Audio Technica updates their open headphones "AD" Series: AD2000x, AD1000x, AD900x, AD700x and AD500x
Mar 7, 2013 at 11:11 PM Post #691 of 2,205
Yeah, I don't find it particularly warm, either, but I guess I could maybe see how a closed can might sound "too warm" with the E12. I really don't know, though, so please, no one take my word here for fact -- maybe the E12 makes closed cans sing!

Well, it makes my closed jvc ha-s500's sound friggin' amazing. So yeah, it can happen :)

Mar 7, 2013 at 11:35 PM Post #692 of 2,205
mmplayer167: Did you try putting the earpads from the AD900x on the AD2000. I'm pretty sure the reason the AD900x has more bass is because of the thicker earpads. You can also take a look at this. You'll get a kick out of it. 

Mar 8, 2013 at 5:50 AM Post #694 of 2,205
Quote:
What  I meant was  I bought the A900x and Vsonic GR07 2. How do you post under your questions so it's easier to follow. I just use reply.

Using the 'quote' button for answering puts the original comment inside your reply box.

I have only been reading and following the AD900X comments as few or none badmouth it. I do own the AD700 and can attest to its wonderful sound stage and comfort to wear for hours. Comments say AD900X is a big leap up from the AD700, makes me want to try it. Amazon varies sometime as low as $235.

I did get A900X since I found it for cheap and enjoy it a lot even while it is still breaking in. It will always be a bit snug to seal around the ears for that 'closed' sound.

I don't think you need a signal boost via an amp (at least not right away for the A900x) but the nicer/more money amps have bells and whistles like EQ adjustment and maybe swappable opamps.

I'd first try making sure your music is in FLAC or equivalent (the compression method). Or try listening directly off a retail music CD or movie DVD and see how the sound was originally recorded. That alone makes a world of difference sometimes. If I find something I like but it is only available in some lowly MP3 mode, I will breakdown and buy the CD or DVD and convert it to FLAC to make it portable and/or a smaller file.

You really don't want the top of the line headphones unless you are a professional because you are going to start hearing all the flaws in the recordings, IMHO.

Mar 8, 2013 at 11:20 AM Post #695 of 2,205
Quote:
Using the 'quote' button for answering puts the original comment inside your reply box.

I have only been reading and following the AD900X comments as few or none badmouth it. I do own the AD700 and can attest to its wonderful sound stage and comfort to wear for hours. Comments say AD900X is a big leap up from the AD700, makes me want to try it. Amazon varies sometime as low as $235.

I did get A900X since I found it for cheap and enjoy it a lot even while it is still breaking in. It will always be a bit snug to seal around the ears for that 'closed' sound.

I don't think you need a signal boost via an amp (at least not right away for the A900x) but the nicer/more money amps have bells and whistles like EQ adjustment and maybe swappable opamps.

I'd first try making sure your music is in FLAC or equivalent (the compression method). Or try listening directly off a retail music CD or movie DVD and see how the sound was originally recorded. That alone makes a world of difference sometimes. If I find something I like but it is only available in some lowly MP3 mode, I will breakdown and buy the CD or DVD and convert it to FLAC to make it portable and/or a smaller file.

You really don't want the top of the line headphones unless you are a professional because you are going to start hearing all the flaws in the recordings, IMHO.

Ok I will try a CD to see the sound difference. Not sure how to check the FLAC. Pandora sounds great I just want to make sure I'm optimized for the best sound. I put some leather conditioner on the pads to make them softer. So far a little better. I guess when I went to Best Buy and tried some phones out the Oval ear cups are nice because it goes around the ear without sitting on top which is nice. I hope  these pads get a little more comfortable for long time use. Do you know why the cord is so long?

Mar 8, 2013 at 11:54 AM Post #696 of 2,205
Quote:
mmplayer167: Did you try putting the earpads from the AD900x on the AD2000. I'm pretty sure the reason the AD900x has more bass is because of the thicker earpads. You can also take a look at this. You'll get a kick out of it. 

Nope, didn't try that, I will tonight. I ran across your transplant when you first posted it, nice work! 

Mar 8, 2013 at 3:03 PM Post #697 of 2,205
Quote:
Are there any reliable US retailers that sell these for a reasonable price? Amazon has them for $260, is that reasonable?

are u talking about the 900x?

it seems like the best method is importing them and using tenso for price (for North americans) since they're near $150 usd in japan, then 30-40 for importing.

Mar 8, 2013 at 3:53 PM Post #698 of 2,205
Maybe I am more old school listening off a desktop computer but my sound card drives everything nicely, my headphones or speaker system. I don't game but the sound card would do the same for games.

Reading up on Pandora, it is like most other music services and will be of high quality. Still, I would check the sound off a CD  or DVD newer movie just for comparison.

I like long cords, gives me a bit more freedom to move around.

You should be able to call up the properties on a music file. On  a computer you can right click for 'Properties' for the very basic information or a player, like Foobar 2000,  will give you the info. Win7 has 'MediaInfo' on right click that will tell you everything you wanted to know about music and video files and more.

Mar 8, 2013 at 9:50 PM Post #700 of 2,205
Quote:
Maybe I am more old school listening off a desktop computer but my sound card drives everything nicely, my headphones or speaker system. I don't game but the sound card would do the same for games.

Reading up on Pandora, it is like most other music services and will be of high quality. Still, I would check the sound off a CD  or DVD newer movie just for comparison.

You should be able to call up the properties on a music file. On  a computer you can right click for 'Properties' for the very basic information or a player, like Foobar 2000,  will give you the info. Win7 has 'MediaInfo' on right click that will tell you everything you wanted to know about music and video files and more.

I guess the cord is good for the house, you can reach around comfortable but if your up and about you have to coiled it up. I have Pandora maximize it just sounds great. Okay now which IEM or portable can give you this type of sound so you don't have to leave it behind when your out and about and still be comfortable??

Mar 8, 2013 at 9:54 PM Post #701 of 2,205
Quote:

IIRC, Pandora regularly streams 192kbps, which is pretty lossy, but sounds pretty good, while the subscription service uses (mostly) 320kbps, which is still lossy and not quite as high quality as FLAC, a lossless format, or listening straight from CD/DVD.

Mar 8, 2013 at 10:02 PM Post #702 of 2,205
Quote:

IIRC, Pandora regularly streams 192kbps, which is pretty lossy, but sounds pretty good, while the subscription service uses (mostly) 320kbps, which is still lossy and not quite as high quality as FLAC, a lossless format, or listening straight from CD/DVD.

Subscription at (mostly) 320kbps is about as good as you can get - I'll have to see if Pandora streams way up here (Canader eh?). Any other streaming recommendations? So far, I have been enjoying trance.fm. Also plenty of gems on soundcloud (although I am not 100% sure how to tell what the kbps rates are).

Mar 8, 2013 at 10:14 PM Post #703 of 2,205

Subscription at (mostly) 320kbps is about as good as you can get - I'll have to see if Pandora streams way up here (Canader eh?). Any other streaming recommendations? So far, I have been enjoying trance.fm. Also plenty of gems on soundcloud (although I am not 100% sure how to tell what the kbps rates are).

For soundcloud, it depends in what the user uploads. I try to upload either .wav files or 320kbps, but Ive sadly downloaded 128kbps tracks and mixes from soundcloud...

Mar 8, 2013 at 10:18 PM Post #704 of 2,205
I found that I couldn't tell the difference between 192kbps and 320kbps in ABX tests, so I went with the streaming service that has the best user experience: Rdio. They stream at 192kbps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back