Audio Technica updates their open headphones "AD" Series: AD2000x, AD1000x, AD900x, AD700x and AD500x
Mar 19, 2013 at 2:28 AM Post #796 of 2,205
Quote:
I just keep coming back to my AD700 when I'm at home, which would be great if the lows weren't as recessed as they are, but I'm just a detail and soundstage whore apparently. Would any of these newer offerings fulfill the neutral, uber AD700 itch that I'm trying to scratch?

Still looking for some feedback on this. Thanks!

Mar 19, 2013 at 5:07 AM Post #797 of 2,205
Quote:

I did a comparison of them here:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/654161/review-comparison-ath-ad900x-vs-mdr-ma900-its-over-900

As for SR325is... I have a pair of AluMods. Their imaging doesn't blow me away either lol.

Thanks for that.. I did see that review. Your review is actually what inspired me to ask about the mdr-ma900 in the first place! Now I'm on the hunt for more opinions.

Also can anyone on comment on how these compare to the beyer dt 880 pro?

Mar 19, 2013 at 1:05 PM Post #798 of 2,205
Quote:
Hmm yea, I definitely will be burning these in overnight when i go to sleep.

they sounded really congested right out of the box, and I wasn't impressed.

but I do believe in the 'burn in" concept, although i think part of it is in combination with your ears getting used to the headphones.

they still sound good so far, just haven't impressed me. still a nice upgrade for me though.

I will update as i burn them in.

I just got mine, and I burned them in about 6 hrs last night as well.  Even today, I am hearing that congestion.  These are a lot darker than the AD900's.  The x's actually fit my largish head a little tighter than the AD900's.  But both are very comfortable.  I'll keep listening and post updates when I have them. 

Mar 19, 2013 at 2:51 PM Post #799 of 2,205
The AD900x don't really open up till about 30hrs or so, if I remember my burn in period correctly. YMMV

Mar 19, 2013 at 5:13 PM Post #800 of 2,205
OK, I'll make sure to give them plenty of time and see what happens.  I've made the mistake before of dismissing a headphone or two because I didn't realize that burn in could make a difference.

They aren't unlistenable, I just wish the top end would open up a little bit more.  They kind of remind me of Senn 650's at the moment.

Mar 19, 2013 at 7:16 PM Post #801 of 2,205
Quote:
OK, I'll make sure to give them plenty of time and see what happens.  I've made the mistake before of dismissing a headphone or two because I didn't realize that burn in could make a difference.

They aren't unlistenable, I just wish the top end would open up a little bit more.  They kind of remind me of Senn 650's at the moment.

Hmm that's interesting. I would never ever described them as 'veiled' like the HD650. It's just that they sound a bit messy when push comes to shove on fast music.

Mar 19, 2013 at 9:06 PM Post #802 of 2,205
These definitely open up after some good hard play time with something like infected mushroom or pendulum. Or any heavy electronic music you have in your library. Play them at levels on the verge of uncomfortable for at least 50 hours (IMO) to hear a change for the better in the high end and a smidge better bass extension maybe. DO NOT listen to them while they are turned up this loud, just saying it to say it... they also sound better as the pads get smushed a bit.

~M

Mar 19, 2013 at 10:22 PM Post #803 of 2,205
Quote:
These definitely open up after some good hard play time with something like infected mushroom or pendulum. Or any heavy electronic music you have in your library. Play them at levels on the verge of uncomfortable for at least 50 hours (IMO) to hear a change for the better in the high end and a smidge better bass extension maybe. DO NOT listen to them while they are turned up this loud, just saying it to say it... they also sound better as the pads get smushed a bit.

~M

Always on the hunt for cool music... is this track infected mushroom? I couldn't find it listed in any of their official website albums. Regardless, I'm digging that track and using  it right now for some good ear/brain burn in
biggrin.gif

Edit: actually, I can see which album it is supposed to be from (but it's not listed as one of the tracks). Man, that track keeps getting better and better...

