Audio Technica updates their open headphones "AD" Series: AD2000x, AD1000x, AD900x, AD700x and AD500x
Nov 15, 2013 at 5:37 AM Post #1,546 of 2,205
I'm very happy with my AD1000x, if you want something a touch more laid back than the ad2000x then that would be probably be the best option, this comparison says there isn't a huge difference and the signature is similar. Saying that I'm really curious about the ad2000x given how much I like the ad1000x.

Post #1406 from this thread from lalala6

AD1000X vs AD2000X

Bass: Both AD1000X and AD2000X had similar bass quantity. Both has more sub bass presence, and both punches harder than AD900X. Couldn’t tell any difference really.

Treble: Likewise, both had very similar treble. Present, but not sharp or fatiguing like the AD900X. Can’t comment further as I’m not very sensitive to the highs.

Mids: AD2000X has slightly more forward mids than AD1000X. Female vocals are a touch sweeter on the AD2000X. Maybe it’s the upper mids. AD2000X are more detailed on the mids too, I could hear nuances in the vocals more than I could on the AD1000X. Both has fantastic mids though, better than AD900X.

Soundstage: Both are similar in size. Whereas AD900X has the largest soundstage, AD1000X & AD2000X have a more closed-in and intimate soundstage. Still pretty large though, definitely larger than the average closed can. Imaging or instrument placement is very precise and pinpoint on both, unlike the AD900X.

The biggest difference I could tell between the AD1000X and AD2000X is that AD2000X is more engaging and in-your-face, while AD1000X is very slightly more laid-back. The AD1000X is still very forward sounding on its own though. Overall the AD2000X has more clarity, more detail, and more refinement than AD1000X but both has almost the exact same sound signature. In other words, AD2000X is just a more refined AD1000X.

Is it worth the price jump from AD1000X to AD2000X? After having spent almost 2 months with my AD2000X, IMO I think not. If I haven’t purchased the AD2000X and were given a choice between the two, I would have been completely fine with the AD1000X.

Nov 15, 2013 at 5:57 AM Post #1,547 of 2,205
  I'm very happy with my AD1000x, if you want something a touch more laid back than the ad2000x then that would be probably be the best option, this comparison says there isn't a huge difference and the signature is similar. Saying that I'm really curious about the ad2000x given how much I like the ad1000x.

Post #1406 from this thread from lalala6

AD1000X vs AD2000X

Bass: Both AD1000X and AD2000X had similar bass quantity. Both has more sub bass presence, and both punches harder than AD900X. Couldn’t tell any difference really.

Treble: Likewise, both had very similar treble. Present, but not sharp or fatiguing like the AD900X. Can’t comment further as I’m not very sensitive to the highs.

Mids: AD2000X has slightly more forward mids than AD1000X. Female vocals are a touch sweeter on the AD2000X. Maybe it’s the upper mids. AD2000X are more detailed on the mids too, I could hear nuances in the vocals more than I could on the AD1000X. Both has fantastic mids though, better than AD900X.

Soundstage: Both are similar in size. Whereas AD900X has the largest soundstage, AD1000X & AD2000X have a more closed-in and intimate soundstage. Still pretty large though, definitely larger than the average closed can. Imaging or instrument placement is very precise and pinpoint on both, unlike the AD900X.

The biggest difference I could tell between the AD1000X and AD2000X is that AD2000X is more engaging and in-your-face, while AD1000X is very slightly more laid-back. The AD1000X is still very forward sounding on its own though. Overall the AD2000X has more clarity, more detail, and more refinement than AD1000X but both has almost the exact same sound signature. In other words, AD2000X is just a more refined AD1000X.

Is it worth the price jump from AD1000X to AD2000X? After having spent almost 2 months with my AD2000X, IMO I think not. If I haven’t purchased the AD2000X and were given a choice between the two, I would have been completely fine with the AD1000X.

Wow thanks very much for this! :)

Nov 15, 2013 at 6:48 AM Post #1,548 of 2,205
  Can't say much here, but just make sure you try the T90 first before pull the trigger, because they're simply very very different headphone. The only similiarity about them is they're not basshead headphone, but that's about it 
wink.gif

How do you compare T90 to the AD2000x? :)

Nov 15, 2013 at 10:19 AM Post #1,549 of 2,205
Yup i have read the previous post and no luck with ad1000x and ad2000x comparison but still hoping that someone will be able to do so.... BTW I have read from the previous post stating that ad2kx is a bit picky about amp so I am wondering if it will be a bad pair to my Alo Audio Pan Am. Anyone knows if it will be a good or bad pair? Thanks in advance :)

I use the AD2KX with the Pan Am (Cifte and Russian "Rockets" tubes) and am very happy with the combo.

I don't use the Pan Am DAC - I feed it with line out from either a DX100 or HM-801 and the results are very good.

Nov 15, 2013 at 12:27 PM Post #1,551 of 2,205

Yup i have read the previous post and no luck with ad1000x and ad2000x comparison but still hoping that someone will be able to do so.... BTW I have read from the previous post stating that ad2kx is a bit picky about amp so I am wondering if it will be a bad pair to my Alo Audio Pan Am. Anyone knows if it will be a good or bad pair? Thanks in advance
smily_headphones1.gif

I use the AD2KX with the Pan Am (Cifte and Russian "Rockets" tubes) and am very happy with the combo.

