Audio Technica updates their open headphones "AD" Series: AD2000x, AD1000x, AD900x, AD700x and AD500x
Aug 30, 2013 at 1:48 AM Post #1,426 of 2,205
I think at this point its AD2K/x for me.  The AD1000x is too expensive, I should have bought at 26,000 Yen...
If I had a headphone that had the mids of the AT line with DT880's instrument tone and response, I would never need to buy another headphone again..
I think the AD700 would have been great if the instruments had better low end resolution, if not better than the AD900x.  A little too much treble energy with most of my sources is what I should have wrote.  imo they don't bode well with the asian pop type signature, as they tend to be ssssssssssssssssssssssibilant.
Build quality was noticeably inferior, but not by too much.  Definitely better than the HM5, I'm surprised people still buy the FA-003 >.>

I wish I could audition the 2k/2kx as its a pretty steep investment.  Not sure I will like the "in your face" type presentation, as I find the DT880 to be a little cramped.

EDIT:  Forgot to mention I was not serious about the crazy bit 
wink.gif

I was reading through the 2k appreciation thread and really wished I'd been in this game at that time with the money I'm making now... 2k imported for 32,000 yen??? Ugh.

Yeah, I might not have noticed the sibilance during my time with the AD700 because most of my music wasn't very hot in that region (electro, trance, post/hardcore) and my asian pop days were behind me along with the crappy $20 Sony MDRs and random other cans. There was the one track I couldn't get through cause the vocals were recorded badly and the ssssssss was way too much.

Anyway, if only we could frankenstein headphone qualities together. I wonder what would happen if my AD2k could have D7000 or LCD2.2 bass while retaining its midrange and taking on AKG treble... Maybe it's time for me to start taking the look I've been wanting to take at Beyer and AKG? Or the world of Planars...

And aren't we all a bit crazy, anyway? 
wink.gif

Aug 30, 2013 at 2:00 AM Post #1,427 of 2,205
Quote:
Yeah, I just like the AT sound. I mean, I think my run with the open-back line has run its course since the comparisons between the 2k/x haven't really convinced me to try both, especially since I'm so in love with the 2k, but a 3000ANV sounds like it's a mighty nice headphone...

Hopefully I can attend a meet in the future where I can compare the 2k/x without having to purchase one.

Yeah I love female vocals and AT always does them right. It probably isn't worth having both versions as I believe others have said that they're pretty similar, with the AD2KX being a better all rounder but less aggressive. I'm sure your money will be better spent elsewhere. Oh man, getting started with the woodies? I'm scared to even start thinking about going down that road. The W5000 in the flagship comparison fared really poorly and the W3000ANV is far too expensive on my current budget. Plus at that price point, I could probably get the HD800 for cheaper so that buy is pretty hard to justify. The W1000X seems reasonable actually but I don't really need a closed pair of headphones for home use, already got the WS99 anyway. From an AT collector's point of view though, the W3000ANV is soooo tempting... maybe when I'm rich haha. 

So brief update on the AD2KX after another day of burn in. Bass has definitely increased in impact and quantity, now noticeably stronger than the AD900X's bass. Overall the sound has really opened up, soundstage seems larger and more airy, with detail and clarity improving further. One thing I wasn't expecting was for the soundstage to expand in all directions, especially becoming much taller. Now it feels like the music encompasses my entire head instead of just being spread out around me in a 2D plane like it does on the AD900X. I'm guessing this is due to the "newly designed diffuser" and "newly developed baffle with fin-shaped airflow path" which AT says controls air dispersion for a more spacious sound. When I read that on the box, I thought it was just marketing speak, but WOW, it's a huge difference. Highs feel like they're floating above you while lows are physically beating down below, with mids and vocals in between. Music becomes way more engaging, like you're being sucked into it. I thought I was impressed with them already on open box, but now I'm just mindblown! It's the feeling I had when listening to the AD900X for the first time after never hearing an open can before, seriously just jaw to the floor. 
size]

Aug 30, 2013 at 2:45 AM Post #1,428 of 2,205
All this crazy talk has motivated me to get the ad2kx... you guys really hate my wallet... anywhoo, anyone wanna buy my ad900x? LOL

Aug 30, 2013 at 8:31 AM Post #1,429 of 2,205
you'll need to bring them over.

Aug 30, 2013 at 8:46 AM Post #1,430 of 2,205
I'm finding the AD900x are complimenting my HD580/600 really well. HD580/600 has more clearer mids while sounding laid back, but the AD900x has a more bass and treble impact making for a more energetic listening experience overall. 

Aug 31, 2013 at 1:34 PM Post #1,431 of 2,205
Quote:
I've had the AD900x for a month or so, and just last night I received a pair of AD2k phones.  I've only had time for a short listen, but I can say that the difference was immediately apparent.  I preferred the AD2k by a good margin - bass, mids and treble all seemed more refined and detailed to my ears. The bass was more pronounced on the AD2k also. I like the AD900x, but the AD2k is more enjoyable to me, with more smoothness and detail.

I have a pair of AD2kx phones on order, so it will be interesting to see how these compare to the AD2k and AD900x.

I was looking back through the thread and just wanted to say that my experience is very similar to this. Interesting that you found the AD900x more preferable with a different setup, though. I myself only have my laptop -> Traktor Audio 2 -> FiiO E12, so I can't really experiment with different components. Might actually start shopping around now, though.

Quote:
Like akarise, I too just received my AD2000X from Japan.

I've only had a chance to listen for a few hours, so this is a very preliminary comparison.

