Audio-Technica's Take on the Microdriver: ATH-CKN50 and CKN70
May 24, 2013 at 5:33 PM Post #211 of 294
Yeah I guess I might give them a listen but c'mon man, they cost £7.49 so I doubt they'll be that good.

I know mate, but Brainwavz Alpha cost me like £8 and they sound on par with SoundMAGIC E10 which cost upwards of £30.

So that proves once again that price is irrelevant a lot of the time.

May 24, 2013 at 10:43 PM Post #212 of 294
Quote:
I know mate, but Brainwavz Alpha cost me like £8 and they sound on par with SoundMAGIC E10 which cost upwards of £30.

So that proves once again that price is irrelevant a lot of the time.

Yeah I get your point but obviously there is a limit in what £7.49 iem's can compete with. For example, I doubt it's possible for them to compete with a £50+ iem.

May 26, 2013 at 10:49 AM Post #213 of 294
I have the CKN70 on the way.  Should I replace the tips?  If so, which is the best?  SHE3590?

May 26, 2013 at 11:21 AM Post #214 of 294
I have the CKN70 on the way.  Should I replace the tips?  If so, which is the best?  SHE3590?

That seems to be the concensus.

Although try them with stock tips first and only replace if you need to.

May 31, 2013 at 5:43 PM Post #215 of 294
I just received used CKN70 (over 700 hours burn in) and I foiund that the treble is too bright/sharp.  Since they are too bright/sharp, the timbre/tone is not correct.  For example, the snare drum and tom don't sound right because the treble is too high.  I tried the largest and 2nd largest stock tips.

Will switching to the Philips SHE3590 tips fix this issue, or do I need to try other IEMs?  I do love the clarity and detail, but don't like the timbre/tone.

May 31, 2013 at 7:43 PM Post #216 of 294
Quote:
I just received used CKN70 (over 700 hours burn in) and I foiund that the treble is too bright/sharp.  Since they are too bright/sharp, the timbre/tone is not correct.  For example, the snare drum and tom don't sound right because the treble is too high.  I tried the largest and 2nd largest stock tips.

Will switching to the Philips SHE3590 tips fix this issue, or do I need to try other IEMs?  I do love the clarity and detail, but don't like the timbre/tone.

Digirato has said in this thread that they do fix your issue. Me personally, I don't find them that harsh but maybe I'm just not as sensitive to treble as others. Slight sibilance but not too the extent that it bothers me much. Btw I prefer the stock tips over the Sony Hybrids that I tried with these.

May 31, 2013 at 11:12 PM Post #217 of 294
Quote:

Try using the sony hybrids. I really like them a lot. In fact, try as many tips as you can. Different tips alter the sound from stock tips.

Jun 1, 2013 at 11:10 AM Post #218 of 294
Quote:

I was like you in having 800 hours of burn-in on my CKN70s and they were still painfully bright/sharp. Someone suggested the Philips 3590 tips reporting outstanding results. I don't know why but the Philips tips completely solved the problem for me. They produced a clean, detailed, smooth treble sound signature which was just what I was hoping for. It's either the geometry of the 3590 tips or that combined with the material they're molded from but in any case the difference was remarkable.

One other poster reported good results after I did so that's just a total of three people having good results but the low price of the 3590s makes the risk minimal. Hopefully others will post their impressions whether they be good, bad or indifferent. I agree with those that recommended trying other tips first but it sounds like you've done that already.

Jun 1, 2013 at 1:36 PM Post #219 of 294
Quote:

I was like you in having 800 hours of burn-in on my CKN70s and they were still painfully bright/sharp. Someone suggested the Philips 3590 tips reporting outstanding results. I don't know why but the Philips tips completely solved the problem for me. They produced a clean, detailed, smooth treble sound signature which was just what I was hoping for. It's either the geometry of the 3590 tips or that combined with the material they're molded from but in any case the difference was remarkable.

One other poster reported good results after I did so that's just a total of three people having good results but the low price of the 3590s makes the risk minimal. Hopefully others will post their impressions whether they be good, bad or indifferent. I agree with those that recommended trying other tips first but it sounds like you've done that already.

Count me in, that makes four.

Although I really liked them before they fit much better and sound even better than before with the 3590 tips.

I got the pink 3590's since they were the cheapest and my daughter just loves them so everybody's happy. 

Jun 1, 2013 at 1:47 PM Post #220 of 294
Count me in, that makes four.

Although I really liked them before they fit much better and sound even better than before with the 3590 tips.

I got the pink 3590's since they were the cheapest and my daughter just loves them so everybody's happy. 

So you bought her the earphones and rhenium stole the tips? Lol

On the same note, I'm planning to try the SHE3590 tips with my Zero Audio Carbo Tenore as well. See how they do there.

Jun 1, 2013 at 2:46 PM Post #221 of 294
Quote:
So you bought her the earphones and rhenium stole the tips? Lol

On the same note, I'm planning to try the SHE3590 tips with my Zero Audio Carbo Tenore as well. See how they do there.

I bought the tips and she stole the headphones that came with them
biggrin.gif

Jun 1, 2013 at 5:17 PM Post #222 of 294
Jun 1, 2013 at 5:34 PM Post #223 of 294
Just ordered the SHE3590.  For those who are using these tips, which size provided the best results?

Jun 24, 2013 at 6:28 AM Post #225 of 294
I think I'm going to try out the 70's.  In the past, I owned the CKM500's and they quickly became my favorite IEM's.  Something about the sound was just so fun and they felt full of life, but they just did not fit my ears at all.  Those large driver housings pressing on my ears caused pain after short stretches of time causing me to have to give them up.  Was appealed to see these new models are much smaller.  Lucky me too, I have a pair of Phillips 3590's collecting dust I can steal the tips from.  If they feel like those headphones in the ears, I'm golden because I didn't mind wearing those.

Oh, and by the way, those Phillips IEM's actually do sound quite amazing considering how cheap they are.  They have a huge amount of bass.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back