Audio Technica updates their open headphones "AD" Series: AD2000x, AD1000x, AD900x, AD700x and AD500x
Jan 3, 2014 at 8:14 AM Post #1,576 of 2,205
  I finally got the AD2000x on order together with the W1000x, one of the few ATs i havent heard yet. The Euro/Yen exchange rate got back to where both are priced attractively. What i noticed is that there are/were quite alot of AD2000x on sale here in the meantime. If any ex-owner is still here i'm curious to know what made you sell your pair.

3D Wings
redface.gif

Jan 3, 2014 at 8:17 AM Post #1,577 of 2,205

I can see why people don't like them. But it's such an easy fix if you like the sound of them.

Having said that, compared to all the other headphones I own/owned they are the most "boring". Kind of dry with a wide soundstage that's not very intimate. My comparison is based Grados (80, 225, 325, 500, Bushmills, RS1), DT990, D2000, K550, WS99.
I think the AD2000X just needs a bit more bass for me. Make it a bit more liquid sounding. I would like to eventually try the A2000X pads on them to see if that helps with the bass. No one has been able to confirm if they fit yet and i'd hate to waste the $55 or so.

Jan 3, 2014 at 1:47 PM Post #1,578 of 2,205
I can see why people don't like them. But it's such an easy fix if you like the sound of them.

Having said that, compared to all the other headphones I own/owned they are the most "boring". Kind of dry with a wide soundstage that's not very intimate. My comparison is based Grados (80, 225, 325, 500, Bushmills, RS1), DT990, D2000, K550, WS99.
I think the AD2000X just needs a bit more bass for me. Make it a bit more liquid sounding. I would like to eventually try the A2000X pads on them to see if that helps with the bass. No one has been able to confirm if they fit yet and i'd hate to waste the $55 or so.

I tried some fixes it helped , but i was never totaly Ok . AD2000 grip was great , but touching drivers killed it , and stuffing the pads altered the sound : / , AD2000X too loose , rubber band help a bit not not enough . etc etc .

Jan 3, 2014 at 2:17 PM Post #1,579 of 2,205
I wonder why AT went for the loose fit with the introduction of the W5000. I personally didnt have any problems with the ATs i tried but the older series just fit so perfectly, there was no need to "fix" it. The only reason i can think of is this was done intentionally to give a bit of air between the ear and the drivers. Atleast that made sense with my W5000 and i didn't like the sound of it pushed closer to the ears. Bass lovers might disagree :)

Jan 3, 2014 at 6:29 PM Post #1,580 of 2,205
Ok so im looking for a pair of gaming headphones with some bass. Will be using them with PC and PS3 for now and maybe pairing it up with a usb recon3d.

Now i was initially going to buy the closed A700X when they were 100 but waited thinking they may go cheaper...Wrong! they now cost 140 on amazon. I want to keep my budget down to 110.
So after viewing other audio technica headsets and me being cheap, i found the ad500x. Its an open headset but since i want bass, not alot but enough for explosions, i looked at the a500x and they are worth almost the same as the a700x.

So now it comes down to the ad500x and maybe the ad700x.

So if someone could give me the differences between the ad500x and ad700x for gaming, i would really appreciate it. the ad500x are like 90 on amazon and seem like a bargain.

I just wonder if the 500s have almost the same sound signature as the 700s

thank youu

Jan 4, 2014 at 5:08 AM Post #1,582 of 2,205
Ok so im looking for a pair of gaming headphones with some bass. Will be using them with PC and PS3 for now and maybe pairing it up with a usb recon3d.

Now i was initially going to buy the closed A700X when they were 100 but waited thinking they may go cheaper...Wrong! they now cost 140 on amazon. I want to keep my budget down to 110.
So after viewing other audio technica headsets and me being cheap, i found the ad500x. Its an open headset but since i want bass, not alot but enough for explosions, i looked at the a500x and they are worth almost the same as the a700x.

So now it comes down to the ad500x and maybe the ad700x.

So if someone could give me the differences between the ad500x and ad700x for gaming, i would really appreciate it. the ad500x are like 90 on amazon and seem like a bargain.

