Audio46 Product Tour - Final Audio A5000 Earphones
Jan 13, 2023 at 5:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Audio46

Sponsor: Audio46
PRODUCT TOUR HEADFI A5000.png

Hello again Audiophiles,

Audio46 is back to do a tour, and this time it's for the Final Audio A5000 Earphones.

Product Tour Program Rules:
  1. Our Product Tour programs are only available to USA residents. We are restricted from shipping outside the USA.
  2. Sign up using our Tour Sheet. Up to 3 eligible reviewers will be selected. We'll contact and announce them soon after sign ups end on Jan 20, 2023.
  3. If you are selected, you will get the product for one week (7 days) to use in your home with your devices.
  4. After your one week is up, you must safely pack up the unit and send it to the next participant. We will supply the shipping label.
  5. You must write a review and post it on this thread--our announcement for the Product Tour. Please post it here before you post it anywhere else. The review must be posted within 30 days after your demo period is up.
Tour Participants List:
(We opened it up to 4 reviewers)
@gc335
@Wolfhawk46
@tamtrum
@freeryder05

[Email correspondence will be through tour@audio46.com. You may need to add us to your contact list to avoid our responses landing in your spam box.]

Last edited:
Audio46 Audio46 is the destination store in NYC to demo and buy headphone products. Stay updated on Audio46 at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Audio46 https://twitter.com/Audio46NYC https://www.instagram.com/audio46/ https://audio46.com/ info@audio46.com
Jan 14, 2023 at 3:55 PM Post #3 of 7
Finally, a 2-pin plug! Great get away from mmcx

Feb 20, 2023 at 1:20 PM Post #5 of 7
The new Under $500 Champion

Pros: Small
Light
Great fit
Good comfort
Excellent bass
Great Mids
Surprisingly balanced Highs
Price
Durable finish

Cons: A small amount of sibilance
Bass can occasionally overwhelm mids

A5000 Case.jpg

Original Logo Small.png

Overview:

Up for review today are the new Final A5000 which have been provided to me by Audio46 as part of a review tour. That means that I get to keep them for a week before passing them along to the next person on the list. As I have paid no money and received no compensation of any kind for this review, there is literally zero reason for me to be biased in any way, shape, or form. It’s possible I’m a little bitter because they sent me this really cool IEM, made me spend hours writing a review, and then they’re making me give it back haha. So yeah, let's talk a little about the Final A5000 and why I like it.

The A5000 retails for $279 and comes from the Japanese company Final Audio. They come with the in-house F-Core DU driver – which I guess is some sort of 6mm Dynamic Unit driver. The driver front is made out of brass instead of aluminum to reduce magnetic force and the voice coil uses the least amount of adhesive possible. Soo, uhh…pretty sure that means it’s a small single Dynamic Driver with the classic Japanese build quality – but whatever. On the plus side, it sounds really good if you’re wondering why you should buy this single DD instead of literally hundreds of other options.

A5000 Box.jpg

Accessories/Earpads/Eartips (8/10):

Very nice, but at this price, it should be. The TRUTHEAR HEXA comes with similarly nice accessories for only $80, so what does the A5000 provide that the HEXA doesn’t? For starters, Final Audio ear tips. These are widely considered some of the best ear tips to buy aftermarket for your IEMs, and I have a pair of the E Type sitting on my desk (also from Audio46.) They’re fantastic with a good fit, seal, and low in-ear noise – also they made the shaft of each ear tip different colors so you can figure out which ear is left and which is right. Now, I’m not using the ones that came with the A5000 because it’s a review unit, and who knows how many other people have had these in their ears (eww), so that doesn’t help me. Instead, I’m using the phenomenal Spinfit W1s that I use for basically everything since I haven’t found something they won’t fit on yet and they give me a great seal and excellent sound quality (Here if you want a pair.)

The other accessories included are quite nice. The rubber case included is legit and I prefer it to most of the leather/metal cases that come with higher-end IEMs. It will resist bumps in a backpack and looks like it will keep everything safer than most cases (especially metal, who thought that was a good idea…Empire…) The only issue I foresee with this case is if it gets crushed – it should really have a plastic shell somewhere to prevent that. So, be careful where you put the case in your bag because it won’t handle being crushed too well. That’s it for accessories, no extra filters, no brush, etc. Personally, I couldn’t care less as I don’t use any of that stuff anyways, but if it factors into your decision, it’s something to keep in mind – there’s nowhere near Mezzo LE levels of swag included (nor should there be at this price.)

