Audio Technica updates their open headphones "AD" Series: AD2000x, AD1000x, AD900x, AD700x and AD500x
Oct 21, 2013 at 3:29 PM Post #1,516 of 2,205
  A $100 amp whether USB or portable/battery or stand alone or in a sound card would be an improvement. Next step would be adding a DAC in the same variations USB, etc. Then there is the combined combination i.e. amp with DAC, again in USB, ... etc. Maybe price is a consideration or not but you have to narrow down what you want out of your headphones first along with what you are willing to spend. As long as you buy well known equipment, it will be money well spent.

Thanks! Just got my E17 here! So far loving it! Still need to figure out how to set it up!

Please do let us know your impressions, AD1000X owners are sparse. Congratulations! 

I'm not sure if I am ready for a review, I am not technical and there are many things that I don't know... I am an enthusiast but have no idea how to review cans :frowning2:

Oct 22, 2013 at 3:00 AM Post #1,517 of 2,205

Thanks! Just got my E17 here! So far loving it! Still need to figure out how to set it up!

I'm not sure if I am ready for a review, I am not technical and there are many things that I don't know... I am an enthusiast but have no idea how to review cans :frowning2:

U gonna tell us what the phones sound like or do we have to beat it outta ya?

Oct 22, 2013 at 6:06 AM Post #1,518 of 2,205

U gonna tell us what the phones sound like or do we have to beat it outta ya?

DISCLAIMER

I am not an audiophile I don't even know what's the meaning of a "warm, cold sound." I need to read a how to review a cans 101 for a proper review unless you wanna read a ****ty review by a newbie lol

Oct 22, 2013 at 10:23 AM Post #1,519 of 2,205
Sure you can write a review. Here:

What do you like about the sound? What are your most and least favorite parts of the sound you get out them?

How are they better or worse than other headphones you've heard? Are they worth the price?

You don't have to write a review about how the 12khz sound sparkly and shimmer while the lower midrange sounds full and lifelike and liquid. Just tell what you do and don't like, how they compare, what music they sound good or bad with, etc in your own descriptive terms. You'll catch on to the lingo eventually.

Oct 22, 2013 at 7:47 PM Post #1,520 of 2,205

DISCLAIMER

I am not an audiophile I don't even know what's the meaning of a "warm, cold sound." I need to read a how to review a cans 101 for a proper review unless you wanna read a ****ty review by a newbie lol

I will settle for a comparison to your other headphones versus your new AD1000x.. Sound  better or worse and why in your opinion? How's the fit?

Oct 30, 2013 at 9:50 AM Post #1,522 of 2,205
apologies if this has been discussed but has anyone tried using the pads from the A900X/A1000X/A2000X on the AD series? I was wondering if a tighter seal with the leather/pleather pads can increase the bass a bit on th AD phones.

After some good burn in (when I got the AD2K it had less than 100 hours on it) the bass has improved, especially in the sub bass. I can hear/feel a lot more rumble than before. but sometimes I am in the mood for even more bass that's why I'm cosidering the other pads. Also the highs can still be a bit much in some cases but I'm hoping with more hours they will mellow a bit.

Oct 31, 2013 at 5:51 AM Post #1,523 of 2,205
apologies if this has been discussed but has anyone tried using the pads from the A900X/A1000X/A2000X on the AD series? I was wondering if a tighter seal with the leather/pleather pads can increase the bass a bit on th AD phones.

After some good burn in (when I got the AD2K it had less than 100 hours on it) the bass has improved, especially in the sub bass. I can hear/feel a lot more rumble than before. but sometimes I am in the mood for even more bass that's why I'm cosidering the other pads. Also the highs can still be a bit much in some cases but I'm hoping with more hours they will mellow a bit.

If you can't get more bass sound using an equalizer (software) then you are going to need  either an amp or DAC or op-amps or all three to get the sound you want. Helps if the amps are changeable so you can fine tune the sound you want to hear. Those could be in the form of a computer sound card, USB unit, stand alone unit or portable unit.

Nov 3, 2013 at 7:41 AM Post #1,525 of 2,205
i found that air series are pretty cheap on cooljapannow.jp
AD900X goes for $170 shipped
AD1000X is $360
AD700X is $130
AD500X is $97
TAD500 is $70
TAD400 is $50
TAD300 is $30.