First, I compared the AD2000X to the AD2000 on the Pan Am amp using Cifte tubes. Both headphones sounded wonderful on this setup - 9/10 for both.  The 2kx is a very different presentation from the 2k. Like akarise said, the 2kx gives a much more "in your face" presentation.  It has a closer-in soundstage and more overall edginess and contrast.  I perceived this as slightly elevated bass and treble levels, which pushed the mids back just a tad - still very good mids - but not as forward as the lows and highs. The 2k, on the other hand, gives a more even, wider and less "contrasty" rendition and soundstage.  It also has a touch less bass presence.

Compared to my 900x, both the 2kx and the 2k are much smoother and clearer across all frequencies with better detail and balance. The 2kx has a "family resemblance" to the 900x (punchier rendition; bass/treble forward) but the 2kx is more sophisticated.

Both the 2kx and 2k sound so good that I am keeping them both. One or the other would be better depending on the music. I may or may not keep the 900x, depending on whether or not I can find a good portable amp match-up (so far, not that great with both the ALO Rx-Mk3-B+ or the Meier Corda Stepdance at 15V).

Also, keep in mind that the 2kx has only had about 3 hours on it - and I heard it open up and get smoother during that brief time period.  It may keep improving - stay posted!

Which genres that you've listened to do you prefer with the 2k and 2kx?

Aug 31, 2013 at 2:03 PM Post #1,432 of 2,205
I was looking back through the thread and just wanted to say that my experience is very similar to this. Interesting that you found the AD900x more preferable with a different setup, though. I myself only have my laptop -> Traktor Audio 2 -> FiiO E12, so I can't really experiment with different components. Might actually start shopping around now, though.

Which genres that you've listened to do you prefer with the 2k and 2kx?

I listen almost exclusively to classical. I have to point out something interesting though. The other night I listened to some jazz/female vocal with the AD2000X and I did not detect any recessed mids, contrary to my previous posts (when listening to classical); quite to the contrary, the mids were very forward. The genre and even the particular recording (microphone placement, mix, etc.) can make a big difference in what we perceive from a headphone. And yes, the particular setup (DAC, Amp) can also make a big difference. I definitely end up using certain phones with specific setups where the synergy seems to work best.

The lesson here, for me, is that it is very helpful to specify the equipment used, and the style of music listened to, when posting impressions regarding headphones.

Aug 31, 2013 at 2:30 PM Post #1,434 of 2,205
Yeah, I completely agree that upstream components can play a big part in how we perceive headphones. Luckily for the AD series, they're not as picky as, say, Senns, but still. The small differences can count for a lot.

It's really interesting to me that you prefer the AD2k for Classical. From all of what I'd read leading up to my own 2k purchase, I was expecting it to sound weird with Classical because of its coloration, especially for strings, but I'm actually liking it for the Classical tracks I've put through it so far. Maybe more so for its spacial presentation than its color compared to the AD900x, though; I'll have to do more critical listening. I guess your case could be a matter of preference for color and/or source components when compared to the other impressions I'd read.

Gah, I might just end up getting a 2kx if this insufferable itch doesn't go away... 

Aug 31, 2013 at 2:58 PM Post #1,435 of 2,205
Quote:
I listen almost exclusively to classical. I have to point out something interesting though. The other night I listened to some jazz/female vocal with the AD2000X and I did not detect any recessed mids, contrary to my previous posts (when listening to classical); quite to the contrary, the mids were very forward. The genre and even the particular recording (microphone placement, mix, etc.) can make a big difference in what we perceive from a headphone. And yes, the particular setup (DAC, Amp) can also make a big difference. I definitely end up using certain phones with specific setups where the synergy seems to work best.

The lesson here, for me, is that it is very helpful to specify the equipment used, and the style of music listened to, when posting impressions regarding headphones.

Yeah I agree that in classical music the mids seem more pushed back but for mostly everything else, the mids (esp vocals) are definitely forward. Glad I wasn't crazy when I thought that lol.

Aug 31, 2013 at 3:23 PM Post #1,437 of 2,205
I was just tube testing some Tesla's in the Lyr/Bifrost-Uber with the HD800's when I read your posts. Took off the HD800 and put on the AD2000.

Yes, there is a slight warm coloration and the soundstage is a bit more intimate, but damn these 2k's sound terrific with classical. I actually prefer the music I'm listening to right now with the 2k over the HD800, due to the better lows (Albinoni Oboe concerto and Mahler Symphony #2).

Aug 31, 2013 at 3:30 PM Post #1,439 of 2,205
If you have average to smaller ears that don't stick out like mine, you shouldn't have problems with the driver touching your ears on the AD2KX. However, I should mention that there is definitely a much stronger clamp relative to the AD900X, which I thought was extremely comfortable to wear. Also, the opening for your ears in the pads actually feel a bit smaller than the ones on the AD900X, which might cause some discomfort, depending on your ear size. After stretching out the band, the clamp problem is slowly going away so it shouldn't be a dealbreaker.

Aug 31, 2013 at 3:45 PM Post #1,440 of 2,205
If you're having discomfort with the drivers touching your ears with the AD2k/x, I really recommend putting Denon pads on them. My pair has them and they're really comfy. The thicker back portion of the pads really helps to distance the drivers from your ears and also makes it easier to tell which cup is left or right :p

Also, the clamp on my 2k isn't bad at all. Much more snug than the 900x, such that I have absolutely no worry of them falling or slipping off when I move my head around, even quickly, but then again, my pair have gone through 2 previous owners. If the clamp doesn't go away with use, there's always stretching them gently until the pressure is relieved.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back