Audio Technica updates their open headphones "AD" Series: AD2000x, AD1000x, AD900x, AD700x and AD500x
Sep 3, 2014 at 11:55 PM Post #1,831 of 2,205
  After going AD900x to AD1000x to AD2000x I decided to buy the AD900x to see the differences as I remember liking them quite a bit at the time (currently own 2kx). First thing that strikes me is they are definitely more comfy, the clamping is just right and the drivers don't rest on my ears. Comfiest phones for me, and recently I've owned HD800, q701, Shure 1540 among others.

Soundstage is bigger because the driver isn't so close to your ear. AD900x are really a bargain, I'm actually debating which I like more at this point, certainly not a world of difference. There is more treble than the 2Kx which I like.

Interesting impressions! I haven't tried the big brothers to the AD900X, but I still really love them after a few years and feel no need to part with them. They are my favorite headphones for watching movies and concert DVD's etc. And as you said, they are ridiculously comfortable. Long live the AD900X's!
beerchug.gif

Sep 4, 2014 at 2:14 AM Post #1,832 of 2,205
Since we're on the comfort of the AD900x, I have to say that my AD2K was improved massively by putting the 900x pads on them! Not sure if the 1kx and 2kx have the same pads? Definitely a step up from the stock 2k pads, though.

Sep 4, 2014 at 11:39 PM Post #1,833 of 2,205
Just tried the AD900x pads on my 2Kx and you're right, they're firmer so they put a bit more distance between the ear and driver, makes comfort pretty much the same as the ad900x now :) Actually works both ways, the 900x has a tighter clamp so the softer pads of the 2Kx improve that. 

Sep 7, 2014 at 8:11 AM Post #1,834 of 2,205
Since we're on the comfort of the AD900x, I have to say that my AD2K was improved massively by putting the 900x pads on them! Not sure if the 1kx and 2kx have the same pads? Definitely a step up from the stock 2k pads, though.

Does you ear still touching the driver? Any changes on sound?

Sep 7, 2014 at 11:27 AM Post #1,836 of 2,205
I'm still confuse whether to get the W5000 earpads or AD900X earpads just like you guys mentioned @pngwn, @marts30 for my AD2000.

Sep 8, 2014 at 12:13 AM Post #1,837 of 2,205
I'm still confuse whether to get the W5000 earpads or AD900X earpads just like you guys mentioned @pngwn, @marts30 for my AD2000.

I did the pad stuffing mod because the angle of the drivers still lead them to touching my ears :/ I just rolled 2x 2 plys of toilet paper and stuffed them under the pads behind where my ears would be. Infinitely more comfortable than the stock pads or Denon D5000 pads, IME.

Sep 8, 2014 at 9:45 AM Post #1,840 of 2,205

That is one problem I don't have with my "2000" the driver hitting my ear. 
darthsmile.gif

I really wish I could hear these just to see how they compare to vanilla AD2000s

My guess is they have a lot more bass. When Capser was modding them he tried everything and mentioned they lost all their bass when they were completely open. Looking at the ad2000 design and having previous experience with the ad700 I could forsee the vanilla ad2000 to also be very bass light. This isn't to say the MS2k's are bass heavy it just sounds controlled, textured and powerful when the song calls for it. 

What I can't get over is how ultra fast the MS2000's are. I thought I had good headphones with beyerdynamic 990's and Denon 2000's but the MS2000's are another step up. It sounds like a smooth and more controlled Beyer 990 and a balanced bass/mid/high version of Denon 2000's.

Sep 12, 2014 at 8:34 PM Post #1,842 of 2,205
  I just saw this for the ad2000's.

Is this graph accurate to what you hear?

I ask this because the MS2000's don't sound like that. 

don't forget that this is raw graph , not compensated . highs on AD2000 are not that scarry , mediums is what stand most , very tick luxurious mids , they are not bass monsters by any mean , on the light side for bass (not as much as AD700 )

Also drivers alone don't do all the thing , the housing , dampening etc are parts of it , so it's not strange that your MS2000 may don't sound like an AD2000 .

Sep 12, 2014 at 9:04 PM Post #1,843 of 2,205

don't forget that this is raw graph , not compensated . highs on AD2000 are not that scarry , mediums is what stand most , very tick luxurious mids , they are not bass monsters by any mean , on the light side for bass (not as much as AD700 )

Also drivers alone don't do all the thing , the housing , dampening etc are parts of it , so it's not strange that your MS2000 may don't sound like an AD2000 .

The MS2000's sounds fairly neutral. That is why i expected the ad2000's to also be somewhat neutral. That peak scares me. It reminds me of my beyer 990's that I can easily hear the rollercoaster spike in treble. 

