Audiobyte Hydra: High-End USB interface
Apr 7, 2014 at 11:51 AM Post #166 of 189
  Maybe they can test the AES output of the Hydra too :)
I can see it now: Dan will spend all his vacation in London testing the Hydra :)

=)) That would be one of the most expensive reviews I have ever done. 

Apr 7, 2014 at 11:53 AM Post #167 of 189
  =)) That would be one of the most expensive reviews I have ever done. 

"one of the most" is pretty well said. I think your most expensive review will be the MSB Analog DAC one
very_evil_smiley.gif

Apr 7, 2014 at 1:39 PM Post #168 of 189

Dan will visit Razvan (negura) in London pretty soon, he will take his Hydra with him to test with Razvan's PWD 2 :)

Music to my ears! Man, have I ever been waiting for these two to step onto the same dance floor 
L3000.gif

So, now it's time to hang tough and start saving $$ in case it's decided I've got to get this thing.

And yeah, if somehow there can be a PS-Audio DS Dac there to play with as well, that would be icing on the cake.

Apr 8, 2014 at 3:42 PM Post #169 of 189
Since I could use Hydra X+  on BNC output for my hifi system and on coax output for my AV receiver, I would like to know if it will pass or not Dolby and DTS signals for decoding in the receiver.

Apr 9, 2014 at 5:22 AM Post #170 of 189
  Music to my ears! Man, have I ever been waiting for these two to step onto the same dance floor 
L3000.gif

So, now it's time to hang tough and start saving $$ in case it's decided I've got to get this thing.

And yeah, if somehow there can be a PS-Audio DS Dac there to play with as well, that would be icing on the cake.

That soon may happen :)

Since I could use Hydra X+  on BNC output for my hifi system and on coax output for my AV receiver, I would like to know if it will pass or not Dolby and DTS signals for decoding in the receiver.

Haven't tried this myself. Will ask Nucu directly.

Apr 9, 2014 at 7:32 AM Post #171 of 189
I have already asked. The answer was:
"so far we have not tested anything related to Dolby/DTS, so I cannot give you any useful info at this moment. "

May 3, 2014 at 3:03 PM Post #173 of 189
  So what are the sonic differences between the Hydra X and the Hydra X+?

Nothing, according to Audionote.

I emailed them about it when they announced the change on their FB page; they said that some users were experiencing a run-flat issue with the original Hydra-X battery, so they incorporated a different charging/re-charging circuit. Besides that, the guts and the firmware of the convertor are the same, so it should sound the same. 

Besides that, any news on this Hydra-X and PWD Mkii or DirectStream DAC hanging out in the same room?

May 3, 2014 at 7:44 PM Post #174 of 189
PUC2 on AES is preferable to Hydra on I2S on the PWD2. For both of us one owning the PUC2, one owning the Hydra.

May 3, 2014 at 9:12 PM Post #175 of 189
Are there any measurements on the PUC2 to support this device.  The Tech Specs show nothing.  What clocks is it using to re-clock the signal.  How is it being powered, from the USB?  

Sorry but it looks kinda on the cheap side.  For me it will be the Hydra X+, Alpha USB or the OR5/6.   I've heard the Alpha and the OR5, I haven't heard the Hydra-X.  The Alpha USB, OR5 and the Hydra X has great USB isolation from the computer.

May 3, 2014 at 9:52 PM Post #176 of 189
You might want to give the PUC2 a listen.  Looks are deceiving and specs don't tell the whole story.  It's USB powered and it's probably best to use a LPS as a power source via a split USB cable as that way you get COMPLETE isolation from dirty PC USB power.

May 4, 2014 at 6:14 AM Post #177 of 189
  Are there any measurements on the PUC2 to support this device.  The Tech Specs show nothing.  What clocks is it using to re-clock the signal.  How is it being powered, from the USB?  

Sorry but it looks kinda on the cheap side.  For me it will be the Hydra X+, Alpha USB or the OR5/6.   I've heard the Alpha and the OR5, I haven't heard the Hydra-X.  The Alpha USB, OR5 and the Hydra X has great USB isolation from the computer.

This is exactly the point we were discussing at a beer while drawing some conclusions: So much for all the fancy posh about FCPGA, clocks, I2S etc... What's it worth to me if in the end the "cheap" one sounds better. 

The PUC2 was powered via 5V linear regulated PSU and using a Y-split cable. Thus it had clean power.

As someone else said specs and looks are not the whole picture and this was a perfect example.

May 4, 2014 at 6:43 AM Post #178 of 189
Cool, I'm glad you'll found a converter you like.  Unfortunately, I can't say one way or the other.  Just like the Hydra X+..  I have to hear it for my self.  Have fun with the PUC2.

Now back to the Hydra X+.  

Really the only reason I'm looking at this unit is because of the way it isolates the power by using a battery and the companies overall technical approach.  Having an I2S output is just like having a cherry on top - oh yeah not to mention it will pass DSD.

The reason I'm not running to buy this unit is just like the PUC2 above.  Not many impressions or reviews. on the unit.  

May 4, 2014 at 5:00 PM Post #179 of 189
  PUC2 on AES is preferable to Hydra on I2S on the PWD2. For both of us one owning the PUC2, one owning the Hydra.

I've listened to PUC2 indeed on pwd2 and I must say that I liked it more than Hydra in the combo with PWD2. Puc 2 seemed like a better match for pwd2 with better details and transparency.

May 5, 2014 at 1:18 PM Post #180 of 189
I own both hydra-x & hydra-x+. Yes, they sounded different.
I would say the former has better tonality on vocal while the latter has more transparency, power and punchier bass.

If anyone have read the review on 6moon probablly knew that they have replaced it with different brand of battery.
To me, it make sense that different brand or capacity battery change the sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back