Audio-Technica's Take on the Microdriver: ATH-CKN50 and CKN70
Nov 19, 2012 at 11:15 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 294

kjk1281

1000+ Head-Fier
On November 19, Audio-Technica announced the first product in their new PREMIUM COMPACT line, the ATH-CKN50. What's notable about the CKN50 is that it is the first Audio-Technica product to utilize a 5.7mm driver, the smallest the company has ever produced. It also utilizes the a new circular version of the loop support system, dubbed "Next Loop-support Structure" or N.L.S. for short. This, combined with the small size of the housing, is said to improve fit. Curiously, the 1.2 meter cable is an asymmetric design, a rarity for Audio-Technica.

9593eb74_img_14980.jpeg

The CKN50 in black

9df72a08_img_14985.jpeg

A picture of the blue CKN50 worn in the ear

The CKN50, which comes in four colors (black, white, blue, and brown), will be available in Japan on December 14 for ¥4725 (~$53 US), and as always, expect actual street prices to be a bit lower.

オーテク、正円リングで装着感を向上したカナル型イヤフォン -AV Watch

ATH-CKN50 | ヘッドホン | 一般製品 | オーディオテクニカ

Jan 17, 2013 at 11:55 PM Post #2 of 294
On January 18, Audio-Technica announced a new model in their PREMIUM COMPACT line. The ATH-CKN70, like the CKN50, uses a 5.7mm dynamic driver, is equipped with the latest version of the loop support system, and has a 1.2 meter long asymmetric cable.

ceb7eee5_CKN70BK.jpeg

The CKN70, shown here in black, is also available in blue or silver.

The biggest differences are the housing, which is now made of cut aluminum for clearer mids and highs, and the diaphragm of the microdriver, which now utilizes carbon nanotubes for a powerful yet articulate sound.

303cffbf_CKN70indetail.gif

Diagram illustrating the components of the CKN70

The new CKN70 comes in black, blue, and silver. It will be released in Japan on February 15 for ¥8925 (~$99 US), though street prices should be lower.

オーテク、小型アルミ切削筐体のカナル型イヤフォン -AV Watch

ATH-CKN70 | ヘッドホン | 一般製品 | オーディオテクニカ

Jan 18, 2013 at 12:55 AM Post #3 of 294
Really looking forward to it!!

Jan 18, 2013 at 12:45 PM Post #4 of 294
The blue is quite nice. If you look close the cable is blue as well...

It looks like a more angled strain coming out of the housing and a slightly longer housing as well(most likely trying for more depth to the sound with a larger cavity in the housing).

These are the first of all these new phones I'll try. Not really convinced enough by the CKM's, FXD's, etc. to try them.

Jan 19, 2013 at 9:50 AM Post #6 of 294
That blue CKN70 really is stunning. I would have never noticed the blue cable if you hadn't pointed it out.

I'm really glad I decided to wait on the CKN50 as I had a hunch that more models were on the way. I there weren't, why would Audio-Technica announce a line of headphones with just one product?

Jan 19, 2013 at 3:50 PM Post #8 of 294
I dont feel too bad, if people will be selling them for this much , of course though this is a pre-order http://www.ebay.com/itm/audio-technica-PREMIUM-COMPACT-Earbuds-ATH-CKN70-BK-Black-/121053819861?pt=US_Headphones&hash=item1c2f5eb3d5

Jan 19, 2013 at 4:00 PM Post #9 of 294
Typical gougers fishing for those that don't know any better or have impulse control problems or enough money that they just don't care
smile.gif
. The FXD80 was $180 as well, IIRC.

That won't last long though even the CKN50 can be bought for $50 on ebay and it isn't very old at all.

Jan 19, 2013 at 4:18 PM Post #10 of 294
I'm really interested in those ATH-CKN70s!

I currently own the CKM-99 and I love them. The problem is my right earphone isn't in one piece anymore as the glue holding it together seems to not be doing its job anymore. I've used some scotch tape but it's no good. And now, I'm not sure how to fix it. Any tips?

And are there any reviews out there for the CKN50s?

Jan 20, 2013 at 1:04 PM Post #12 of 294
I've got a set of CKN50's on the way; as is my luck, I only found out about the CKN70's after placing my order for the 50's. Oh well, once the 70's are available for decent prices I'll pick up a set of those too. I love my CKM500's; I'm hoping that the 50's/70's offer a bit more detail and isolation. In the very least they look like they'll be more comfortable because of the smaller housings.

Jan 30, 2013 at 1:24 AM Post #13 of 294
My CKN50 came in today. Got them in the barn burning in (in the barn so I won't be tempted to pick them up for a few hours).

I got the white ones, they look cool. I hate the asymmetrical cable though.

I see the filter has 2 small holes, could probably kramer mod them, or pop another hole in there to bring mid/highs up? No complaints here, but I know everyone expects the ckn70 might sound better in that department. 

Feb 1, 2013 at 5:50 PM Post #15 of 294
Quote:
My CKN50 came in today. Got them in the barn burning in (in the barn so I won't be tempted to pick them up for a few hours).

I got the white ones, they look cool. I hate the asymmetrical cable though.

I see the filter has 2 small holes, could probably kramer mod them, or pop another hole in there to bring mid/highs up? No complaints here, but I know everyone expects the ckn70 might sound better in that department. 

303cffbf_CKN70indetail.gif

Yep, you can see the CKN70 has the third hole in the filter. Could be some easy modding possibilities if the filters pop out like some other AT models.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back