Audiobyte Hydra Stack: Hydra.Vox + Hydra.Hub + Hydra Zap
Dec 29, 2020 at 2:19 PM Post #166 of 916
Hello All,

Sorry for taking so long to post, real life’s getting in the way.

So, I got my Vox and I’m really happy with it!
It’s replaced the inbuilt DAC in my Atoll IN300 amp, a AKM AK4490.
I’ve currently got about 15 hours on it and only four of them have been listening hours. Like I said real life. I’ve been stacking up long play lists and playing them at low volume while I have to get on with other stuff.

By the way the firmware update worked, but not before I thought broken it!
I played the update file and the Audiobyte logo on the DAC got the numbers 7373 displayed above it in red. Made me think something had gone wrong. I left it for half an hour and it didn’t change, so I turned it off and back on again and the numbers went away, it was playing music so I thought the update hadn’t worked. However, the display still showing the Audiobyte logo and no playback info. It wasn’t until I pressed the logo on the tough screen that the update started by verifying the file and then applying it. Happy days, though I never saw that last part mentioned in the manual.

Some info on my current setup. Music files are run through an Allo USBridge Signature with a Shanti linear PSU. CDs are played on a Panasonic UB900 standing in for a proper transport. The Vox obviously, in DSD direct mode and the aforementioned Atoll IN300, a great integrated amp with a dual mono layout.

Speakers are Kralk Audio TBD-12’s with a Kralk supplied crossover upgrade using Mundorf MCAPs & Audio Gold resistors. Enjoy the music have a nice review of them is you’re interested. Kralk were a one-man band supplying handmade & bespoke speakers in the UK. The reason for their demise is nothing to do with their quality, more to do with some people brought in who were meant to help grow the company and did the opposite. But, Alan Clark, the designer is still around and will hopefully be making a comeback.

I’ve gone off topic, sorry.

My thoughts on the Vox:
Larger, wider sound stage.
Greater “space” between instruments.
Much more detailed.
More bass, something I felt was a little shy from the Atoll’s DAC.
But the biggest stand out for me has to be vocals. The TDB-12’s has level controls for the high and mid-range (-16 to +3db). Previously, I’d had to turn down the highs by a notch as they sounded too bright for my tastes, even then, a female voice singing a sustained high note could be a little harsh. Not so with the Vox! The level control for the highs has returned to its normal position and vocals, both male and female sound richer and sweeter.

So, I love my Vox and yes, I will be getting the Hub.

Happy listening folks,

Lono.

Dec 29, 2020 at 2:51 PM Post #167 of 916
Congratulations! IME it tooks me around 5 days (125 hrs) of break-in to somewhat settle down. The second week it sounded sweet!

Dec 29, 2020 at 2:57 PM Post #168 of 916
You guys using XLR or RCA out from the VOX to the amp or preamp?

Dec 30, 2020 at 2:24 PM Post #170 of 916
Hello,

best way is to use XLR. But, SE output is very close in SQ.

Best Regards,
Nicolae Jitariu
Audiobyte

I will have a few DACs hooked up to my preamp and I am trying to figure out whch one will go RCA. I only have 2 XLR inputs.

Dec 31, 2020 at 9:15 AM Post #171 of 916
If you want a DAC that has Wifi, Bluetooth, AirPlay2 and ROON READY (soon) check out the Matrix Audio Mini-i 3 Pro. It is great for the price. I sold my Benchmark DAC3B last night so that I can save up for the AudioByte VOX stack. It will have to surpass the Benchmark DAC3B otherwise, I buy that back for the 3rd time. My Matrix was for my bedroom headphone rig and now have it plugged into the office system. It s not to shabby compared to the DAC3B.

Sandu gave a great review on this unit and I agree. I think the Benchmark was a bit better sounding but I have an all Benchmark stack so there must be some synergy there. I am also curious about how different XLR cables made such a massive difference with the Matrix but no difference with the DAC3B. I have a feeling the AudioByte may have the same XLR cable character as the Matrix. I discuss these observations on this thread.

https://forum.audiogon.com/discussi...d-matrix-mini-i-3-pro-benchmark-dac3b#2076790

What have VOX users here noticed about the XLR output to a preamp or amp? Did different cables makes a difference and what is the preamp or amp that it was connected too.

Benchmark DAC is in a completely different category of DAC compared to the Vox. First off it's ugly as hell, and a very different implementation using a Delta Sigma chip, Vox is FPGA. Second separate linear power supply. And third, as good as you (and many others) might think the BM3 Dac is, it's got a dry pro audio tone to it. You'd get a lot more musicality and warmth out of something like this, as well as the Vox being more resolute.

Dec 31, 2020 at 11:00 AM Post #172 of 916
Benchmark DAC is in a completely different category of DAC compared to the Vox. First off it's ugly as hell, and a very different implementation using a Delta Sigma chip, Vox is FPGA. Second separate linear power supply. And third, as good as you (and many others) might think the BM3 Dac is, it's got a dry pro audio tone to it. You'd get a lot more musicality and warmth out of something like this, as well as the Vox being more resolute.

