Audio-Technica's Take on the Microdriver: ATH-CKN50 and CKN70
Mar 15, 2013 at 4:12 PM Post #94 of 294
Anyone find the loops really not necessary? I think they would be fine without them. Actually for me they would be better without them. The right side pushes the phones back end frontwards and  the bore away from my canal's angle leading to occlusion quite easy. I mentioned before that these don't respond to tips like my other phones and this is part of the reason. Hopefully higher models will have removable loop supports. Maybe different sizes as well that you install like the CK6 had...

Find one that works for you or not use any at all. I would expect higher versions to include stuff like this. A better cable, more elaborate fit kit for loops and tips(bring back the ovals as well), a a nice case(not just a pouch) etc. befitting of a CKN90/100 series.

Mar 16, 2013 at 3:02 AM Post #95 of 294
I think after consideration I'll keep the 70's. They are nice and comfortable and they have a nice sound, but its not the most forgiving signature. I don't think they are straight winners like the FXD80's are, because the material quality is poor given the price, and I would like a bit more definition - the FXD80 sounds cleaner.

Mar 23, 2013 at 10:47 PM Post #96 of 294
Coming from the CKM50...they are still going strong. I love them. I love their sound and comfort. Perhaps I am just looking for better quality / more in all respects.

Debating the CKM500 / CKN50 / CKN70.

I mostly listen to female vocal trance.

Comments appreciated. Thanks.

Mar 24, 2013 at 9:44 AM Post #98 of 294
Bump for a few more replies?

Mar 24, 2013 at 11:34 AM Post #99 of 294
Quote:
Coming from the CKM50...they are still going strong. I love them. I love their sound and comfort. Perhaps I am just looking for better quality / more in all respects.

Debating the CKM500 / CKN50 / CKN70.

I mostly listen to female vocal trance.

Comments appreciated. Thanks.

The CKM500s are still fine IEMs even today, but the CKN70s are AT's latest offering and simply a complete upgrade over them.

Mar 25, 2013 at 2:13 AM Post #101 of 294
Coming back to say that these really remind me of another IEM in particular. Still can't remember the name in particular but the similarities are astounding.....

*snap* one of the Atomic Floyds. Got it. Going in the store tomorrow to try and compare the two later. 

But back to these. These are VERY impressive detail-wise. Micro-detail is not yet RE-400 level, but the HiFiMANs have a slight edge from the extra clarity and the overall un-obtrusiveness that the sig provides. They sit somewhere between lush, forward and gooey at times, but can become quite aggressive with the subbass and treble at the snap of a finger. Still not sure how I would categorize the signature. Treble, as mentioned, was much smoother than I'd expected from an AT IEM. Still energetic, make no mistake, and somewhere ~10k there's a slight bump. But not as offensive as previous offerings. I'm still stuck on the details though. These things just do detailing like crazy. Staging, imaging, positioning is average. 

Not much time to listen to them later on, as the RE-400s are temporary and therefore take priority. Also got a pair of Craters yesterday as well, so I need to spend some time with them later. I'll run a couple of tracks through them but not one for burn-in myself, just trying to please the masses. 

One complaint is that the cable is rather stiff, also I hate J-cords and didn't know what I had gotten myself into (much to my horror as I opened the box) :p But in the end I got used to them. The blue shells are still quite pretty. It's a shame I have to put them in my ears while I could've just stared at them all day. In other words they're quite pretty.

Mar 26, 2013 at 8:16 AM Post #102 of 294
I guess my biggest concern about the CKN70 is the J-cord design. I really dislike this.

The CKM500 design is also very close to the CKM50 and the latter is the most comfortable IEM I've owned. I worry that the new tub shape of the CKN70 may be less comfortable.

Mar 26, 2013 at 11:05 AM Post #103 of 294
Quote:
I guess my biggest concern about the CKN70 is the J-cord design. I really dislike this.

The CKM500 design is also very close to the CKM50 and the latter is the most comfortable IEM I've owned. I worry that the new tub shape of the CKN70 may be less comfortable.

Imo the cord is fine with the included clip. These are very comfortable, the most comfortable iem's I have owned.

Mar 31, 2013 at 6:22 AM Post #104 of 294
ATH-CKN70 for $68.2 and free shipping to anywhere.
blink.gif

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-audio-technica-PREMIUM-COMPACT-Inner-Ear-Headphone-ATH-CKN70-/181112541913?pt=US_Headphones&hash=item2a2b2612d9

Mar 31, 2013 at 5:16 PM Post #105 of 294
Can anyone comment on the ATH-CKN70 vs. V-Sonic GR02 BE?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back