2021 at 12:10 PM Post #248 of 916
Pi2aes is about $200 total and for sure sounds better than any usb solution I've tried (using i2s). I have tried about 5 or so.
With all things being equal of course ,.....

Mar 1, 2021 at 2:41 PM Post #249 of 916
Thanks for the dimensions info. So the Vox stack would fit into the rack space I have in mind.

Has anyone used the VOX stack DAC direct to a Benchmark AHB2 amp. I just bought another AHB2 amp and I am trying to decide between a Benchmark DAC2 or DAC3 (with a microRendu for streaming) or the VOX | ZAP | HUB. It is really a question of synergy that I need to consider.

Mar 1, 2021 at 3:58 PM Post #250 of 916
I think if you are a roon users, the Hydra HUB, "potentially" could be one of the best optimized DAC for this application in his price range.
We need 1 or 2 month to have answer.

No other I2s roon endpoint can manage DSD512 in my information, correct my if I'm wrong.
It's also true that very few music are this Hight resulution DSD, but...

Mar 1, 2021 at 4:04 PM Post #251 of 916
I think if you are a roon users, the Hydra HUB, "potentially" could be one of the best optimized DAC for this application in his price range.
We need 1 or 2 month to have answer.

No other I2s roon endpoint can manage DSD512 in my information, correct my if I'm wrong.
It's also true that very few music are this Hight resulution DSD, but...
Music can be up-sampled and sent to the DAC from the ROON Core. Though I no longer up-sample myself. So that 512 on the HUB can be used.

I am streaming now from a Ubiquiti Networks switch with fibre ($199) to a Sonore OpticalRendu then USB to the DAC. I compared this with 2 of my RJ45 streamers and it was not even close, the fibre was easily better. My Krell K-300i integrated amp has an internal DAC that supports network streaming to RJ45. My Matrix Mini-i- 3 Pro DAC also has the same type of RJ45 streaming. So I am not so sure if the HUB streaming to RJ45 will be of the highest quality, at least compared to fibre.

Mar 1, 2021 at 4:15 PM Post #252 of 916
Aside the HUB as a reclocker. What interests me is it being an upsampler and format converter. Although I too don't upsample anymore (rather go bitperfect) but is interested what flavor it will bring. So goodbye HQPlayer?

Mar 2, 2021 at 5:00 AM Post #253 of 916
Mar 2, 2021 at 5:35 AM Post #254 of 916
With the upcoming HUB it will act as a network streamer. Will become an endpoint for your Roon server, HQplayer network audio adapter, Airplay and DLNA renderer.
Aside as a reclocker, upsampler and format converter.

But no espresso....

Suggesting just to wait for it.

Last edited:
Mar 3, 2021 at 4:02 PM Post #255 of 916
Just landed my Hydra Vox + Zap

connected and sound great since the begining, bass a little bit uncontrolled, but after 4 hours of listening sound vert good for me, and very deep and push my Living Voice IBX-R2 over they limits never listened before.

Question: how to setup the SOtM sMS200 to play DSD256 and DSD512?

I played in native mode only DSD64 and DSD128 from roon rock with "purple diamond".

Other user here at the beginning of the 3D have a sMS200 too...

Other question: Power cable make any sound difference? No yet tryed but in theory with ZAP do not make sense or Sound Quality change..... Let me know if i'm wrong.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back