Audio Technica updates their open headphones "AD" Series: AD2000x, AD1000x, AD900x, AD700x and AD500x
Dec 26, 2020 at 11:09 PM Post #2,176 of 2,205
I picked up an AD900x last year or the year before, I've forgotten now, and I sort of put it aside for a time. Now that I pick it back up, I remember that I was disappointed with the lack of openness and sonic finesse of this open-back can versus my other headphones. I decided to try cutting small holes in the earpads in a particular pattern, remembering how this was a big help to DT1350 and my HD25 currently using chinese earpads.
The original AD900 and AD700 had perforated inner sides on their earpads, thus venting, while the newer versions do not.

IMG_4440.JPG

I eventually ended up with five holes in this pattern:

IMG_4439b.JPG

Notice I didn't touch the bottom of the earpads. Do this, and you may improve bass quality in some ways, but you are guaranteed to lose bass as well, and this can could use some boost rather than attenuation. In fact, on headphones with perforated stock earpads like DT770 and T90, others and I have recommended covering up the holes on the bottom half with electrical tape to increase bass.

Anyway, the result of the modification is less colored and more tranparent and refined trebles and midrange. AD900x sounds more open, too. I will probably try adding more holes later to try and see if I can get it sounding even more open.
This is definitely a major error on AT's part with the earpad design, they probably should have kept the original designs rather than redesign the earpads for the newer generation.

This is worth trying out on the closed Art Monitor series as well, though preferably on spare earpads just in case that the results end up bad or if you screw up in the process.

update: I've upgraded to wang_yifei pads plus I duplicated the perforation mod I described here, the overall sound only got better with the thicker wang_yifei pads (this seller's products are nicer quality than is usual for chinese aftermarket stuff). Even if you do not mod the pads, the sound is still an improvement over stock, and a good bit of the closed quality of the sound goes away. There did happen to be a downside with the pad change, you do lose a bit of subbass, which is already weak in the stock headphone, but I use AD900x with my mobile gear most of the time, so I just add bass boost and I get very clear, tight, and punchy subbass and midbass as a result.

Last edited:
Dec 27, 2020 at 2:16 AM Post #2,178 of 2,205
Owners of AD2000x should try the pairing with burson soloist 3x performance, it makes the AD2000x sing!

Jul 13, 2021 at 9:05 PM Post #2,180 of 2,205
if AD700x/AD900x around 7,8/10 rating, AD1000x/AD2000x are probably around 10,11/10 rating so they're huge enough upgrade

One of the best headphone in class especially shines in female vocal and all rounder music

Jul 13, 2021 at 11:26 PM Post #2,181 of 2,205
if AD700x/AD900x around 7,8/10 rating, AD1000x/AD2000x are probably around 10,11/10 rating so they're huge enough upgrade

One of the best headphone in class especially shines in female vocal and all rounder music
I agree with this and even though AD2000x is easy to drive, it really scales well with a more powerful amplifier. Paired mine with Burson Soloist 3x and the amount of air it was able to produce with the pairing is unreal. :)

Aug 6, 2021 at 11:36 PM Post #2,182 of 2,205
Is it worth trying to find the AD2000x or AD1000x in the used market since they are discontinued or is the 900x/700x similar enough to them that it isn't worth the price increase?
the As500-900x has safer sound sig, the 1000x and 2000x are where Audio techinica flex their expertise and freedom on tuning, they are the more quintessentially Audio Technica of the line

Sep 24, 2021 at 3:33 AM Post #2,184 of 2,205
Hello everyone,

I just got an ad2000x on loan to me. I absolutely love it for the female vocal and the openness.
The only point where I have doubt is the price. Does it stack up against other headphone of the same price category (~USD800)?

If I value the the openness and vocal a lot, is it best in class or
is there any other headphonel in this price range that I should try out?

That said, so far I love the ad2000x:L3000:
It is quite costly for me so it would be wise to get a second opinion.

Sep 24, 2021 at 4:22 AM Post #2,186 of 2,205
Hello everyone,

I just got an ad2000x on loan to me. I absolutely love it for the female vocal and the openness.
The only point where I have doubt is the price. Does it stack up against other headphone of the same price category (~USD800)?

If I value the the openness and vocal a lot, is it best in class or
is there any other headphonel in this price range that I should try out?

That said, so far I love the ad2000x:L3000:
It is quite costly for me so it would be wise to get a second opinion.
There are better options if you are looking for pure technical performance but if you really love the sound of the ad2000x, then it is worth it. If I am listening to my JPOP and KPOP, then I prefer it over my LCD 2 and HE1000 v1. :)

Sep 26, 2021 at 5:57 AM Post #2,187 of 2,205
The Hifiman Ananda would be a good place to start.
I have both AD1000X and Ananda here and can confirm that well driven Ananda run around the AudioTechnica in anything but vocal tuning.

The Ananda has bigger Soundstage, more precise imaging, more extension both on bottom and top end, and overall more detailed and balanced.
But I still keep my 1000x around simply as the lead shortens quite a bit when both are driven portably
Also you just can't get that Audio technica female vocal in anything but select few of their products. And the AD 1000-2000x, in that point only, are the best there is.

Sep 26, 2021 at 6:06 AM Post #2,188 of 2,205
You are incorrect with that assessment, in regards to the tuning. The Ananda has a far more natural tuning. It very closely mimics the harman response curve as well. The AD1000X and AD2000X have a rather large peak at 4kHz. This is why vocals are so forward on these two headphones.

Sep 26, 2021 at 6:14 AM Post #2,189 of 2,205
Exactly, I'm talking about the vocal tuning here as in regard to what's good as an "audio technica vocal". As the OP said it himself as he loves the A2X for the tuning, and not something else it has, thus what I choose to say about the comparison.
It's true that Ananda sound more natural and real. But again, it just doesn't have the "AT female vocal". It's a coloration, things that some people actually prefer.

Sep 26, 2021 at 6:22 AM Post #2,190 of 2,205
I am certainly not taking away anything from these headphones. If you look back in the thread, you will see that briefly owned the AD1000X. The 2 issues with these headphones are that they lack bass, and that the vocals can become harsh at high volumes due to fact that they are so forward at 4kHz.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back