Audio Technica updates their open headphones "AD" Series: AD2000x, AD1000x, AD900x, AD700x and AD500x
Nov 18, 2014 at 1:10 PM Post #1,876 of 2,205

Thank you for the quick reply! Are there any digital surround software's that are better than others? I don't really understand what all I need to get the best positional audio.

Stock ad700 are REALLY good for positional audio. They really don't need a great audio source or amp to shine. They lack bass and excitement but if positional audio is most important then ad700 is your headphone. 

Nov 18, 2014 at 3:10 PM Post #1,877 of 2,205

Thank you for the quick reply! Are there any digital surround software's that are better than others? I don't really understand what all I need to get the best positional audio.

Stock ad700 are REALLY good for positional audio. They really don't need a great audio source or amp to shine. They lack bass and excitement but if positional audio is most important then ad700 is your headphone. 

I have the AD700x's already. Im just trying to find software and hardware the provides virtual surround sound. Is having virtual surround even nessassary?

Nov 19, 2014 at 10:12 AM Post #1,880 of 2,205

Digital to Audio Converter: a sound card basically.

For most of us we say DAC because most of our "sound cards" are not inside our computers, and some don't even use USB. As long as the devices converts digital information into sound, it is a DAC.

Sound cards however, are not just DACs since they have their own built in amp to power whatever you plug in. A dedicated DAC such as the ODAC or the ELE D01 would not provide enough power for the headphones to reach their potential. This is where an amp comes in.

The reason why we tend to lean towards external DACs, than ones inside computers are design orientated: the power regulators in a PC is clean for the electronics being put inside, but is not clean enough to create a noiseless background for any speakers attached to it. Whereas an external DAC, whether it is USB or Optical, can have dedicated power regulators to clean up the "buzzing" sound. The next section of this hobby also revolves around amps and how their design impacts the sound. But that's another thread in itself.

But as far as I can tell. The ADX700 shouldn't be too picky whether it's plugged into a sound card, directly into a DAC, or a desktop sound system. Just avoid onboard sound like the plague.

Nov 19, 2014 at 11:21 AM Post #1,881 of 2,205
Using onboard sound discretely is only feasible if your motherboard has a non-standard chip like Creative SoundCore and Asus SupremeFX. If using something like Realtek, then an external dac+amp would be something worth considering.

As far as the buzzing sound goes, it's typically a non-issue unless the audio cable that plugs into the header isn't insulated, and that's mostly seen in cheap computers. The outputs on the rear panel are typically void of computer noise.

Personally, I don't like virtual audio unless I'm playing a game or watching a movie. With music, it tends to screw up the positioning on some parts, and on some songs, the bass gets some pretty bad reverb, thus messing up the quality of the song. The virtual audio in question is Dolby Headphone, THX TruStudio, and Razer Surround. The latter two basically sound like a crystalizer or treble boost DSP of sorts is turned on.

My advice to you would be to watch the following videos, find the virtual sound you like the most, and buy the appropriate card.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=04yEtZJVpyY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2BxO9cd-sYA

Edit:

A dac converts your digital music into a analog waveform. There is no amplification involved, so if you were to plug in your headhphones directly into a dac, the sound would be pretty quiet. Calling a soundcard a dac is only half of the story, as most decent sound cards also have integrated amps for the headphone-out jack. Audio-Technica's AD series headphones are pretty easy to drive, so said (op) amps is enough for them to be driven sufficiently.

Nov 19, 2014 at 12:47 PM Post #1,882 of 2,205

Digital to Audio Converter: a sound card basically.

For most of us we say DAC because most of our "sound cards" are not inside our computers, and some don't even use USB. As long as the devices converts digital information into sound, it is a DAC.

Sound cards however, are not just DACs since they have their own built in amp to power whatever you plug in. A dedicated DAC such as the ODAC or the ELE D01 would not provide enough power for the headphones to reach their potential. This is where an amp comes in.