A5000 Box Open.jpg

Cable (8/10):

This is actually something of a mixed bag for me. The cable itself I actually pretty nice as it’s thin and flexible, but a good quality 8core braid. It’s also silver-coated copper, which is one of the better cable options. The cable itself kinks a little and has some memory retention, but nothing offensive, especially in this price range. It’s a shame that it comes with 3.5mm instead of a swappable kit, but it’s not a big deal. You can pick up a nice Kinera Ace or Leyding Modular cable if you want balanced 4.4mm/2.5mm instead (Here and Here.) There aren’t a ton of IEMs in this price range or below that come with a modular kit either.

Here's the weird part of the cable. Instead of having the ear hooks built in, Final has opted to include soft silicone ear hooks…separately. So, when you get your cool new Final A5000…you get to install some ear hooks…somewhere on the wire. They sort of lock in with tiny silicone locks, though there are no guidelines on where to put them, and I guess if normal ear hooks drive you crazy with their lack of adjustability because you have a massive ear-to-ear canal gap, these will be great for you. I gave up after trying the first one and removed it very quickly and just used them like the Moondrop Chu. It just wasn’t worth messing around with for a review unit – if I owned these, I’d probably obsess over the ear hook placement for an hour until I got it perfect, but I don’t have that kind of time and it didn’t really make a difference. Oh, and Final says they did it this way to decrease microphonics when walking, and a fast test with that shows it does work…but why not just attach them to the cable? If it’s good enough for PW Audio’s $2,400 First Times cable, it should probably be OK for the A5000.

A5000 Cable_Back.jpg

Build Quality/Comfort (10/10):

Yeah, it’s a 10/10 here. Not only does the A5000 come with a really neat matte/gloss finish that looks like something you’d find at REI, but the fit is phenomenal. These are the first IEM I’d really encountered shaped like the inside of my ear that actually sits inside my ear. They’re small and thin and it makes me wish more IEMs did this. They just disappear in there and won’t hit anything and won’t pop out on accident. The crap-tastic Chu is the only IEM to sort of pull this off previously, but only because it was tiny, not because it was shaped correctly. These may be the most comfortable IEMs I’ve ever worn, and they just feel more rugged than normal IEMs while remaining very lightweight. They also don’t pick up fingerprints thanks to the mixed finish. Well done Final – expect to see 15 copies of this design this year.

Sound:

I don’t have a frequency response chart for these since they’re brand new and no one has felt like sending me an IEM test rig yet. You’ll just have to base your thoughts on my descriptions below I suppose. I’m powering these from my Shanling M6 Ultra – which the A5000 does sound better on than my M3 Ultra, so your source will change your experience (as with anything really.) It is a minor difference here though, unlike some TOTL IEMs which can have a huge difference (UM Multiverse Mentor, Noble Kublai Khan.) With the 3.5mm unbalanced jack, I am running these between 45-50/100 volume. I’ll be comparing these with the similarly priced Moondrop Blessing 2 with the W1 tips at the same volume level (which has an AWFUL stock cable I might add.) I’ll include the Blessing 2 and HEXA Squig.Link so you have some idea where we’re at here.

Blessing Hexa.png

Lows (18/20):

Starting off with the Mid-bass/Sub-bass test I’m using David Guetta’s “I’m Good (Blue).” The intro bass drums have good impact, but nothing too crazy/overwhelming. The sub-bass at 0:38 is surprisingly strong, uncommon for Eastern IEMs – Final has definitely learned what the Western market likes. I’d guess close to 68-70 dB on the sub-bass.

Up next is Demon Hunter’s “I Am A Stone,” which I use to test whether the bass is too strong and overwhelms the rest of the song. The A5000 gets a pass here, but it’s pretty close to being too strong – not DQ6S strong, but there are definitely parts where the bass-strings come in a little overwhelming.

I’m adding one more bass test song on here for funzies – S3RL’s “Feel the Melody.” The bass drum kick is excellent on this song and it doesn’t overwhelm the vocals or synths. The overall bass quality/quantity of the A5000 is really good, dang near top-notch, but without the soul or quantity that some of the best bass IEMs have (Thunder, MM, MEST, etc.) It definitely won’t make a basshead happy if that’s your thing, but for anyone who enjoys bass presentation without blowing your brains out of your skull each time the drums hit, these will make you really happy.

