Audiobyte Hydra: High-End USB interface
Jan 22, 2014 at 5:40 PM Post #136 of 189
  Ahh come on Dan, is not that late in the night! Here it is:

Ah, that was not a just a owner of a product from audiobyte/rockna .... it was Nucu himself, the producer & designer, the owner of the rockna and audiobyte, indeed.

Don't think this is hydravox, as wavedream uses MSB Dac chips, and I understood he wanted to make his own chips soon and he is still working on that.

I don't know the price for sure. Heard something about 5k eur (without vat) but I am not sure.

Jan 22, 2014 at 5:47 PM Post #137 of 189
Not an owner of a product, the owner of the brand 
wink.gif

Well, I'd look forward to a review on the hydravox at some point, even though I don't always agree with your thoughts on cables and whatnot 
biggrin.gif

Jan 22, 2014 at 5:50 PM Post #138 of 189
  Not an owner of a product, the owner of the brand 
wink.gif

Well, I'd look forward to a review on the hydravox at some point, even though I don't always agree with your thoughts on cables and whatnot 
biggrin.gif

Thank you, for now I am looking forward to hear the wavedream :)), as I think hydravox is a little further down the road. As on the cables, I do believe in them and even passed a blind test done by a friend, but that is not the point.
While I do believe in cables as I said many times before, they should be the last thing to worry about in your system as they are the last upgrade you should make.

Feb 3, 2014 at 2:55 AM Post #139 of 189
Hello,

I have an extraordinary Audiobyte Hydra-X for sale in great condition. For Price + shipping, please send me a PM! I accept only Paypal!
I'm located in Bucharest, Romania.

Regards,

Feb 13, 2014 at 4:33 AM Post #140 of 189
  I am using the Silver Dragon now for some months not even think about to buy something else.The headphone section is better than on HDVD-800 on direct comparison but not better than a 4xboard b22.The best part is the DAC section wich i use when running Stax amplifiers.The DAC is very analog like in it's presentation and when using XLR outputs it makes very good 3D imaging and the DAC has also a filter switch wich i use sometimes depends what i'm listening.Not tested the I2s connection asked Audiobyte about it they answered that they do first have to buy the licences for it.DSD sounds excellent.It has a remote control and that is easy to use you can choose filters volume and source with it.The soundstage is bigger and deeper and more natural against HDVD-800. It has not enough power to run headphones like HE-6 .Smooth/liquid/natural/easy never harsh i like it very much

audiobyte remote/ poor picture

Hi Thinker , I'm new in the forum, and i would like to ask you some impressions about the sound of Silver Dragon. I just bought The Audiobyte Black Dragon (it will arrive my home next month), and as Nicolae told is very similiar to Silver, and I never listened to, I' like to know your impressions. Thank you. Bye.

Feb 27, 2014 at 11:56 AM Post #141 of 189
I have had the new Wavedream for 2 days and I must say it moved up to my top 3 dac recommandation list. (will add it after I review it)

Yes, it has MSB Dac modules (big plus here), but it has a completely new design.

Feb 27, 2014 at 6:45 PM Post #142 of 189
I was looking at that dac back in september and even wrote the guy back and forth a couple times. I ended up going a different direciton since i got such a good deal on the master 7, but i look forward to your impressions of the wavedream!

Feb 28, 2014 at 2:07 AM Post #143 of 189
Very interested to read your review so please post it here or start a new Wavedream thread.

Incidentally, why is there so much spare room in the case? All that 'air' isn't necessary for thermal dissipation so presumably it's to keep the unit to a standardised size? Pity though as compact gear is easier to sneak past the wife!  
wink_face.gif

Quote:
  I have had the new Wavedream for 2 days and I must say it moved up to my top 3 dac recommandation list. (will add it after I review it)

Yes, it has MSB Dac modules (big plus here), but it has a completely new design.

Feb 28, 2014 at 3:28 AM Post #144 of 189
I think there's a power section in the empty part that's not visible in the photos.

Feb 28, 2014 at 3:57 AM Post #145 of 189
Ah OK thanks, as that explanation does make sense. 

Quote:
I think there's a power section in the empty part that's not visible in the photos.

Mar 1, 2014 at 7:03 PM Post #146 of 189

Mine one is a balanced Wavedream using 4 platinum MSB modules. Still under burn-in but I find it sounds very good even fresh from the shipping box. It is a big big improvement in all aspects against its elder brother Wavequest. Vocal reproduction is very touching.........It sounds so good that push me to further fine tune my system.

The power compartment is sealed next to the front panel. It seems there are 3 toroidal power transformers inside.

Below is a link to Hong Kong dealer posting. Although it is written in Chinese mainly, hope you guys could feel the passion and fun.
http://www.hiendy.com/hififorum/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=69119&extra=page%3D1

http://www.odysseyaudiohk.com/eng/wavedream.html

Disclaimer: I am not associated to Rockna or Rockna's agent in Hong Kong. 

Mar 3, 2014 at 7:37 PM Post #147 of 189
Wondering how Wavedream would do against DP-777 from AMR. I guess technically Rockna stuff is more advanced, though DP-777 has multibit onboard (heard somewhere that MSB uses PCM1704 in their modules, anyone can confirm?) and tubes...

Mar 3, 2014 at 8:38 PM Post #148 of 189
Wondering how Wavedream would do against DP-777 from AMR. I guess technically Rockna stuff is more advanced, though DP-777 has multibit onboard (heard somewhere that MSB uses PCM1704 in their modules, anyone can confirm?) and tubes...

MSB doesn't use 1704 chips. Back in the day they used too, and Rockna/Audiobyte make a dac that uses the pcm1704. But the MSB modules are completely custom for MSB using precision laser cut resistors.

Mar 3, 2014 at 9:48 PM Post #149 of 189

MSB doesn't use 1704 chips. Back in the day they used too, and Rockna/Audiobyte make a dac that uses the pcm1704. But the MSB modules are completely custom for MSB using precision laser cut resistors.

Thanks, that clears things a bit. Still, wondering how it'd go against AMR's c/a thingy. Read here and there that it's excellent piece of hardware. My only fear is that its multibit c/a chip operates only on 44.1 signal. Don't really care much about other DAC that's inside DP-777. I can imagine that DP-777 has ton of enjoyable musicality onboard. Heard a while ago Lampizator Stage 4, and it was incredible. That's why I'm into multibit + valves so much. Fikus, the Lampizator Guy, uses same Philips dac that's inside DP-777 AFAIK.

And, of course, that Rockna piece of hardware looks great. If anyone has impressions on sound, that would be nice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back