Nov 3, 2013 at 6:31 PM Post #1,526 of 2,205
Hey guys, I'm definitely interested in getting the ad2kx to replace my ad900's, but my Icon HDP's amp section isn't the correct impedance to drive either of them. I'm looking for an amp I can plug my HDP's dac/preamp section into that is a great match for the AD2KX's, either DIY or premade, under $600. I've been recommended G1217 Project Ember and Audio-GD amplifiers thus far, but the former has no reviews and I can't seem to figure which Audio-GD is sans-DAC that would be a great match. I'm open to any brands and suggestions as long as the specs are sound.

Any recommendations? Thanks in advance!

Nov 6, 2013 at 2:57 AM Post #1,527 of 2,205
  Hey guys, I'm definitely interested in getting the ad2kx to replace my ad900's, but my Icon HDP's amp section isn't the correct impedance to drive either of them. I'm looking for an amp I can plug my HDP's dac/preamp section into that is a great match for the AD2KX's, either DIY or premade, under $600. I've been recommended G1217 Project Ember and Audio-GD amplifiers thus far, but the former has no reviews and I can't seem to figure which Audio-GD is sans-DAC that would be a great match. I'm open to any brands and suggestions as long as the specs are sound.

Any recommendations? Thanks in advance!

Magni Headphone Amplifier by Schiit  Read the questions and comments for starters and make sure it specs out to what you want for your phones. I wouldn't spend to much on an amp but to each their own.
Bare bones item but well worth the price.
Taken directly from the Schiit website.
Frequency Response: 20Hz-20Khz, -0.1db, 2Hz-200KHz, -3dB
Maximum Power, 32 ohms: 1.2W
Maximum Power, 50 ohms: 1.0W
Maximum Power, 300 ohms: 260mW
Maximum Power, 600 ohms: 130mW
THD: Less than 0.005%, 20Hz-20KHz, at 1V RMS
IMD: Less than 0.007%, CCIF
SNR: Greater than 100db, unweighted, referenced to 1V RMS
Crosstalk: -70dB, 20 Hz-20KHz
Output Impedance: Less than 0.1 ohms
Gain: 5 (14db)
Topology: Fully discrete FET/bipolar, Class AB, DC coupled throughout
Protection: Standard failsafe DC power input and muting relay
Power Supply: "Wall wart" style 16VAC transformer, regulated +/- 15V rails
Power Consumption: 4W
Size: 5 x 3.5 x 1.25"
Weight: 1 lb

Nov 7, 2013 at 2:11 PM Post #1,528 of 2,205
So I got my headphones a few months back after reading the headphone buying guide and chose the one I felt fit me best. It came out to be the AD2000. I also read a bunch of other threads and reviews on the headphones. A lot of those reviews and opinions were on the AD-2000; the version I got was the AD2000x instead of the original. I spent some time reading this thread the other day to see how they compare with each other and I'm honestly not really bummed about it. I sort of had a kneejerk reaction (I considered selling my X to get the original) after reading a particular opinion, but after reading some more I think I want to stick with my AD2000X. When I bought my headphones I didn't have enough money to get a high end amp so I ended up getting the Fiio E17. I'm looking to pair my headphones with something that matches it properly. I haven't seen a lot of opinions on what's best for AD2000X yet, but I've read in the past that the M3 (what I'm considering) or a Dynalo fits well with the original. Would this be true for the 2000X series or not, since they've balanced the headphone a bit more now?

I've done a lot of reading, but I'm a complete newbie to the headphone game. I'm asking questions because I don't want to spend a lot of money on something and regret it. Thanks in advance to anyone that offers advice.

I'm sort of asking the same question as Xovaan lol.

This isn't my first headphone btw. I had HD598 before upgrading and I've become infatuated with sound so I'm just really curious as to what amp would make it even better.

Nov 9, 2013 at 2:53 AM Post #1,529 of 2,205
Magni Headphone Amplifier by Schiit  Read the questions and comments for starters and make sure it specs out to what you want for your phones. I wouldn't spend to much on an amp but to each their own. Bare bones item but well worth the price.

I previously owned the Magni and wouldn't recommend it for the Audio-Technica AD2K/X, well maybe unless it was also paired with the matching Modi DAC. The amp needs a low-voltage source (which the Modi is) in order for the AD2K/X to be usable on it, because the amp's gain is too high.