The reason why we tend to lean towards external DACs, than ones inside computers are design orientated: the power regulators in a PC is clean for the electronics being put inside, but is not clean enough to create a noiseless background for any speakers attached to it. Whereas an external DAC, whether it is USB or Optical, can have dedicated power regulators to clean up the "buzzing" sound. The next section of this hobby also revolves around amps and how their design impacts the sound. But that's another thread in itself.

But as far as I can tell. The ADX700 shouldn't be too picky whether it's plugged into a sound card, directly into a DAC, or a desktop sound system. Just avoid onboard sound like the plague.

Using onboard sound discretely is only feasible if your motherboard has a non-standard chip like Creative SoundCore and Asus SupremeFX. If using something like Realtek, then an external dac+amp would be something worth considering.

As far as the buzzing sound goes, it's typically a non-issue unless the audio cable that plugs into the header isn't insulated, and that's mostly seen in cheap computers. The outputs on the rear panel are typically void of computer noise.

Personally, I don't like virtual audio unless I'm playing a game or watching a movie. With music, it tends to screw up the positioning on some parts, and on some songs, the bass gets some pretty bad reverb, thus messing up the quality of the song. The virtual audio in question is Dolby Headphone, THX TruStudio, and Razer Surround. The latter two basically sound like a crystalizer or treble boost DSP of sorts is turned on.

My advice to you would be to watch the following videos, find the virtual sound you like the most, and buy the appropriate card.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=04yEtZJVpyY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2BxO9cd-sYA

Edit:

A dac converts your digital music into a analog waveform. There is no amplification involved, so if you were to plug in your headhphones directly into a dac, the sound would be pretty quiet. Calling a soundcard a dac is only half of the story, as most decent sound cards also have integrated amps for the headphone-out jack. Audio-Technica's AD series headphones are pretty easy to drive, so said (op) amps is enough for them to be driven sufficiently.

OMG thank you guys so much! I finally understand the differences! HeadFi need to a  REP+ or REP- button because yall need a couple +reps.

Nov 24, 2014 at 4:14 AM Post #1,883 of 2,205
Greetings everyone^_^
Fairly new to audio.. just got the AD700X.. I love what I hear so far, I'm beginning to get addicted to the sound signature.. Specially like how these headphones made me like music outside metal. I love how clear the natural instruments sound with little to no distortion, and voices... It's like all of a sudden, breaths, sounds of the throat cavity opening up before the voice is generated.. I really could get used to this!

I love the large soundstage, I LOVE the instrumental separation as well as the refined dynamic range.. I know these lack in bass, but I hardly feel the need for it.. (tbh I have a hack you guys could use.. connect a decent subwoofer to the comp and listen.. the open ness will help here.. and the "thump" can be felt by your entire body..

Nov 25, 2014 at 8:46 PM Post #1,885 of 2,205
AD700x Review!

So I want to start off by stating that is this is my first real review of any headphone on this website. I am not an audiophile by any stretch of you imagination! I will try to best explain what my opinions are in as clearly as possible. Enjoy!

These are my first pair of open backed headphones. My intention for these headphones were and still are my go to gaming headphones for CS:GO. But as total virgin to open back cans I had no idea what to expect for music and gaming.

I will start with gaming first.

GAMING

CS:GO: For CS these can are the best I have heard EVER. The positional audio, clarity and soundstage can not be beat. You can easily pinpoint were an enemy shoots and is running from. I did not realize how much I was missing with my old cans. I even thought I had a good headset eg, Siberia V2's. There is just a night and day difference between the two. Although there was bloody good positional ques I did notice some serious harshness when I fired my gun. I don't think its the cans fault, I think its CS:GO's bullet firing sound clip that just has a piercingly high treble boost.

Paired with the Zalman clip on mic, these are one of my most highly recommended setups for CS:GO.

Battlefield 4, 3: You will not benefit as much from high tier positional audio, as BF4 is not a very competitive shooter, but the immersion you get just from DICE's superb audio engine is enough to give me multiple eargasms. I noticed where planes came from, where tanks were driving up,where that super annoying AA is spamming in the little inconspicuos corner of the map. I would still recommend these for Battlefield even if the competitive benefits are not as prevalent as CS:GO's.

