Audio-Technica's Take on the Microdriver: ATH-CKN50 and CKN70
Apr 10, 2013 at 7:20 PM Post #121 of 294
About the CKN70.. Does it sounds good with today's pop/rock? Is there a better iem in the same price range for those genres? Thanks!

Apr 10, 2013 at 9:49 PM Post #122 of 294
Quote:
Yeah the tips are quite pricey but they are worth it. I remember Dsnuts saying you should look for wide bore tips to open up the sound and that reminded me of my TripleFi tips. These have a huge bore wider than the CKN70s nozzle and fit perfectly. And boy do they open up the sound. I just noticed that the bass has actually gotten stronger. These rumble like they never did before. I'm also really loving the tamed highs. They are still forward but slightly less to remove the peaks they once had.

just ordered them - thanks.  at least you get five pairs for the price!

Apr 20, 2013 at 11:29 AM Post #123 of 294
So I think I am about to push the buy button on a pair of ATH-CKN70s. Speak now or forever hold your peace!

Budget is < $100ish
Primary music genre is vocal trance (streaming from www.di.fm)

Any alternatives I should seriously consider, even as a AT loyalist?

Apr 21, 2013 at 10:06 PM Post #125 of 294
Quote:
So I think I am about to push the buy button on a pair of ATH-CKN70s. Speak now or forever hold your peace!

Budget is < $100ish

Consider the HiFiMan RE-400, JVC-FXD80, or around that price from tenso the XBA-30. I personally don't think the CKN70 is all that great and I like AT gear.

Apr 21, 2013 at 10:23 PM Post #126 of 294
a_recording, have you tried the cks1000?

Apr 21, 2013 at 11:00 PM Post #128 of 294
Quote:
a_recording, have you tried the cks1000?

Though I'm not as cool as a_recording....

Quote:

Budget is < $100ish

Not sure of your sound preferences, as helpful as stating genre preference would be at first. 

They are smoother than most AT entry levels to me. But still a bit over-sparkly. Massive detailing, can't state that enough. Just great and forward for the price. Ergonomics are a bit meh, considering how "normal" old ATs were in comparison.

As mentioned, the RE-400s would be the anti-thesis with it's smoothness throughout. Better timbre, better natural clarity. But since you like AT stuff not sure if that's your preferred sig or not.

Apr 21, 2013 at 11:02 PM Post #129 of 294
Hi a-recording, may I know why you feels that the CKN70 isn't that great as compared to the FXD80. Could you kindly share your opinions in regards to the differences between the 2.

I've actually placed an order for the CKN70 and holding out on the FRD80 as I would like to have an iem with a mic control while I'm at work. If they do sound different enough, I will want to pick up the FRD80. Anyway, I wonder if you have an idea if the mic control have an impact on SQ btw the FRD and FXD

Many thanks.

Apr 21, 2013 at 11:38 PM Post #130 of 294
Quote:
Hi a-recording, may I know why you feels that the CKN70 isn't that great as compared to the FXD80. Could you kindly share your opinions in regards to the differences between the 2.

I've actually placed an order for the CKN70 and holding out on the FRD80 as I would like to have an iem with a mic control while I'm at work. If they do sound different enough, I will want to pick up the FRD80. Anyway, I wonder if you have an idea if the mic control have an impact on SQ btw the FRD and FXD

Many thanks.

I just feel like the CKN70 has a treble note that sounds unnatural or tizzy for a lot of music, particularly at higher volumes. It sounds both sibilant and also strangely metallic. The mid-bass seems a bit overdone to me to the point of being murky / swampy at times, and it doesn't sound as clean as the FXD80. The cable is really the biggest letdown especially for the price. The FXD80 seems more natural and smoother to me at a lower price.

I doubt the mic control does much. 

Apr 22, 2013 at 1:15 AM Post #131 of 294
Thanks a-recording for your thoughts, appreciate it.

If that's the case, I might just also grab the FRD to add some flavor to my list of iems and headphones.

Thanks again.

Apr 24, 2013 at 2:17 AM Post #132 of 294
Quote:
About the CKN70.. Does it sounds good with today's pop/rock? Is there a better iem in the same price range for those genres? Thanks!

that'd depend on how do you like your rock/pop music. but if you liked the CKM500 you may like the CKN70 even more

Apr 27, 2013 at 2:01 PM Post #134 of 294
I'm gonna get these as an upgrade to my Yamaha EPH100 at some point. 

Just need to find a spare £50 quid lol 
size]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back