Mids (16/20):

Weaving The Fate’s “The Fall” is a great guitar test song for mids and vocals. The Final A5000 continues to punch far above its weight on this song. The clean and distorted guitars both sound very detailed and clean with no additional distortion or bloat. The bass guitars can still be heard in the background clearly and they don’t overwhelm the mids here – impressive since they can fade into the background on some IEMs. The vocals are clear and forward enough that they don’t sound like an afterthought. Overall, mids are great on here.

Staind’s “Something to Remind You” has beautifully clean guitars and wonderful vocals. The A5000 does a good job representing Aaron Lewis’s voice and the guitar, where even his fingers moving on the strings can be heard. When he hits certain lower notes there is some bloat and extra reverb though. The bass guitar can be clearly heard and can somewhat distract from the mids as I saw on “I Am A Stone.” Still, the overall mids presentation from the A5000 is far above what it costs – these are easily becoming my bang-for-the-buck IEM under $500 (I wish I still had the HEXA to compare the two because I think the A5000 beats the HEXA - my previous best under $500, and still my best under $100.)

To test classical mids, I’m using The Piano Guys' “Code Name Vivaldi.” Dang, once again the A5000 manages to punch far above its weight here. The strings sound phenomenal – are we sure this isn’t secretly a hybrid? The bass can overwhelm the mids a tad once more, but the overall quality is so much better than the A5000’s price indicates. I really can recommend these to almost anyone looking for an IEM in this price range – as long as you don’t want it to look fancy or colorful and you don’t hate bass.

Highs (16/20):

To test sibilance on headphones I use Panic! At The Disco’s “High Hopes.” Typically, the better the highs on my later test songs, the worse a headphone does on the sibilance test. Sadly, the good highs on “The Alien” are there at the cost of some sibilance on this song. It’s not the worst I’ve ever heard or even close, but it’s definitely there. A shame because this song sounds really good on the A5000 and it’s only occasionally interrupted by some sharpness/sibilance.

The first highs test song I’ll be using is Dream Theater’s “The Alien,” which I use to test and see if the cymbals/high-hats/snare can be clearly heard and distinguished from the rest of the music. On the A5000, the cymbals can be heard separate from the drums and guitars, but they’re not clean or clear like they can be on more expensive IEMs. So, if you want really good highs quality, look elsewhere – if you want good highs separation, you’ll get that from the A5000 – the cymbals and high-hats are not lost in the background.

Michelle McLaughlin’s “Across The Burren” is another of my favorite highs/sharpness test songs as it can easily sound painful on some headphones. The Final A5000 performs admirably and it is clearly tuned to prevent the sharpness that can occur with this type of music. Each piano note comes in beautifully. That said, it's right on the edge of sharp, where it almost hits that sharpness, so I suppose on some songs it may cross into that region, but it doesn’t here and that’s a massive win for the A5000. The Blessing 2 doesn’t fair as well here, with somewhat more sharpness.

Soundstage/ Instrument Separation (8/10):

The soundstage of the A5000 is really good – I can’t figure out how Final pulled it off with a single 6mm driver. There’s a real sense of depth that you can’t get on some significantly more expensive hybrid IEMs. It makes the Blessing 2 feel flatter and less engaging. I honestly don’t know how a single driver has this level of separation – I think Final secretly put 3 drivers in here, how can a single tiny driver compete with the Blessing’s 5 drivers? It’s just fantastic, you can clearly hear each instrument where they’re supposed to be – this is one of those headphones like the HEXA that makes me question more expensive headphones.

Comparisons:

The Blessing 2’s mid-bass is tighter but less impactful and the sub-bass is nowhere near as strong. The Blessing 2 HAS sub-bass, but you can easily tell the difference back-to-back – get the DUSK if you want a Blessing with sub-bass. The Blessing 2 has cleaner mids presentation overall – more clinical if you will, but it loses some of what makes the A5000 special with that presentation. That really covers the difference between these two in a nutshell – the Blessing 2 is cleaner with less sub-bass and it’s the choice for people who want colorful faceplates or who hate bass and just want to listen to really clean vocals and instruments – NOT EDM or anything you want to hear the bass on. The A5000 can do it all, but that increased bass response does mean that you can clearly hear the bass drums/guitars/synths more to the front on some songs.

The A5000 also has slightly more highs-separation than the Blessing 2. The A5000 also has less sharpness/sibilance on the highs – it’s pretty painful on the Blessing 2, though still not the worst I’ve heard. The soundstage and instrument separation on the A5000 are significantly better than the Blessing as well.