COD: I hardly ever play COD but for he sake of this review I decided to login to my old steam account with COD: Black ops on it. The AD700x's absolutely excel at the footsteps and where they are coming from. I think cod benefits from a more refined audio engine than CS:GO and BF4 coming out on top, but they all have their advantages. (For the love of God don't get into a flame war).

Music:

Keep in mind that i am not an audiophile so please don't give me shciit. I do want constructive criticism however!

When I first decided to buy these was aware that they sounded great for music but it was put in the back of my mind with the constant chatter about how good they are for gaming, ect, ect ect. So when I received them I was astounded by how good the whole of the sound was from the AD700x's. I was expecting a clear but metallic high, a pompous mid, and a lacking bass. But wow was I wrong, the highs are so clean and sparkly in a very pleasurable, good sense. I literally found myself wanting to eat the highs because they were so tasty! The Mid's are oh so good! They are in no way, pompous or "bloated" for the lack of a better word. I heard parts of music that I never drempt of hearing. Vocals seem to be very clear and present, being carried effortlessly by a wonderfully large soundstage. One of the one things that I looked most forward to was the hyped soundstage. And SCHIIT these have such a large soundstage. You feel as if you have a room on your head and its a wonderful sensation, Classical music, liquid DNB just sound magical, and airy, giving the most tingly of sensations up the spine. The bass was often refered to as lacking, but I honestly don't see that. I hear a rich, well controlled, refined, high grade bass.  The bass is not like the bass in my car(2 12's) but a more dainty, but sexy bass, that will grow on just about anyone. They aren't just for gaming folks they do music too!

Comfort:

These are most absolutely the most comfortable headphone I have ever worn although I did have to do the rubber band mod just so it would push down on the tops ear over extended periods of time, They are incredibly light. The pads are perfectly deep and made of a cloth that does get hot if worn for more than 5 hours. The headband is very pliable and comfortable. I like the way Audio Technica uses the wing design, it makes it almost float on your head.  But the ONLY issue i have with these cans is both a issue and a treat. The Cord. The cord is very long 10ft to be exact but it has some crazy memory in it. It still holds the little curl of the packaging in it. Not a deal breaker just a little annoyance!

Thanks for reading and I hope to be reviewing other cans soon!

Nov 26, 2014 at 4:31 AM Post #1,888 of 2,205
  AD700x Review!

So I want to start off by stating that is this is my first real review of any headphone on this website. I am not an audiophile by any stretch of you imagination! I will try to best explain what my opinions are in as clearly as possible. Enjoy!

These are my first pair of open backed headphones. My intention for these headphones were and still are my go to gaming headphones for CS:GO. But as total virgin to open back cans I had no idea what to expect for music and gaming.

I will start with gaming first.

GAMING

CS:GO: For CS these can are the best I have heard EVER. The positional audio, clarity and soundstage can not be beat. You can easily pinpoint were an enemy shoots and is running from. I did not realize how much I was missing with my old cans. I even thought I had a good headset eg, Siberia V2's. There is just a night and day difference between the two. Although there was bloody good positional ques I did notice some serious harshness when I fired my gun. I don't think its the cans fault, I think its CS:GO's bullet firing sound clip that just has a piercingly high treble boost.

The original gold/purple AD700 have a bit better clarity and staging plus a cloth wrapped with better wiring cord and more comfortable shaped ear pads and some magnesium construction. The specs read better on the AD700X with sensitivity at 100db versus the older AD700 at 98db but the AD700 are still the standard in gaming and comfort.

Nov 26, 2014 at 6:59 PM Post #1,889 of 2,205
Who?

Nov 28, 2014 at 8:56 PM Post #1,890 of 2,205
Got my AD2000Xs in, pretty good 'phones. I'm not gonna mod them yet since I'm wanting to compare them to the K7XXs I'm getting in a couple weeks first. I made a quick eq to fix the wonky upper mids and treble. After that, they sound much better. Still needs some work in the lower mids and bass, which my mod will fix, and some other things (soundstage depth and width, bass and sub-bass quantity, and personally, comfort). I'm gonna feel kinda bad afterward modding them because these 'phones look so nice...oh well. Function over form.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back