Audio-Technica updates CKR series: ATH-CKR100, ATH-CKR90, ATH-CKR70
Sep 27, 2019 at 12:47 AM Post #226 of 238
The problem, if you can call it that, with me is that i really love my CKR100. I have used it in all my review comparisons, and see it as a benchmark on how to correctly tune earphones. They just sound so natural and true to the sound. I concede a little colouration in the upper mids, but it works to my taste. The CKR100 sounds very organic without going for that lush sound (think E4/5000). They are also very refined and have amazing micro-definition, while playing on the subtler level - and not in your face.
What can i say, i love these things.! and i guess that justifies any emotional reaction i throw at such negative comments, especially based on some trial use in a store, for god's sake!
Just received the ckr100 and absolutely love it! Tried way too many iems and finally this was the one that struck me. The only negative for me is that upper midrange which can sort give that thin sound affect in some places places but everything else is stellar. Btw what is the best cable for these? I was hoping a certain cable could lower the upper mids for a more pleasant and balanced sound.

Sep 27, 2019 at 12:26 PM Post #227 of 238
Just received the ckr100 and absolutely love it! Tried way too many iems and finally this was the one that struck me. The only negative for me is that upper midrange which can sort give that thin sound affect in some places places but everything else is stellar. Btw what is the best cable for these? I was hoping a certain cable could lower the upper mids for a more pleasant and balanced sound.
Hi Nabillon, I don't think a cable would change the sound. You can try running them from different sources, DAC or Amps. That would have a noticeable change of sound than changing the cables. I too bought a different cable from null-audio and believed it changed the sound. But, i really think it was my mind playing tricks. For more than a year i've been using just my stock cables with the CKR100 and have no complaints. Good luck.

Sep 27, 2019 at 1:59 PM Post #228 of 238
Hi Nabillon, I don't think a cable would change the sound. You can try running them from different sources, DAC or Amps. That would have a noticeable change of sound than changing the cables. I too bought a different cable from null-audio and believed it changed the sound. But, i really think it was my mind playing tricks. For more than a year i've been using just my stock cables with the CKR100 and have no complaints. Good luck.

@Nabillion_786 check out the Topping NX2S DAC/amp to compliment your ATH-CKR100:

https://www.amazon.com/TOPPING-NX2-...2T9Z6C&psc=1&refRID=6TZYA2YS0RRDPN2T9Z6C&th=1

Dec 17, 2019 at 4:08 PM Post #230 of 238
I have not heard the E40, but I do have the E70 and CKR100. Both are very good, but quite different.

The E70 is fairly neutral, with a bit of emphasis in the bass. It can get a little sibilant depending on the track and eartips, but I don't find it to be overly so. The CKR100 has slightly less, but more impactful bass and a little emphasis on the upper mids. It doesn't pick up sibilance as much as the E70. The E70 gives me more detail and air and the CKR100 a smoother, slightly thicker sound.

I do find the E70 significantly easier to use. The CKR100 is noticeably heavier and it can be difficult to get a good seal while avoiding driver flex. With some tips, I get flex in one ear whenever I move my jaw and that's very annoying. It took quite a bit of trial and error to find tips that work for me. The E70, on the other hand has never given any trouble on those lines. I have switched tips to find the best sound, but have never had a problem with fit. I don't like the stock cable on the E70 very much as it tends to retain its shape after being coiled for storage, which can make it press into your face or stick out into space. It can be tricky to find reasonably priced replacement cables with the A2DC connectors, but there are some on Aliexpress.

If I had to pick just one it would probably be the E70, but it does depend on what sort of sound you like.

Dec 17, 2019 at 5:14 PM Post #231 of 238
I have not heard the E40, but I do have the E70 and CKR100. Both are very good, but quite different.

The E70 is fairly neutral, with a bit of emphasis in the bass. It can get a little sibilant depending on the track and eartips, but I don't find it to be overly so. The CKR100 has slightly less, but more impactful bass and a little emphasis on the upper mids. It doesn't pick up sibilance as much as the E70. The E70 gives me more detail and air and the CKR100 a smoother, slightly thicker sound.