A5000 Front.jpg

Conclusion:

I’m blown away by these, I kind of think that Audio46 just sent these out on tour because they know how good they are and they wanted to erase the bad memories of the A4000. Anything over 80 from me is really good, especially since I stopped taking price into account - if I did, these would likely be over 90. I’m going to use the term giant-killer here because, like the HEXA, these punch FAR above their price. The bass is powerful and tight, the mids sound really good, and the highs are surprisingly talented. These are the new IEM to beat under $500, the Blessing 2 is officially dethroned as the king of under $500 IEMs unless you want your IEMs to look fancy (which admittedly is why I bought my pair.) I wish Audio46 would let me keep this pair for future reviews, but I may have to grab a used pair from a friend instead.

Headphone Scoring (v3):
Accessories / Earpads / Eartips (10/10):8
Cable (8/10):8
Build Quality/ Design / Comfort (8/10):10
Lows (19/20):18
Mids (17/20):16
Highs (15/20):16
Soundstage / Instrument Separation (9/10):8
Total:84

Last edited:
Feb 21, 2023 at 9:50 PM Post #6 of 7
Very fun IEM!
Pros: Stunning bass
Great build
Outstanding value
Cons: Slight dip in the mids
Sound is fit dependent
Intro and disclaimer

When I saw the Final Audio A5000 review come up, I was pretty eager to sign up. I’ve never heard any Final Audio headphones or IEMs. After my IE600 review, I started to really get curious about single driver IEMs.

Thanks to Audio46 for setting up this tour. I was loaned the A5000 in exchange for my honest option. At no point did they influence my decision. My thoughts are my own. They can be purchased here.

Gear Used

Chord Mojo 2 (No Eq)

Sennheiser IE200 Stock Med Silicone Tips

Sennheiser IE600 Stock Med Silicone Tips

Final Audio D5000 Final Audio (included) Medium Tips

Packaging/Unboxing

The packaging is basic but high quality. You open the box and there is foam holding the tips and IEM case in place. I’m not big on packaging because usually it’s out of sight and mind after the initial unboxing. I’d rather see the price lower versus over-the-top packaging.

IMG_4190.JPGIMG_4191.JPG

Accessories

The A5000 comes with ear hooks, cable, case and an assortment of ear tips. The cable has a really nice look and feel to it that turned out to be very tangle resistant. It felt pretty premium especially considering the A5000’s price point. The tips are also of really high quality. I bought a set of the same tips a few years ago on a friend’s recommendation and I have used them a lot. Lastly, the case is neat clamshell design. It has a premium feel.

IMG_4195.JPGIMG_4196.JPG

Build

The A5000s are made of plastic but have a premium and feel. They look like they will hold up well over time. There is a nice texture to the outside of the IEM that adds to the feel of quality. I have zero complains on the build of the IEMs or the cable.

IMG_4197.JPGIMG_4198.JPGIMG_4199.JPGIMG_4200.JPG

Fit

At first, I really struggled with the fit on these. Sometimes I have issues with my right ear with IEMs but this one seemed harder than most. It may be the angle of the nozzle. I also have issues with 64 Audio IEMs. I’m not sure if it is the shape of the shell or the angle of the nozzle. I tried 15 different tips of various brands, styles, and sizes. The medium final audio tips with deeper insertion seemed to get the best sound and fit. A good fit is essential for these. They have little forgiveness for a bad seal.

Overall sound signature

Overall, the A5000 has a V shaped signature. I am normally not a measurement type of guy, but I feel like there are some holes in the signature. There seems to be energy missing in the mids that leads to some vocals sounding a bit recessed and just off. The overall presentation comes across as a bit cold. That said, there is a fair amount of energy in the treble, and it gives the sound a nice sense of air and detail. The sub bass reaches very deep but the mid bass feels slightly lacking. That said, they still shine with electronic and pop music. These would not be the first pair of IEMs that I would reach for when listening to music like classic rock.

Imaging and stage were very good. Placement of instruments was spot on, and the stage was neither too wide nor too in your head.

Bass

The bass on these is addictive. Once you get a good fit, these kick like a mule. They give so much energy to EDM and other genres that benefit from solid kick drums. There does seem to be a bit of mid bass missing that extends to the lower mids. It gives an overall colder feel to these IEMs. Some of it may have been scooped out due to not getting a perfect seal. As mentioned earlier, I struggled a bit with the fit.

Mids

As mentioned before, there is a dip in the mids that affects male vocals a bit more than female. It is not huge, but it is there. This is not a major issue to me but wanted to point it out.