I just wonder if the 500s have almost the same sound signature as the 700s

thank youu

To bad about the inflation in AT headphone prices. Forget the 'X' its the AD700 or nothing. The 500x or otherwise will disappoint, wide but dull sounds. They are all a bit base lite unless you have an equalizer for adjustments and even that leaves you wanting true bass. Unless you step up to one of the 900 series or higher, that helps but not much in the bass department.

Jan 4, 2014 at 4:11 PM Post #1,583 of 2,205
    is the imaging on the ad900x really that bad? would it affect watching movies with badly?

also,there's an ad900x review and FR graph on headphones.reviewed.com comparing it directly with the ad900. it seems hugely contradictory with how everyone compares the two. in that review/graph,he says and shows that the real difference is in the upper mids and highs,both being less(ad900x) but also a big underemphasis at 2-4kHz and 5-7kHz. he also implies the ad900 is more neutral and has less bass roll-off.

this is very different to how most people compare the two,most saying that they are similar but the ad900x having more bass and slightly less highs.

how is correct? is that review and graph totally off? I really want/need to know.

thanks. sorry,i can't post a link(I guess i'm too new here) but that review and graph is super easy to find. just google-->search for: ad900x review headphones.reviewed.com----> click on "the science" at the right.

oops,sorry for the double post.

Maybe I'm the only one, but imaging was the reason why I got rid of the AD900x.  Most faster paced/layered music sounded muffled to me.  I thought I was the only one until a_recording's review lol.....

For the price, you are not going to get better value at the moment.  The A900x was frequently $99 last year, but now is twice the price..  (Best value ever hehe)  Was hard to justify the AD900x before, now it makes a lot more sense.

Should not be an issue for movies.  They are not worth the $200+ IMO if you are not a die hard fan of the signature and know how to find deals :wink:

Jan 4, 2014 at 8:03 PM Post #1,585 of 2,205
  Maybe I'm the only one, but imaging was the reason why I got rid of the AD900x.  Most faster paced/layered music sounded muffled to me.  I thought I was the only one until a_recording's review lol.....

For the price, you are not going to get better value at the moment.  The A900x was frequently $99 last year, but now is twice the price..  (Best value ever hehe)  Was hard to justify the AD900x before, now it makes a lot more sense.

Should not be an issue for movies.  They are not worth the $200+ IMO if you are not a die hard fan of the signature and know how to find deals :wink:

My worries were based on contradictory reviews. Now having owned the AD900X for some time,i can honestly say that,for me,those worries were totally unfounded. I was concerned that on,for example,a YES track like Close To The Edge,would sound like a mess(including,but not limited to,"muffled"). Many prog rock tunes can be very complex with a myriad of different instruments coming at you all at once,..again,all of my music have none of that,they all sound very good and all the imaging is as it should be. I remember the specific moment when i finally realized just how good the imaging on the AD900X really is. It was when I listened to a Genesis album called The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway,but especially(and,actually,many other tracks on there too),on a track there called The Waiting Room. After that,i have never thought about any inadequacies of the AD900X's imaging abilities. The difference here is that,while some HPs may give you imaging that's "in your head" or very close to your head/ears,the AD900X gives it to you a little farther out and apart,which I actually like quite a lot. If it's in the recording and affective,you'll hear it as your supposed to(with it's sound signature and other qualities,of course). My worries of the AD900X's imaging have long been laid to rest.

Of course,all ears,people and their experiences are different,so I like to say YMMV,..i can't vouch for what everyone will hear. Also,my comments here are specific to the AD900X. also,imho,they are indeed worth $200(although,i paid $190 with a $5 coupon code,no shipping cost). I also think you don't necessarily have to particularly be an Audio Technica sound signature fan.