The ugly Benchmark DACs matches my looks so there is synergy there. I actually have no issue with the DAC3B that I just sold. I am looking at buying the Hydra stack (unheard) because of the tech. It seems to me to have the best of everything I like in 1 package (3 items needing only 1 power cord).

I do not like the term musicality for gear. It usually does not match the sound I like. I associated musicality descriptions on forums with sound that is distorted. Most folks have described the sound of the VOX as mostly neutral. I will see if I like it.

I am also going to compare at the same time the Halo May KTE DAC which is an R2R and is supposed to be "musical". However, it does not seem to measure "musical" to me so I will do my own comparison. Maybe keep both or just one. There is the chance both do not stay and the DAC3B comes back to the house for a 3rd time.

Dec 31, 2020 at 11:28 AM Post #173 of 916
So what category is the hydra.vox? Correct me if I am wrong but, my understanding is they are all using "Delta Sigma Modulation Method" yeah? Just that the are implemented differently. Off the shelf chip vs FPGA.

Dec 31, 2020 at 11:31 AM Post #174 of 916
Wow, what a heavy accusation to make of someone trying to maintain an online reputation. You really go for the jugular huh? I mean, if it's true by all means should be called out for racist views, but I don't see any proof of that with my own eyes and ears. Do you have any you could provide? How is he racist? Are you just a keyboard cowboy or would you make this accusation to this person's face?

Honestly, just because someone is outspoken or non compliant to what others might say doesn't make them "viscous" or offensively on the attack. Calling someone out for being inappropriate (much like I am doing here) doesn't make it an "attack". Quite honestly, taking to a forum online, going after someones livelihood by accusing them of one of the worst things you can accuse them of, without ANY proof IS an "attack". And it's racist in and of itself-let that settle with you a while.
Yeah agree. Being assertive and racist are two different things. Honestly, I believe him. He was just being assertive of his viewpoint. And the Vox is not that bad, it just feels "dated" in the digital side of things. And I think a lot of people do not mind it as much as I do since it sounds so good. This is the problem with R&D not adopting to the new era of the economics of scale. Nowadays it is, small but frequent changes towards the end goal. Like apple iphone... every iterations brings changes customers of apple love. And every year people buy a new iphone.

Last edited:
Dec 31, 2020 at 12:00 PM Post #176 of 916
The ugly Benchmark DACs matches my looks so there is synergy there. I actually have no issue with the DAC3B that I just sold. I am looking at buying the Hydra stack (unheard) because of the tech. It seems to me to have the best of everything I like in 1 package (3 items needing only 1 power cord).

I do not like the term musicality for gear. It usually does not match the sound I like. I associated musicality descriptions on forums with sound that is distorted. Most folks have described the sound of the VOX as mostly neutral. I will see if I like it.

I am also going to compare at the same time the Halo May KTE DAC which is an R2R and is supposed to be "musical". However, it does not seem to measure "musical" to me so I will do my own comparison. Maybe keep both or just one. There is the chance both do not stay and the DAC3B comes back to the house for a 3rd time.

If you truly want to hear musical you listen to tubes to establish that reference point. May not be your sound but that is where the best musicality is found. Not with digital.

Dec 31, 2020 at 12:12 PM Post #177 of 916
If you truly want to hear musical you listen to tubes to establish that reference point. May not be your sound but that is where the best musicality is found. Not with digital.

I have heard tubes and for the most part dislike them a lot. Only tubish sounding gear that I could own, and I have demoed, is the SS Luxman m900u and c900u. I was going to get the m900u amp around this time but I got the HPA4 earlier in the year and then it was an easy decision to buy an all Benchmark stack. I live in Southern California so I have the ability to hear almost any piece of audio gear. This is still one of the few places with great dealers still surviving.

I am looking to buy the RAAL SR1a headphones soon and only because I have the AHB2. I hope to have a phone call this morning to clarify some questions on that purchase.

Dec 31, 2020 at 12:13 PM Post #178 of 916
So what category is the hydra.vox? Correct me if I am wrong but, my understanding is they are all using "Delta Sigma Modulation Method" yeah? Just that the are implemented differently. Off the shelf chip vs FPGA.

AudioByte is supposed to be coming out with 3 firmware releases for the VOX that will each have a different sound signature. Just install the one you like to the FPGA. I do not know if you have to pay for each one.

Dec 31, 2020 at 12:47 PM Post #179 of 916

Hydra Vox isn't delta sigma. It's pure DSD, meaning that it converts all incoming signals to DSD (if they're not DSD in the first place, then it might just upsample) and afterwards convert it to analog.

Dec 31, 2020 at 1:09 PM Post #180 of 916
Hydra Vox isn't delta sigma. It's pure DSD, meaning that it converts all incoming signals to DSD (if they're not DSD in the first place, then it might just upsample) and afterwards convert it to analog.

It (DSD stuff) is all done in the FPGA like PS Audio and Chord (not 100% sure). So that is why they can have different flavors of the sound with firmware updates. You choose which one you like. I believe they currently only have 1 firmware release so far.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back