Edit2: Fyi, listening with laptop/ELE DAC/E12/AD900X (with plenty of burn in).... Awesome.

Mar 19, 2013 at 11:21 PM Post #804 of 2,205
Yup that is IM, the song  you linked is "project 100". Their new album army of mushrooms is pretty good. My favorite all time song from IM is "Dancing with Kadafi" off of their BP empire album, listen to that one for sure. I'm always surprised when I mention infected mushroom and hardly anyone has heard of them. Also check out LORN, good stuff from them too! 

~M

Mar 20, 2013 at 12:05 AM Post #805 of 2,205
I love me some Infected Mushroom :3 sounds great on the 900x. Check out Noisia's Devil May Cry soundtrack for some can rattling bass, btw omg

Wayne, how much does the ELE improve your sound compared to without? I have a Traktor 2 external soundcard with a Cirrus Logic chip that does a good job, but I'm curious if I should pull the trigger on an "actual" DAC. Or rather, a product that is marketed as a DAC, if that makes any difference.

Mar 20, 2013 at 12:18 AM Post #806 of 2,205
Quote:
I love me some Infected Mushroom :3 sounds great on the 900x. Check out Noisia's Devil May Cry soundtrack for some can rattling bass, btw omg

Wayne, how much does the ELE improve your sound compared to without? I have a Traktor 2 external soundcard with a Cirrus Logic chip that does a good job, but I'm curious if I should pull the trigger on an "actual" DAC. Or rather, a product that is marketed as a DAC, if that makes any difference.

Will check out the Noisia sound track - thanks!

As far as the ELE DAC is concerned, I don't have any experience with other dac's. But, it was only $20 and it sounds 1000% better than my laptop soundcard, and is on par (or better) than my Samsung Galaxy Tab2 Wolfson audio chip. And most importantly, I don't feel any desire to upgrade it. So really, along with my ksc75's, the ELE DAC is in right on top of my "giant killer" audio acquisitions. As far as I am concerned, the ELE DAC + E12 + AD900X combo is friggin' wonderful. And I suspect it will be as wonderful with the WS99's (which are on their way :).

Mar 20, 2013 at 2:54 AM Post #808 of 2,205

Will check out the Noisia sound track - thanks!

As far as the ELE DAC is concerned, I don't have any experience with other dac's. But, it was only $20 and it sounds 1000% better than my laptop soundcard, and is on par (or better) than my Samsung Galaxy Tab2 Wolfson audio chip. And most importantly, I don't feel any desire to upgrade it. So really, along with my ksc75's, the ELE DAC is in right on top of my "giant killer" audio acquisitions. As far as I am concerned, the ELE DAC + E12 + AD900X combo is friggin' wonderful. And I suspect it will be as wonderful with the WS99's (which are on their way :).

Well, for $20, I might as well bite! BTW, let me know how those WS99s go, I've been eyeing those myself ;] Time for YOU to convince ME to make some purchases! :p

Mar 20, 2013 at 12:43 PM Post #809 of 2,205
Quote:
Well, for $20, I might as well bite! BTW, let me know how those WS99s go, I've been eyeing those myself ;] Time for YOU to convince ME to make some purchases!
tongue.gif

You won't need me to convince you about the WS99 if you read posts like these ones:

- this one and this one from dsnuts (who also has the ad900x)

- this one and this one from DannyBai (who also has the ad900x)

- this one and this one from Maxx134

If those impressions don't convince you, then you are a stronger man than I am!

Mar 20, 2013 at 2:52 PM Post #810 of 2,205
burned these in a bit more (basically 15 more hours, sleep/when i went to work), i do feel the bass is improving and the soundstage appears wider (again could just be my ears).

Like I mentioned, these were enough of an upgrade, but I did EQ them a bit for Bass (+2 db) on the E17.

I'll give it some more time, I remember I hated my akg 167s for the first week.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back