Treble

The treble is very nice on these. There is a lot of energy in the upper frequencies which gives a nice feel of clarity and detail. At times, it did lead to a bit of a harsh sound and a bit of sibilance in the vocals. I like treble so I did enjoy it on most tracks. It also depended a bit on how the track was mastered.

Imaging and Stage

I’m not great at describing staging but I never felt like the sound was so wide it was disjointed or so narrow it felt like everything was in my head. I am better at perceiving vertical staging and these are not lacking there. They do not have the same height as the Sennheiser IE600 but those are more expensive. Imaging was also very good. The track that I use for imaging came across as very precise. Bottom line, I have no complaints about the imaging and staging. It exceeds their price point in quality.

IMG_4185.JPG

Comparisons – Each comparison was made against the A5000. Please keep in mind that the IE600 is double the price of the A5000 and the IE200 is almost half the cost of the Final Audio A5000.

Afterglow – Emancipator

Final Audio A5000 – Wow the bass! It reaches so low. Great extension. I’m liking the bass on this track. At higher volumes, the treble is a touch aggressive but does give the track a nice sense of air and detail. Mild harshness only creeps in at higher listening levels.

IE200 – Still has a nice rumble with similar quality but less quantity. There is less treble but still enough sparkle. It’s a touch less harsh at times than the A5000. With this track there is slightly less width to the stage.

IE600 – Even more bass versus the Final Audio. Very good. More elliptical sound stage but not radically different. A bit less treble energy but still a good sense of clarity and detail

Lindsey Stirling - Elements (Orchestral Version)

Final Audio A5000 – Nice wide-open staging. The treble is just right here giving that nice sense of clarity and attack to the violin. I do notice there seems to be less energy is parts of the mid-range. The violine is generally a little more forward in this track. Still very enjoyable.

IE200 – The flat nature of the IE200 is noticeable. The violine feels a touch more forward. There is not as much sparkle in the treble but still not what I would consider lacking. Again, bass quality is about the same but less quantity. The IE200 here is a bit easier to listen to at higher volumes because it never gets harsh anywhere.

IE600 – The stage is a bit narrower but taller. There is a better sense of clarity with the IE600. Besides staging, they sound close with this track.

Grateful Dead - Touch of Gray

Final Audio A5000 – Vocals are pushed back a bit. I notice the dip in the mids here a bit. With this track, I feel like the V shaped signature is a bit more noticeable. That said, it still sounds great with nice detail. The Treble is getting close to showing a bit of sibilance but nothing noteworthy.

IE200 – Very even sound. A bit more mellow. They sound very similar. The IE200 feels warmer. With more mid bass and lower mid presence.

IE600 – The vocals are more forward. The A500 feels a bit cold with this track. The IE600 just feels a bit more polished and. For classic rock, the IE600 is more enjoyable in my opinion.

Angus and Julia Stone - Yellow Brick Road

Final Audio A5000 -Bass is a bit much with this track. The issue is more that the track is mastered on the warm side. Again, the male vocals are a touch recessed.

IE200 – The flatter signature of the IE200 helps with this track. This track sounds phenomenal with the Sennheiser. For whatever reason the treble difference with this track is not as large when compared to some of the other tracks.

IE600 – Also a bit too much bass on this track at higher volumes. It overwhelms the rest of the sound just a bit just like the A5000. Again, the issues is a bit more with the mastering.

Alison Krause - It Doesn’t Matter

Final Audio A5000 – The low end is oh so good with this track. It’s just right for my preferences. The treble gives a sense of detail without being harsh.

IE200 – A bit less rumble in the bass. The female vocals are a bit more forward. Slightly less aggressive attack on the guitar plucks due to a touch less treble. Still a great sound.

Eric Clapton - Old Love Unplugged

Final Audio A5000 – This track got a touch harsh in the treble at higher volumes. Overall, great stage and precise imaging.

IE200 – I notice a narrower but taller stage. Vocals are slightly more forward. With this track, the more intimate state works a bit better on this IE200.

IE600 – The stage feels more like a live performance. I think with track you really notice where the extra funds go with the IE600. The Final Audio is no slouch, but this track is more enjoyable with the IE600.

Caroline No – Still Waters Run Deep

Final Audio A5000 – Again, the bass is so good here. Deep and textured. There are touches of sibilance her voice but it’s not too bad.

IE200 – Similar bass but it feels like it reaches a bit lower with a bit more control. Vocals are a bit more forward with less sibilance.

