Audio Technica updates their open headphones "AD" Series: AD2000x, AD1000x, AD900x, AD700x and AD500x
Mar 16, 2013 at 12:36 AM Post #766 of 2,205
Quote:
I had to pay $33.26 CDN to Canada Post (taxes etc) plus Tenso fees of about $30.00  ... on 14,137 yen (161.08 Cdn)  for the ATH-AD900x.  Bought from Amazon.co.jp.  So we are talking about $224.00 total.

Wow. That's quite a bit...

Quote:
http://supertalk.superfuture.com/index.php?/topic/81183-newjapan-proxy-service-buying-service-from-japan-with-low-fee/

fyi: just try this,for proxy service from japan its cheap and trusted. note: this is not promotional and im not affiliated with that service, 

does ad900x pair well with fiio e12? anyone have tried it?

Anyone else want to try this? Do they handle the purchase too? Because I have about $150 just laying around on my paypal account, and I'd rather like it if I could use that up

Mar 16, 2013 at 12:40 AM Post #767 of 2,205
Quote:
Quote:
I had to pay $33.26 CDN to Canada Post (taxes etc) plus Tenso fees of about $30.00  ... on 14,137 yen (161.08 Cdn)  for the ATH-AD900x.  Bought from Amazon.co.jp.  So we are talking about $224.00 total.

I didn't have to pay that. Was that customs/taxes? Wonder why you got smacked and I didn't?

Now that's a very good question !!! I have never been charged customs and taxes before so I thought it was because it was sent by Tenso ... was yours sent as a gift? I still have the papers so ill check it out ... but can u imagine the bureaucracy I'll have to wade through for the $30.00 ... if I was charged in error!

Mar 16, 2013 at 12:50 AM Post #768 of 2,205
So after listening for about 7 hours total with my new AD900x and Sound Blaster Z card it is quite a step up from the HD555s and on-board audio. The only issue is that I can't wear these for more than 30 minutes without getting a headache. While the bottom part of my ear feels "alright" it just makes the top part of my ear hurt. I found myself putting on my HD555s and wearing those most of the day.

In terms of sound, the HD555 loses easily. But for precision it loses really badly. I tested the AD900x with (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G5X9oUNSYyE) and the HD555 gave much more precision and dept. I could tell exactly where he was and when he transitioned to one side of the room to the other. On the other hand the AD900x feels like there is no "room" at all.
Is this something that is going fix overtime with burn in?

But back to comfort. Like I said, I just can't get over the fact that the ears touch the rims of the pads. My ears fit perfectly inside the HD555s. Not once has my HD555s ever given me a headache from use except for once when I wore them for 9 hours. I've only had these headphones for not even a day and I am seriously considering selling these just cause they aren't comfortable for me.

Mar 16, 2013 at 12:51 AM Post #769 of 2,205
Quote:
Now that's a very good question !!! I have never been charged customs and taxes before so I thought it was because it was sent by Tenso ... was yours sent as a gift? I still have the papers so ill check it out ... but can u imagine the bureaucracy I'll have to wade through for the $30.00 ... if I was charged in error!

I don't think so. Amazon.jp to tenso, on the tenso website I left the value as the actual value, and then tenso to me. It may have just been the luck of the draw though as far as customs was concerned. I hope I don't get dinged with my W99's.

Mar 16, 2013 at 1:59 AM Post #770 of 2,205
Quote:
So after listening for about 7 hours total with my new AD900x and Sound Blaster Z card it is quite a step up from the HD555s and on-board audio. The only issue is that I can't wear these for more than 30 minutes without getting a headache. While the bottom part of my ear feels "alright" it just makes the top part of my ear hurt. I found myself putting on my HD555s and wearing those most of the day.

In terms of sound, the HD555 loses easily. But for precision it loses really badly. I tested the AD900x with (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G5X9oUNSYyE) and the HD555 gave much more precision and dept. I could tell exactly where he was and when he transitioned to one side of the room to the other. On the other hand the AD900x feels like there is no "room" at all.

But back to comfort. Like I said, I just can't get over the fact that the ears touch the rims of the pads. My ears fit perfectly inside the HD555s. Not once has my HD555s ever given me a headache from use except for once when I wore them for 9 hours. I've only had these headphones for not even a day and I am seriously considering selling these just cause they aren't comfortable for me.

I have the AD700 and A900X. Using the Youtube link, the AD700 has more clarity and staging. No question where the sounds are coming from. The A900X is darker and the staging does not extend out much passed the earcups.

The guy in the chair while strumming,  sounds as if he is sitting away in the left hand corner of my living room sliding the chair around with the AD700.

Need more opinions with AD900X.

Mar 16, 2013 at 3:00 AM Post #772 of 2,205
Quote:

Your experience kind of echoes mine. The imaging of the AD900X is kind of poor though the sound balance is nice. 

Mar 16, 2013 at 7:21 AM Post #775 of 2,205
Quote:
Yeah, maybe I should of listened to your words of advice. Once I sell this thing I will probably end up getting the MA900s. The pads don't touch the ear right?

I really hesitate to say since my ears don't touch the pads on most headphones...

Mar 16, 2013 at 7:08 PM Post #778 of 2,205
As promised, some observations of the AD2000x vs the older AD2000.
I should state that I use to use the AD2000 on entry level equipment, and now I have a much better audio chain all around. It's possible my memory of the AD2000 compared to the current AD2000x was colored by using a completely different audio chain. I was really surprised when I ran my comparisons.

I burned in the AD2000X for about 48 hours, and the AD2000, as it had been unused for at least a year, for 24 hours.
Source equipment used is the Burson Audio Soloist headphone amp with an Eastern Electric Minimax Tube Dac (32-bit dac) and a Musical Fidelity V-Link USB connection to a Windows 7 pc playing various files in either FLAC or 320 bit-rate mp3.

First off the mids, the famous mids of the AD2000's are still there but not as impact. They seem to be slightly more recessed on the AD2000x. The mids seem to be tuned slightly darker, but at the same time the general sound of the headphone is slightly brighter,
The AD2000 actually sounds better if mids are your main concern.

The bass and bottom end seems to be just as impactful on the AD2000x as the original, but the bass is just slightly less in volume. You can hear the full bass spectrum, including a nice sub-bass, it's just not their in quantity, it's there in impact with a relatively fast decay.

Sound-stage is wide, the 2000x seems to have a bigger sound-stage, yes, even bigger, than the AD2000, with excellent musical separation.

The sound of the AD2000x in general seems to be more neutral than the AD2000, yes I was completely wrong in my past statements about the AD2000x having more bass.
Speed seemed to be the same in both headphones with perhaps the AD2000x having a slight advantage because of its better separation.

In general the AD2000x seems to be a better headphone, slightly better detail, better sound-stage, better neutrality. But it's also a slightly less exciting headphone, mids aren't as rich and upfront, bass hits a bit less in impact.

In summary, the AD2000x is improvement in many ways, however if you love your AD2000, then there is no reason to upgrade, you may get less of what you love about them to begin with, but still a better overall headphone in the AD2000x.

Hope that helps.

And yes, one more thing, the AD2000x doesn't sit as tightly on your head as the AD2000. That may be a good thing, or a bad thing, depending on how big a head you have.
beerchug.gif

Mar 16, 2013 at 7:09 PM Post #779 of 2,205
My AD2KX is back up for sale again if anyone is interested.  It's still a great headphone but just can't compete for my head time with my HD800.  However, for the money, the AD2KX is pretty awesome.  I would highly recommend it in the <$700 bracket. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back