Sep 19, 2014 at 8:15 PM Post #1,844 of 2,205
I've owned the AD2kx for about 3 months now.It was slightly lacking in treble, compared to my AD900x but it is no longer of my concern. I deeply appreciate how close-sounding this headphone is (it's definitely not a volume bias), yet still provide a fulfilling soundstage, so you don't feel claustrophobic. My A900x and my Westone UM3x are example of cans that felt claustrophobic to me. The AD2000x is now my main headphone instead of my A900xAD900x.

I couldn't resist typing out about the A2000x too. Once you have a proper seal (A2000x craves it BADLY. Refer to the A2000x thread for proper way to make it seal), I think the A2000x has no equal in the closed-cans area and could pretty much go head-to-head with many open cans. The clarity in this can and the soundstage it has, is just amazing. I didn't think the soundstage could come from a closed can. I won't say that the AD2000x is better than the A2000x or otherwise, as their sound signature is different, albeit still mid-centric. AD2000x just gets my frequent use because I need to hear people calling me in the house, and my A2000x is my office can. The A2000x pad material feels more comfortable to me, but it gets hotter compared to the AD2000x.

Both cans appreciate a bass boost, especially the A2000x. Give it a bass boost and you get an eargasm.

Also, in case anyone needs this info: Since the higher end AT cans and all the AIR series don't have that swivel that the A900x has, getting a proper seal is hard. A proper seal won't hurt your jaw, and if it does, you're doing it wrong. You have to change the angle where the headphone sits at. This is the one terrible drawback of AT cans, they're apparently tailor made to the current long-term user. Anyone that wishes to audition it will have to cup the cans hard.

K701, if you want actually clear treble. Also less bloated bass.

I wouldn't say the K701 is technically superior to the AD2000X, but the difference in detail retrieval is so glaringly apparent that it's refreshing to switch between the two.

But I can't recommend them K712/K612. They took an awesome headphone and tried to make them more mainstream (maybe similar to the AD2K vs AD2KX), thereby losing what made them so appealing in the first place. The AD2000X > K712 any day.

I'm quite satisfied with my AD2000x and my A2000x. I'm willing to drown in ignorance about any better cans out there and say that these are the best cans in existence. I really felt that I've reached audio nirvana with these cans.

If there are any closed cans that can come close to the A2000x in soundstage and SQ, or any open cans that can come close to AD2000x extremely close-sounding soundstage, I think I'll find a place to audition them. Other cans are apparently easier to find for auditioning in my area. They sell AT cans here too, but they don't really put them up for auditioning, strangely. I hope they don't sound better than my cans, I don't want to buy more cans... 5 is already too many for me.

Sep 19, 2014 at 8:29 PM Post #1,845 of 2,205
  I've owned the AD2kx for about 3 months now.It was slightly lacking in treble, compared to my AD900x but it is no longer of my concern. I deeply appreciate how close-sounding this headphone is (it's definitely not a volume bias), yet still provide a fulfilling soundstage, so you don't feel claustrophobic. My A900x and my Westone UM3x are example of cans that felt claustrophobic to me. The AD2000x is now my main headphone instead of my A900x.

I couldn't resist typing out about the A2000x too. Once you have a proper seal (A2000x craves it BADLY. Refer to the A2000x thread for proper way to make it seal), I think the A2000x has no equal in the closed-cans area and could pretty much go head-to-head with many open cans. The clarity in this can and the soundstage it has, is just amazing. I didn't think the soundstage could come from a closed can. I won't say that the AD2000x is better than the A2000x or otherwise, as their sound signature is different, albeit still mid-centric. AD2000x just gets my frequent use because I need to hear people calling me in the house, and my A2000x is my office can. The A2000x pad material feels more comfortable to me, but it gets hotter compared to the AD2000x.

Also, in case anyone needs this info: Since the higher end AT cans and all the AIR series don't have that swivel that the A900x has, getting a proper seal is hard. A proper seal won't hurt your jaw, and if it does, you're doing it wrong. You have to change the angle where the headphone sits at. This is the one terrible drawback of AT cans, they're apparently tailor made to the current long-term user. Anyone that wishes to audition it will have to cup the cans hard.

I'm quite satisfied with my AD2000x and my A2000x. I'm willing to drown in ignorance about any better cans out there and say that these are the best cans in existence. I really felt that I've reached audio nirvana with these cans.

If there's any closed cans that can come close to the A2000x in soundstage and SQ, or any open cans that can come close to AD2000x extremely close-sounding soundstage, I think I'll find a place to audition them. Other cans are apparently easier to find for auditioning in my area. They sell AT cans here too, but they don't really put them up for auditioning, strangely.

The modified ad2000's, the MS2000's seem to be the best middle ground. The ad2000's drivers in a semi-open headphone with a much smaller cup and deep pleather pads. Really good sound stage, amazing bass and ultra fast. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back