Audio Technica updates their open headphones "AD" Series: AD2000x, AD1000x, AD900x, AD700x and AD500x
Nov 17, 2013 at 6:45 AM Post #1,561 of 2,205

I've heard both, not sure either is the right choice for EDM since neither of them are very bassy overall, though the TH600 probably has more powerful bass. The TH600 is almost certainly more open-sounding than the AD2KX - sort of a paradox there since the AD2KX is open while the TH600 is closed, but the AD2KX isn't a very open-sounding headphone. The TH600 is closer to the HD800 (mostly because of its clarity and soundstage) but it's not really that close relatively either.

Perfect. After growing accustomed to the HD800, I like my bass lean. I'll have to find an opportunity to audition the TH600.
Thanks.

Nov 17, 2013 at 7:19 AM Post #1,562 of 2,205
  T90:
The Beyer has better clarity and also has cleaner sounding with blacker background.Whistle will sounds very good here. The problem comes when you play mainstream songs, it will become sharp and lean sounding. Simply said, the T90 is brighter and leaner sounding than AD2KX, but have better technicality such as detail and separation. The whole presentation is airy with laidback mid, neutral tonality, and little impact (though still better than T70).

AD2000X:
The first thing that I notice is how musical this headphone, vocal is forward, very pleasing, no sibilance but a lot of air inside. The soundstage definitely very intimate compare to Beyer, everything come forward and close to ears, less spacious dare I say. So tu sum up, it's a forward, warm (compare to T90), very musical headphone that you will busy to enjoying songs rather than analyze them.

Wow thanks you very much for this! 

Nov 17, 2013 at 2:00 PM Post #1,563 of 2,205

Probably not, and maybe, respectively.

I see... I will just have to wait for it to arrive and see for myself then... Anyway thanks for answering my questions! ^_^

Dec 6, 2013 at 12:40 AM Post #1,564 of 2,205
Finally AD2000x has arrived! :)

Dec 13, 2013 at 12:37 AM Post #1,565 of 2,205
Anyone used third party pads or pads from another model?  I have large ears and the standard velour pads that come with the AD700X hurts my ears over time.  I'd love to know if the HM5/FA003 pads fit on AD700X's?  Or a similar pad?

Dec 13, 2013 at 8:21 AM Post #1,566 of 2,205
  Finally AD2000x has arrived! :)

And ? you are so happy with them that you didn't post any impressions?
tongue.gif

Dec 13, 2013 at 9:03 AM Post #1,567 of 2,205

tongue.gif

tongue.gif

ahahahaha! well my impression is that this headphone is very musical, have good imaging, very airy and the instruments seem to surround you but not that spacious compared let's say to the T90 which I have tried last week at a headphone store. Also the treble is very smooth and non fatiguing even after listening 8hrs straight loud using my pan am amp. Hehe and even though it is very easy to drive, I have found it to scale using different amps. I have tried to run it on iphone 4s and in my pc using Fiio e17, Fiio E17 with E09k and Pan Am and I can say that having a good amp definitely improves sound quality. Very good at micro detail also while still retaining the musicality ^_^

Dec 13, 2013 at 10:17 AM Post #1,568 of 2,205

ahahahaha! well my impression is that this headphone is very musical, have good imaging, very airy and the instruments seem to surround you but not that spacious compared let's say to the T90 which I have tried last week at a headphone store. Also the treble is very smooth and non fatiguing even after listening 8hrs straight loud using my pan am amp. Hehe and even though it is very easy to drive, I have found it to scale using different amps. I have tried to run it on iphone 4s and in my pc using Fiio e17, Fiio E17 with E09k and Pan Am and I can say that having a good amp definitely improves sound quality. Very good at micro detail also while still retaining the musicality ^_^

^^ Always great to have impressions on AD2000X , despite this thread having more than 105 pages , there is not so much comment about how AD2000X sound so it always helpfull to have some words about it
smile.gif

Dec 13, 2013 at 5:23 PM Post #1,569 of 2,205
  is the imaging with the ad900x really that bad? would it affect watching movies with it badly?

also,there's an ad900x frequency response graph on headphones.reviewed.com comparing to the older ad900 that contradicts what most reviews say. most reviews say that the ad900x sounds similar to the ad900 but with more bass and lower highs and reducing any possible sibilance. however,his review and graph say and show that the difference is really only in the upper mids and highs but especially an underemphasis in 2-4kHz and 5-7kHz comparatively. he also says there's a roll off on the bass but that part looks similar to me on the graph. he also suggests that the ad900 is more neutral.

can someone please tell me if that graph and review is simply wrong or if everybody else is wrong? the two descriptions seem quite different to me.

thanks.

here's the link of the review and graph:http://headphones.reviewed.com/content/audio-technica-ath-ad900x/science-page

Dec 13, 2013 at 5:40 PM Post #1,570 of 2,205
  is the imaging on the ad900x really that bad? would it affect watching movies with badly?

also,there's an ad900x review and FR graph on headphones.reviewed.com comparing it directly with the ad900. it seems hugely contradictory with how everyone compares the two. in that review/graph,he says and shows that the real difference is in the upper mids and highs,both being less(ad900x) but also a big underemphasis at 2-4kHz and 5-7kHz. he also implies the ad900 is more neutral and has less bass roll-off.

this is very different to how most people compare the two,most saying that they are similar but the ad900x having more bass and slightly less highs.

how is correct? is that review and graph totally off? I really want/need to know.

thanks. sorry,i can't post a link(I guess i'm too new here) but that review and graph is super easy to find. just google-->search for: ad900x review headphones.reviewed.com----> click on "the science" at the right.

oops,sorry for the double post.

Dec 13, 2013 at 7:49 PM Post #1,571 of 2,205
No, HELL NO! and I trust my ears and I share the opinion of many... the 900x has more bass impact and more polite highs... resolution wise the are about the same... not super detailed but very musical (think HD600, and how it really doesn't have the best detail retrieval BUT it still sounds great) I loved mine when I had them... I let them go only because I scored the 2000x...

Dec 13, 2013 at 8:06 PM Post #1,572 of 2,205
The imaging is fine. You'd only notice if you were listening analytically to multi piece performances such as large ensemble orchestral works with busy passages that would sound "a little fuzzy" in terms of instrument positioning. Or perhaps very large band pieces where positioning of band members might become unclear during busy passages.

I know I mentioned the imaging "flaws" earlier in this thread, but it's honestly a nitpick and does not in any way detract from movies, games, music, etc.

Dec 30, 2013 at 6:35 PM Post #1,574 of 2,205
I got the Project Ember about a month ago (maybe a week after I made my post) and I've been messing around with it. I'm enjoying the things I can do with it, though I haven't been able to do a whole lot since I haven't gotten many tubes and I needed to improve my source. I should be getting some new tubes soon and deciding on a DAC to pair with it eventually. I want to thank all the guys that helped me with my questions and Asr for the info on the Ember. I'm trying to go slow with improving my listening experience since it's way too easy to dump a ton of money and regret it.

Jan 3, 2014 at 4:28 AM Post #1,575 of 2,205
I finally got the AD2000x on order together with the W1000x, one of the few ATs i havent heard yet. The Euro/Yen exchange rate got back to where both are priced attractively. What i noticed is that there are/were quite alot of AD2000x on sale here in the meantime. If any ex-owner is still here i'm curious to know what made you sell your pair.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back