Audio Technica the master of WOOD
Mar 13, 2024 at 2:57 PM Post #451 of 479
Just arrived. Listening impressions to follow.

Attachments

• IMG_0781.jpeg
    IMG_0781.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 0
Mar 13, 2024 at 7:34 PM Post #452 of 479
(Very) preliminary impressions which I’m sure will evolve over time.

Aesthetics — I’ve always been a fan of wooden headphones (various ZMF and Kennerton models / wood variants) and can say unequivocally that the ATH-AWKG has the most striking looks of the lot. Just gorgeous in person. And I knew it would be light based on specs but it feels very light.

Sonics (n.b. my chain was T+A200 DAC feeding a niche type 45 tube amp) — Very balanced frequency response overall. Bass can go low but it doesn’t have the excursive slam of say a Focal or a mid to higher tier planar. Low sub-bass is present but you have to listen explicitly for it in the mix. Somewhat similar to a well-driven HD800S but with a touch more note weight. Mids are slightly warm and engaging with very good timbre. Treble has very nice shimmer, splash, and presence in the mix (e.g cymbals) but is never harsh / piercing. I really like the note decay on this headphone at least when paired with a tube amp. SS amp pairing will be tomorrow. Detail, imaging, and layering are very good (on par with ZMF VC for example) but not TOTL but I was not looking for those qualities in this headphone as I have the Aperio if I want to experience the summit of those traits. You are definitely paying for great (but not epic) sonics and for the rare wood. Soundstage was natural, i.e. track appropriate, and I thought staging height was above the mean compared to many other headphones. The AWKG has leaner overall note weight than some of the fuller sounding headphones I own (e.g. D8K Pro, Sol P, LCD4) but as stated above, it sounds fuller than a HD800S. My only quibble is that I’d describe the headphone as having a very “polite” FR which made it well suited to long listening sessions of dynamic genres like jazz (Mingus was great), however the politeness did not align well with a genre like stoner/doom metal (e.g. Electric Wizard) which, in my opinion, needs a bit of raucousness, “dirt”, and rumble in its presentation. By contrast, the LCD4 and D8K Pro are great for doom. I need to try the ATH with some more “precise” genres like djent to see how that works.

More to come but great first day with this beautiful headphone.

Last edited:
Mar 13, 2024 at 9:53 PM Post #453 of 479
Omg… I hope my pair ends up looking even half as good as yours! 🤤

Sounds like the tuning is more catered towards Classical, Jazz, ACG, etc. then? Which isn’t all that surprising for an ATH headphone.

It may end up replacing my Verite Open then, and slot in alongside my Verite Closed and Atrium Closed.

Mine should arrive tomorrow.

Mar 13, 2024 at 10:12 PM Post #454 of 479
Sounds like the tuning is more catered towards Classical, Jazz, ACG, etc. then? Which isn’t all that surprising for an ATH headphone.
I mainly did doom and jazz today (yes, an odd mix). More genres tomorrow as well as the MASS-Kobo 394ii SS pairing.

Mar 13, 2024 at 10:22 PM Post #455 of 479
Omg… I hope my pair ends up looking even half as good as yours! 🤤

….

Mine should arrive tomorrow.
I’m sure yours will be stunning as well. Similar to the model used in all of the press releases / product info pages, mine has one cup with the more intricate interlaced pattern (shown in my pic) and the other with more of a contrasting solid dark / light hemispherical look. Curious if yours will follow the same pattern.

Mar 14, 2024 at 12:07 AM Post #457 of 479
Are you using the stock pads? I’ve heard that the ZMF pads seem to be less… temperamental in their FR.
Yep, stock. Haven't tried the ZMF pads yet.

Mar 14, 2024 at 3:41 AM Post #458 of 479
Yep, stock. Haven't tried the ZMF pads yet.
ZMF pads will give you a much rounder sound with even a bit of a tasteful boominess to the midbass and a chestier low midrange. The main difference is tipping the scale towards macro contrast instead of a sharper transients response and microdynamics - can definitely rock out a bit more with ZMF pads in my opinion!

Canjam sample at home on various gear.. very fun night. Ironically the Leben from Japan was my least enjoyed pairing, oh well!

IMG_5739.jpeg
IMG_5740.jpeg
IMG_5741.jpeg
IMG_5730.jpeg

Audio-Technica Stay updated on Audio-Technica at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.audio-technica.com/
Mar 14, 2024 at 7:17 AM Post #459 of 479
ZMF pads will give you a much rounder sound with even a bit of a tasteful boominess to the midbass and a chestier low midrange. The main difference is tipping the scale towards macro contrast instead of a sharper transients response and microdynamics - can definitely rock out a bit more with ZMF pads in my opinion!

Canjam sample at home on various gear.. very fun night. Ironically the Leben from Japan was my least enjoyed pairing, oh well!

IMG_5739.jpegIMG_5740.jpegIMG_5741.jpegIMG_5730.jpeg
the AW-KG is such a gorgeous pair of HPs, both sonically and aesthetically. :)

Mar 14, 2024 at 8:30 AM Post #460 of 479
Still no one have the problem with the angled driver pressing against the ear and it get sore and painfull? With ATH-AWAS/AWKG?

I feel I have to reseat it and change position after 30-60 minutes and that helps just a little while.

Last edited:
Mar 14, 2024 at 10:43 PM Post #461 of 479
Interesting that you have issues with comfort. But I guess it will vary from individual to individual. I thought the AW-KG got it just right.

IMG_3659.jpeg

Mar 14, 2024 at 10:47 PM Post #462 of 479
I’m sure yours will be stunning as well. Similar to the model used in all of the press releases / product info pages, mine has one cup with the more intricate interlaced pattern (shown in my pic) and the other with more of a contrasting solid dark / light hemispherical look. Curious if yours will follow the same pattern.

Yeah… I love how the dark parts look very much like this ancient art form in China and Japan called 水墨画 (translated as ink wash painting). :)

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ink_wash_painting

Last edited:
Mar 14, 2024 at 10:59 PM Post #463 of 479
Still no one have the problem with the angled driver pressing against the ear and it get sore and painfull? With ATH-AWAS/AWKG?

I feel I have to reseat it and change position after a few minutes and that helps just a little while.
No fit or comfort issues for me but sorry to hear you are having issues.

Mar 14, 2024 at 11:13 PM Post #464 of 479
More to come but great first day with this beautiful headphone.
Fired up the MASS-Kobo 394ii SS amp today to pair with the AWKG and played mostly '90s / early '00s alternative rock (e.g. PJ Harvey). Despite their high sensitivity and midlevel impedance, the cans opened up a bit more and had slightly more weight in the bass with the extra wattage headroom of the MK which, as memory serves, can go to 2.2W compared to maybe 1W on my diminutive 45 tube amp. I still cannot get over how light these things are (while quantitatively heavier than the HD800s they feel lighter on the head than the Senn at least to me) but I'm used to my LCD4 which is an enormous beast at 690g. As suggested above, I still need to try the ZMF pads.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back