Audio Technica updates their open headphones "AD" Series: AD2000x, AD1000x, AD900x, AD700x and AD500x
Aug 31, 2013 at 10:25 PM Post #1,441 of 2,205
Quote:
One thing I wasn't expecting was for the soundstage to expand in all directions, especially becoming much taller. Now it feels like the music encompasses my entire head instead of just being spread out around me in a 2D plane like it does on the AD900X. I'm guessing this is due to the "newly designed diffuser" and "newly developed baffle with fin-shaped airflow path" which AT says controls air dispersion for a more spacious sound. When I read that on the box, I thought it was just marketing speak, but WOW, it's a huge difference.

The air diffuser should definitely have some kind of impact. It's the same principle as having curved blades in a fan to improve air flow or maybe spread the turbulence of the air movement over a wider range of frequencies. I have no idea just HOW much of an effect it would have though given that the diffuser is relatively thin in both models. 

Quote:
If you're having discomfort with the drivers touching your ears with the AD2k/x, I really recommend putting Denon pads on them. My pair has them and they're really comfy. The thicker back portion of the pads really helps to distance the drivers from your ears and also makes it easier to tell which cup is left or right :p

Doesn't the increased spacing decrease the bass response?

Aug 31, 2013 at 10:46 PM Post #1,442 of 2,205
Quote:

The air diffuser should definitely have some kind of impact. It's the same principle as having curved blades in a fan to improve air flow or maybe spread the turbulence of the air movement over a wider range of frequencies. I have no idea just HOW much of an effect it would have though given that the diffuser is relatively thin in both models. 

Did you find that the AD1KX has a much more 3D soundstage compared to the AD900X as well since it seems to have the same diffuser as the AD2KX? Really quite curious how big the difference is between the AD2KX and AD1KX...

Sep 1, 2013 at 12:11 AM Post #1,443 of 2,205
If it does, a_rec, it's a trade I happily make. Even with the Denon pads, my ears hurt at first, so with the thinner stock pads..? Besides, the 2ks are pretty responsive to eq, which is easy to manage with my desktop setup.

I've read that the presentation is a little colder and neutral with the Denon pads, especially if you're familiar with the stock sound, but in very pleased with how they sound.

Sep 1, 2013 at 6:17 AM Post #1,444 of 2,205
Quote:
Did you find that the AD1KX has a much more 3D soundstage compared to the AD900X as well since it seems to have the same diffuser as the AD2KX? Really quite curious how big the difference is between the AD2KX and AD1KX...

I am curious too... I think I will really have to take the plunge. *sigh*

Sep 2, 2013 at 3:53 AM Post #1,445 of 2,205
I did my own 'phat mod' with the ad1000x, had an old SRH440 ear pad so I just cut it in half and put half in each earpiece which is just enough to move the driver off my ear... far more comfy now :)

Sep 2, 2013 at 9:13 AM Post #1,446 of 2,205
Can anybody comment on how the AD900x sound next to the AKG K701/Q701/K702?

I'm thinking of getting one of the AKGs but don't want something that's going to sound very similar to each other.

Sep 6, 2013 at 11:05 PM Post #1,447 of 2,205
And now the AD200x is inbound! Very excited! lol

Sep 7, 2013 at 12:59 AM Post #1,448 of 2,205
For those who like well recorded music on the Audio-Technica headphone line and the female voice range try Album Title : Adieu False Heart -  Song Title : Adieu False Heart - 2006. As always, the highest quality from the CD or close to it, only does it justice.

Sep 8, 2013 at 8:04 AM Post #1,452 of 2,205
  anybody have the he-300v2? i wanna know how they are compared with the ad900x. i have a ad700 right now and looking to upgrade to either one.

Honestly, go for better.  Unless you're absolutely certain you know you will settle for either of the two.. 
biggrin.gif

Since you're coming from the AD700, you'll definitely appreciated the low end presence of either headphone.

If you like the AD700, chances are you may appreciate a colder, more analytical type sound.  DT880 to me is a good compromise, and with the right setup, I'm more than satisfied.

Sep 8, 2013 at 7:58 PM Post #1,453 of 2,205
I'm thinking about buying these. Looking for an open headphone for $200. Tried a couple already but none i liked enough to keep. I quite liked the sound of the a900x but thought the bass was just a bit too emphasized for my taste. How do the ad900x compare?

I'm worried the ad900x will be too harsh. The srh840 I found had a bit too much treble for my taste compared to the mids. Also found the bass of the hd598 to be lacking a bit.

Sep 8, 2013 at 8:27 PM Post #1,454 of 2,205
I'm thinking about buying these. Looking for an open headphone for $200. Tried a couple already but none i liked enough to keep. I quite liked the sound of the a900x but thought the bass was just a bit too emphasized for my taste. How do the ad900x compare?

I'm worried the ad900x will be too harsh. The srh840 I found had a bit too much treble for my taste compared to the mids. Also found the bass of the hd598 to be lacking a bit.

What source do you/plan to use?  The AD900x is in a sense the open version of the A900x.  There are a few differences, but I cannot give you an exact answer as I no longer have the AD900x to A/B.
The AD900x lacks bass resolution and detail imo.  Better than the A900x, but doesn't compare to the other options available.
Treble wise I did not find them to be harsh or overly emphasized.  
They are warmer than the AD700, but somewhat less than the A900x.

I'm not sure of another headphone that does the mids quite like Audio-Technica.  To me, the tone of the instruments is off.  So there is some treble coloring present

Sep 8, 2013 at 8:33 PM Post #1,455 of 2,205
What source do you/plan to use?  The AD900x is in a sense the open version of the A900x.  There are a few differences, but I cannot give you an exact answer as I no longer have the AD900x to A/B.
The AD900x lacks bass resolution and detail imo.  Better than the A900x, but doesn't compare to the other options available.
Treble wise I did not find them to be harsh or overly emphasized.  
They are warmer than the AD700, but somewhat less than the A900x.

I'm not sure of another headphone that does the mids quite like Audio-Technica.  To me, the tone of the instruments is off.  So there is some treble coloring present

I'm gonna use it with my fiio e17 out of my macbook. Are there any other options around $200 that you'd suggest? I know the ad1000x is probably better but they are out of my budget. How do the q701 compare?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back