Jan 4, 2014 at 10:13 PM Post #1,586 of 2,205

My worries were based on contradictory reviews. Now having owned the AD900X for some time,i can honestly say that,for me,those worries were totally unfounded. I was concerned that on,for example,a YES track like Close To The Edge,would sound like a mess(including,but not limited to,"muffled"). Many prog rock tunes can be very complex with a myriad of different instruments coming at you all at once,..again,all of my music have none of that,they all sound very good and all the imaging is as it should be. I remember the specific moment when i finally realized just how good the imaging on the AD900X really is. It was when I listened to a Genesis album called The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway,but especially(and,actually,many other tracks on there too),on a track there called The Waiting Room. After that,i have never thought about any inadequacies of the AD900X's imaging abilities. The difference here is that,while some HPs may give you imaging that's "in your head" or very close to your head/ears,the AD900X gives it to you a little farther out and apart,which I actually like quite a lot. If it's in the recording and affective,you'll hear it as your supposed to(with it's sound signature and other qualities,of course). My worries of the AD900X's imaging have long been laid to rest.

Of course,all ears,people and their experiences are different,so I like to say YMMV,..i can't vouch for what everyone will hear. Also,my comments here are specific to the AD900X. also,imho,they are indeed worth $200(although,i paid $190 with a $5 coupon code,no shipping cost). I also think you don't necessarily have to particularly be an Audio Technica sound signature fan.

dt990 pro for $102 shipped with warranty.. When I said they were not worth $200, I meant if you are a bargain hunter and are not necessarily looking for an at signature sound.

I have owned headphones with a more expansive soundstage, but as you said, ymmv. I might get the AD900x again just because my music tastes seem to change this
time of year lol. Is amazon.jp the best option still?

Jan 5, 2014 at 1:57 AM Post #1,587 of 2,205
  dt990 pro for $102 shipped with warranty.. When I said they were not worth $200, I meant if you are a bargain hunter and are not necessarily looking for an at signature sound.

I have owned headphones with a more expansive soundstage, but as you said, ymmv. I might get the AD900x again just because my music tastes seem to change this
time of year lol. Is amazon.jp the best option still?

I got mine from buydig,which is actually beach camera,so they are an authorized dealer. amazon was about $20 more plus their "free" shipping was less straight forward.

I can't speak for the DT990 PRO but i'm very familiar with tons of reviews,..it wasn't the SS I was looking for------>V.  technicalities also favor the AD900X imo,which admittedly is not what's most important. in any case,they don't seem like an appropriate match up,the DT880 would seem like a closer competitor sound wise.

Jan 5, 2014 at 4:42 AM Post #1,588 of 2,205

I got mine from buydig,which is actually beach camera,so they are an authorized dealer. amazon was about $20 more plus their "free" shipping was less straight forward.

I can't speak for the DT990 PRO but i'm very familiar with tons of reviews,..it wasn't the SS I was looking for------>V.  technicalities also favor the AD900X imo,which admittedly is not what's most important. in any case,they don't seem like an appropriate match up,the DT880 would seem like a closer competitor sound wise.

Its got better mids and a larger soundstage vs 880. I wish I never sold my first dt990 pro. Yes its more v shaped, but on a technical level the dt880/990 are really good.
I was first thinking of getting a used ad700, but the ssssibilanceeee.. Need a closed headphone, but I have not seen homogeneous reviews of the a2000x.

its hard being an audio technica fan with the dt880/990 pro.

Jan 5, 2014 at 2:33 PM Post #1,589 of 2,205
Man, am I glad to have found this thread!

Being someone completely new to the audio world, I've been doing a lot of lurking / reading / information-cramming, and just couldn't find anything on how much of a difference these headphones are from my current/only ones: beyerdynamics DT250 - 80Ohms. Is it really such a jump that it's too insignificant a phone to mention?

Anyhow, subscribed, and keeping a keen eye out for a good deal on the AD1000x!

In fact if anyone owns both the AD1000x and the DT250 - 80 Ohms; and are willing to humour me on the differences, I would appreciate it greatly!

Jan 8, 2014 at 5:48 AM Post #1,590 of 2,205
My AD2000x (and w1000x) is in germany but for the last 3 days has been sitting in customs. Oh the wait
frown.gif
 PriceJapan was as always, amazingly fast. They even shipped my headphones before getting my money. I've been a PJ customer for years and they always amaze me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back