IMG_4203.JPG

Conclusion

Overall, the A5000 was a pleasure to listen to once I got a good fit. Adding a bit of mid bass with the Mojo 2’s EQ made a big difference to make the A5000 a bit more well-rounded for my preferences. I don’t EQ a lot but the Final Audio A5000 took the eq very well.

Great bass, nice build, quality accessories. There is a lot to like about the A500 especially at this price. Great release by Final Audio. It makes me want to hear some of their other offerings.

Mar 20, 2023 at 2:09 PM Post #7 of 7
I was sent this unit as a member of the audio46 A5000 tour! This was the first time I was included on a review tour and it’s exciting for me to try this IEM. I have not been paid, bribed, drugged or accosted for a good review. I was only given a product in exchange for an honest review.

Now that the boring stuff is out of the way we are going to get to the A5000. I did most of my listening tests price and configuration blind. I just wanted to see where it would go and how it would sound to me just out of the box.

I have updated some of my sources as I have been more involved. I am now using Apple Music Lossless with either an Apple Dongle or my RS6. I don’t think lossless makes a difference to my ears, but now I can’t be accused of my issues being lossy files.

Fit: I was very surprised by this IEM size and shape. It looks weird and has a shallow fit, but it works. I was able to wear it for the 2 hours I spent reviewing and a few hours getting used to it. These things are insanely light. The plastic shells feel like some good quality plastic with a nice texture to them. The cable is nice and light weight as well. Overall, if fit is an issue for you, this could be a winner. It’s not as good as the IEX00 series from Sennheisser, but it’s quite nice. 7/10

Sound: I am going to get into region performance, but I would say overall this IEM is pretty much just ok. If I had to put a number on the hobby, I would say that 90% of things are fine, but not outstanding and usually overpriced, 5% is outstanding and worth the price and the last 5% is stuff is just not good. When I checked the price of the A5000, I was pretty sad. It falls into a no man’s land. There are cheaper IEMs that sound significantly better. I would call the A5000 a mild V shape leaning bright (almost sibilant). The timbre for instruments is mostly fine until you get to the treble. The treble is harsh and hazy while also sounding very tinny. If you are still reading from here, I guess we’re going on an adventure.

Bass: The bass feels very coherent and textured. I would say the bass is one of the main strengths of the A5000. It has some punch and even some slam when required to do so. I looked up the driver configuration after blind listening and was surprised. I would have assumed a 4BA or hybrid setup, but it’s just one DD. The bass texture through to the mids is the strength of this IEM. It helps acoustic music and male vocals come through clean and easy. The bass is surely a positive of this IEM overall, but for a budget single DD the IE200 is still my go to option. The IE200 can better separate bass texture and amount from the mids while also doing the other regions more justice. 6/10

Mids: I would say that the mids on the A5000 are its main attraction. The bass is good. It’s tactile, separated and not muddy, but the mids are thick and natural. My biggest issue with the IE200 is that the mids can feel a bit thin and wispy without EQ. The A5000 is meatier with much more body. Male vocals remain front and center and guitar plucking is nice and easily distinguishable. It doesn’t compare to IEMs like the Blessing 2, Meteor IE600 or some of my favorite budget options like the FDX1. Overall the mids are fine, just like the bass. There are no glaring issues, but it falls within average for me. 6/10

Treble: This is where it all falls apart for me. Treble is a knife’s edge: too much and it’s a painful listen and too little sucks out detail and air. I would say the A5000 hits painful more often than it doesn’t. Listening to high percussion on jazz tracks by Pat Metheny Group or Art Blakey are hazy and sibilant. The rides, cymbals, hi hats and tambourines are very strident and lack the separation and clarity I would hope to find in an IEM at this price. If I had to describe it, the treble sounds like it’s a 128kbs MP3 that has been copied a few times. Compared to the bass and mids, the treble is a rough rough experience 4/10

Imaging and Separation: I would call this IEM average in both without much to say. It exists and can do both while not really excelling at either. 5/10

TLDR: I would say that this IEM, price no object, exists and is not a bad option. I can see it being an IEM that people might like due to its fit and really nice mid and bass presentation. If I had to make a purchase, I would save some cash and get the IE200. I think it has better imaging and separation while also being $100 cheaper. Both can come across strident in the treble, but IE200 is definitely more controlled and defined. The A5000 is a solid option that falls in no man’s land due to price and the increasingly powerful budget options in the lower budgets.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back