I wrote a review of the Magni here that has more info: http://www.head-fi.org/t/653870/review-schiit-magni

So I got my headphones a few months back after reading the headphone buying guide and chose the one I felt fit me best. It came out to be the AD2000. I also read a bunch of other threads and reviews on the headphones. A lot of those reviews and opinions were on the AD-2000; the version I got was the AD2000x instead of the original. I spent some time reading this thread the other day to see how they compare with each other and I'm honestly not really bummed about it. I sort of had a kneejerk reaction (I considered selling my X to get the original) after reading a particular opinion, but after reading some more I think I want to stick with my AD2000X. When I bought my headphones I didn't have enough money to get a high end amp so I ended up getting the Fiio E17. I'm looking to pair my headphones with something that matches it properly. I haven't seen a lot of opinions on what's best for AD2000X yet, but I've read in the past that the M3 (what I'm considering) or a Dynalo fits well with the original. Would this be true for the 2000X series or not, since they've balanced the headphone a bit more now?  
I've done a lot of reading, but I'm a complete newbie to the headphone game. I'm asking questions because I don't want to spend a lot of money on something and regret it. Thanks in advance to anyone that offers advice.

This isn't my first headphone btw. I had HD598 before upgrading and I've become infatuated with sound so I'm just really curious as to what amp would make it even better.

I've tested the AD2KX on the Gilmore Lite (i.e., a Dynalo) and wouldn't recommend the combo. The amp is better for the original AD2K. The M3 could be interesting for the AD2KX, not really sure how it would work out though. Most builds of the M3 feature rollable op-amps, which basically lets you alter the sound a little and can help achieve a good sonic pairing for the AD2KX. M3s show up in the FS forums every now and then - I'm sure most people pass them by because they're DIY and usually not aesthetically attractive, but M3s are very solid amps that can drive most dynamic headphones. It'll probably be some time until more people own the AD2KX and can comment on how it sounds on different amps. To that end I just initiated an AD2KX loaner program which will hopefully be helpful by the time it's over: http://www.head-fi.org/t/688438/loaner-program-audio-technica-ad2000x

There are quite a number of amps that have the specs on paper to properly drive the AD2KX, but it's unknown how most of them would sonically match. I've heard the following amps with the AD2KX, which I wouldn't recommend:
- Burson Conductor (and by extension the Soloist and Soloist SL -- I previously owned the Soloist too, doubt the sound was changed for the SL model)
- Micromega MyZic
- Schiit Asgard 2

I'd recommend waiting it out until more people own or have heard the AD2KX and can report on it. Buying any old amp would be like throwing darts in the dark when I can confirm that the AD2KX is just as sonically picky as the original.

Not that I'm "recommending" them per se but the Garage1217 kit/built amps look really interesting and one of them is probably going to be one of my next purchases. It's possible that one of them might be good for the AD2KX between the Starlight, Sunrise II, and Ember, especially since they all use tubes, which are inherently rollable and thus sonically variable.

Also check the Meets forum to see if an upcoming one is near you, meets are great opportunities to listen to a variety of gear: http://www.head-fi.org/f/24/local-regional-head-fi-meets-parties-get-togethers

Nov 9, 2013 at 3:08 AM Post #1,530 of 2,205
Originally Posted by Kurumster /img/forum/go_quote.gif

The E-17 has a DAC in it besides an amp (a combination) so it is not a true amp unless you can bypass the DAC and use the amp only (I forget if you can or not on that model).  Using a/the DAC circuit will add its own 'color' to the sound which you may or may not like or care about. An AMP alone will just cleanup the signal and add a little more punch to the original sound (amplify).

A better DAC or AMP or combo, may not please you like it pleases the ears of someone else. It may be a matter of tastes in sound like open or closed phone choices.

You need to take your phones and plug them into a stereo unit of a friend or in a store and see how they sound. Even the output of a Bluray player would be a good test and you really need a high quality recording off a CD or DVD when comparing. MP3 music is not going to improve how your phones really sound. The results should be immediate and you should know if the E-17 is producing what you what to hear or you may want to start shopping for better support for your phones. I'm sure the phones are fine, you just need a good signal running thru them.

Fortunately or unfortunately, the supporting hardware list will be almost endless to choose from but the resulting sounds will be worth it and a matter of personal choice (what you prefer: bass, symphony, movies, rock, jazz, voice, etc.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back