I don't use the Pan Am DAC - I feed it with line out from either a DX100 or HM-801 and the results are very good.

How about if pan am dac only? :) i currently dont have dac now and just rely on the pan am's dac so i am curious if it will be good enough.

Nov 15, 2013 at 1:26 PM Post #1,553 of 2,205
I want to thank Asr and razzz for their opinions and input on my question. I tried my headphones out of a number of different receivers, and yeah they sound fine; especially when compared to my old HD 598. Having it paired with my E17 is okay, but it was just something I picked up since I was short on money at the time. Since there really isn't a unanimous opinion on what amps sound great with the headphone (unlike many others) I'm thinking that the best thing to do is join the fray and experiment on my own. The M3 is definitely something I had my eyes on, but Project Ember looks nice and testing out different tubes is something that interests me. It also helps that it can drive headphones with high impeadance so I can experiment with the amp on another headphone I pick up in the future. The main problem is the fact that I don't get to listen to a lot of gear because I only have one other friend interested in "sound" like I am, but he can't afford equipment. I'll probably try looking into going to a meet up in the future.. I just think it's weird to be capable of offering a worthwhile opinion when I've had very limited listening experiences.

Project Ember it is~

Thanks a lot guys.

Nov 16, 2013 at 3:49 AM Post #1,554 of 2,205
BTW guys is ad2000x on what side, bright or dark or on a neutral with bit coloration? :) Thanks in advance :)

Nov 16, 2013 at 4:30 AM Post #1,555 of 2,205
BTW guys is ad2000x on what side, bright or dark or on a neutral with bit coloration? :) Thanks in advance :)

The AD2KX is actually none of those. Like the original AD2K, it has an overall C-curved mid-range, only not to the extent of the original and is more flattened out in that aspect, which makes it more musically versatile. That should theoretically make it better but for me personally that makes it less enjoyable for electronica & metal.

There aren't really any other headphones that I know of that sound like the AD2KX either, so I can't think of any comparisons. Like the original it has an extremely unique sound that isn't really close to anything that I've heard. Even the closest relative, which is the original, sounds different enough that I don't think of them as sonic relatives. Although it's probably fair to say that if you like Audio-Technicas in general, you won't hate the AD2KX.

Nov 16, 2013 at 4:43 AM Post #1,556 of 2,205

The AD2KX is actually none of those. Like the original AD2K, it has an overall C-curved mid-range, only not to the extent of the original and is more flattened out in that aspect, which makes it more musically versatile. That should theoretically make it better but for me personally that makes it less enjoyable for electronica & metal.

Thanks for the reply! btw if a person is sensitive to highs do you think ad2kx will be fatiguing? :) Or it will not be noticeable because of it being mid centric? I already asked many people about this but i just want more opinions :)

Nov 16, 2013 at 6:15 AM Post #1,557 of 2,205
Balancing between AD2000X and TH600, anyone that has tried both?
I love details on female vocals, and i also love EDM.
Stepping down from an HD800, i think i'd much rather prefer an open-sound to a closed one, but I hear the Fostex are fairly open-sounding for closed cans.

Nov 16, 2013 at 7:18 AM Post #1,558 of 2,205
Well seems like i am too excited and already ordered AD2kX.... Hopefully i made the right decision...

Nov 17, 2013 at 1:06 AM Post #1,559 of 2,205
  How do you compare T90 to the AD2000x? :)

T90:
The Beyer has better clarity and also has cleaner sounding with blacker background.Whistle will sounds very good here. The problem comes when you play mainstream songs, it will become sharp and lean sounding. Simply said, the T90 is brighter and leaner sounding than AD2KX, but have better technicality such as detail and separation. The whole presentation is airy with laidback mid, neutral tonality, and little impact (though still better than T70).

AD2000X:
The first thing that I notice is how musical this headphone, vocal is forward, very pleasing, no sibilance but a lot of air inside. The soundstage definitely very intimate compare to Beyer, everything come forward and close to ears, less spacious dare I say. So tu sum up, it's a forward, warm (compare to T90), very musical headphone that you will busy to enjoying songs rather than analyze them.

Nov 17, 2013 at 4:06 AM Post #1,560 of 2,205
Thanks for the reply! btw if a person is sensitive to highs do you think ad2kx will be fatiguing? :) Or it will not be noticeable because of it being mid centric? I already asked many people about this but i just want more opinions :)

Probably not, and maybe, respectively.

Balancing between AD2000X and TH600, anyone that has tried both? I love details on female vocals, and i also love EDM.
Stepping down from an HD800, i think i'd much rather prefer an open-sound to a closed one, but I hear the Fostex are fairly open-sounding for closed cans.

I've heard both, not sure either is the right choice for EDM since neither of them are very bassy overall, though the TH600 probably has more powerful bass. The TH600 is almost certainly more open-sounding than the AD2KX - sort of a paradox there since the AD2KX is open while the TH600 is closed, but the AD2KX isn't a very open-sounding headphone. The TH600 is closer to the HD800 (mostly because of its clarity and soundstage) but it's not really that close relatively either.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back