Audio Technica products on ebay? Chances of being counterfeit?
Mar 6, 2006 at 11:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 31

nomdeguerre

formerly w1ned
Joined
May 11, 2005
Posts
521
Likes
10
I'm looking at a bunch of Audio Technica earphones (clip ons) on ebay, and I notice them selling for about 1/5th or so the price that Audiocubes charges for them.
Could they possibly be knock-offs or coutnerfeits, or does Audiocubes just charge a permium on products that could be found on sale overseas?
 
Mar 6, 2006 at 11:47 PM Post #3 of 31

akwok

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
May 16, 2005
Posts
4,368
Likes
13
Quote:

Originally Posted by w1ned
I'm looking at a bunch of Audio Technica earphones (clip ons) on ebay, and I notice them selling for about 1/5th or so the price that Audiocubes charges for them.
Could they possibly be knock-offs or coutnerfeits, or does Audiocubes just charge a permium on products that could be found on sale overseas?



There were a bunch of counterfeit Audio Technica clip-ons on eBay for $5-$10 I believe.. someone posted a thread a while ago.
 
Mar 6, 2006 at 11:54 PM Post #4 of 31

kramer5150

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Sep 20, 2004
Posts
14,427
Likes
196
Search the sellers feedback profile. Sometimes buyers post neg FB..."Counterfeit, OEM and not real AT product". Something like that.

Garrett
 
Mar 7, 2006 at 2:14 AM Post #5 of 31

fureshi

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Aug 19, 2003
Posts
2,535
Likes
11
i've purchased one of the cheaper versions of the AT EC7 from ebay. what a mistake. compared to a real set of ec7, it's clearly obvious that they're fake. if i were you, i'd just save up and get the real thing from a proven store.
 
Mar 8, 2006 at 4:53 AM Post #6 of 31

EscaBoi

100+ Head-Fier
Joined
Jan 8, 2006
Posts
285
Likes
0
what about bluetin?? you've got me paranoid about this price thing now.

bluetin's prices for Audio Technica is so much lower than Audiocubes...any chance they are counter-feit??
i just bought the ES7's from them, on bluetin it's only $127 and Audiocubes it's $159
 
Mar 11, 2006 at 8:27 PM Post #8 of 31

nsjong

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Apr 28, 2005
Posts
2,452
Likes
22
Bluetin is cheap because they sell it below retail price; nothing's fake.

There are 2 fake AT earphones on eBay; the EC7 and the CM7.
While the CM7's are a bit hard to tell if they're fake, there's an easy way to see if the EC7's are fake.

See here?
d5_1_b.jpg

e7.jpg


Well, those are real.

THESE ARE FAKE
Headphones.jpg

If the rubber part overlaps the little bed there, it's FAKE.

Hope this helps.
 
Mar 12, 2006 at 12:27 AM Post #11 of 31

nsjong

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Apr 28, 2005
Posts
2,452
Likes
22
Quote:

Originally Posted by cold
If you take a look at the seller and what they are about you should get a feel for the legitimacy of their auction.


Not true.
The guy whom I took that fake picture from has very good feedback.
But he doesn't notice that real ones have that rubber part short.

But I have to say it does look quite authentic, even the extension cord.
 
Mar 12, 2006 at 12:32 AM Post #12 of 31

cold

New Head-Fier
Joined
Mar 11, 2006
Posts
10
Likes
0
Quote:

Originally Posted by nsjong
Not true.
The guy whom I took that fake picture from has very good feedback.
But he doesn't notice that real ones have that rubber part short.

But I have to say it does look quite authentic, even the extension cord.



It doesn't matter if they have good feedback, and feedback isn't the only thing to look for.

I try to look for regular people who sell their stuff after they are done with it, rather than some person doing it for profit only (bulk for example).
 
Mar 12, 2006 at 1:55 AM Post #13 of 31

nsjong

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Apr 28, 2005
Posts
2,452
Likes
22
Quote:

Originally Posted by cold
It doesn't matter if they have good feedback, and feedback isn't the only thing to look for.

I try to look for regular people who sell their stuff after they are done with it, rather than some person doing it for profit only (bulk for example).



That's what I said.
 
Mar 12, 2006 at 3:00 AM Post #14 of 31

EscaBoi

100+ Head-Fier
Joined
Jan 8, 2006
Posts
285
Likes
0
well that makes me feel a lot better about my purchase now...however still waiting for those ES7's
frown.gif


i wouldn't even have noticed the difference between the EC7's had you not mention it
 
Mar 13, 2006 at 8:14 PM Post #15 of 31

cferneyh

Head-Fier
Joined
Feb 14, 2006
Posts
93
Likes
10
Quote:

Originally Posted by nsjong
Bluetin is cheap because they sell it below retail price; nothing's fake.

There are 2 fake AT earphones on eBay; the EC7 and the CM7.
While the CM7's are a bit hard to tell if they're fake, there's an easy way to see if the EC7's are fake.

See here?
d5_1_b.jpg

e7.jpg


Well, those are real.

THESE ARE FAKE
Headphones.jpg

If the rubber part overlaps the little bed there, it's FAKE.

Hope this helps.



Are they definitely fake if the rubber part overlaps the little bed? I just received my pair from a guy who I thought was legitimate, yet the pair I received do have the rubber overlapping the little bed.

The pair I did receive came in the retail box and had all of the accessories, so I assumed they were legitimate (mind you, the photo on his ebay auction was a stock photo).
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Top