I do find the E70 significantly easier to use. The CKR100 is noticeably heavier and it can be difficult to get a good seal while avoiding driver flex. With some tips, I get flex in one ear whenever I move my jaw and that's very annoying. It took quite a bit of trial and error to find tips that work for me. The E70, on the other hand has never given any trouble on those lines. I have switched tips to find the best sound, but have never had a problem with fit. I don't like the stock cable on the E70 very much as it tends to retain its shape after being coiled for storage, which can make it press into your face or stick out into space. It can be tricky to find reasonably priced replacement cables with the A2DC connectors, but there are some on Aliexpress.

If I had to pick just one it would probably be the E70, but it does depend on what sort of sound you like.

Thank you for the responce
I like the audio technuca house sound like the msr7. Which one is closer to that? I heard that the e70 does not aound like audio technica sound atall

Dec 17, 2019 at 10:03 PM Post #232 of 238
I've only heard the MSR7 briefly, but do have the SR9 and I would say that the CKR100 is going to be closer to that type of sound. The E70 is made for professional use and tuned to that audience. But as I said, they're both very good and it comes down to what you prefer.

Keep the materials and style in mind as well. The E70 is probably going to be similar to the E40; a solid, all plastic build and pretty no nonsense. The CKR100 has a titanium housing, which feels a lot more substantial. It's not flashy by any means, but has a little more personality than the professional series.

Good luck with whatever you choose.

Dec 18, 2019 at 12:24 AM Post #233 of 238
I've only heard the MSR7 briefly, but do have the SR9 and I would say that the CKR100 is going to be closer to that type of sound. The E70 is made for professional use and tuned to that audience. But as I said, they're both very good and it comes down to what you prefer.

Keep the materials and style in mind as well. The E70 is probably going to be similar to the E40; a solid, all plastic build and pretty no nonsense. The CKR100 has a titanium housing, which feels a lot more substantial. It's not flashy by any means, but has a little more personality than the professional series.

Good luck with whatever you choose.
Thanks!

Apr 15, 2020 at 12:15 PM Post #234 of 238
Hello everyone, I'm looking for help, I just recently bought the CKR-100iS on Amazon for around $200 USD. But I've read some comments here talking about them probably been fake.
I'm new on this and I'm not really sure how to check its authenticity, I did contact directly Audio Technica by email and they respond this: "The only true way to verify the headphone’s authenticity is if they were purchased through an authorized dealer, which Amazon is."
Still I'm not 100% sure this are authentic, as I said I have very little experience and for me this are the best in-ear I've ever heard but I don't have much to compare them as for now this are also the most expensive headphones that I have bought.
Please if you can help me and give me your opinions I'll be very grateful.
(Sorry if I'm not clear enough, english is not my first language.

Apr 15, 2020 at 12:34 PM Post #235 of 238
Think you are safe being the iS. You can check photos and see for yourself. The packaging print, cable, and case should be good indicators. There are pics here... https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/ath-ckr100is.22648/reviews on Drop.com, on AT sites(Japan is better). Doubt they are fake cause they were not that popular and by the time the iS version came not sure there were that many of that version. More the first version and more of the CKR90 than the 100. After you feel comfortable that they are real do your self a favor and find a better cable for them. :)

Apr 15, 2020 at 7:04 PM Post #236 of 238
Thank you jant71, I've already look for photos on various pages and I'm afraid the packaging that I got is very different from the one show here: https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/ath-ckr100is.22648/reviews
I did research a little and apparently there's two versions of these headphones one is 12ohm and the other 80hm, I got the 80ohm model and I'm hoping that's why the packaging is different from the one in the review but I couldn't find more images of that model in particular. (I'd like to upload photos of mine but apparently as I am new here I can't yet)

Mar 31, 2023 at 3:58 PM Post #238 of 238
I have the ath-ckr90 and I like it much more than my E5000 for home use but I was considering to try ath-ckr100 or ath-ckr10 (if it is worth it). My question is what one should expect upgrading from Ckr90 to Ckr100 if anyone has heard both? Thanks in advance:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back