Audio Technica M50s - Good to start with?
Jan 22, 2012 at 3:10 AM Post #16 of 29
The M50's are very good. There is better, I own them, and I own better. I think they are a very good value, and what they do... they do very well.
Relatively neutral, with a slightly exaggerated mid bass. I find them comfortable. They fold up nicely for travel... and have good isolation.
They can kick, but can also sway...
Much comes down to taste, comfort and style.

Jan 22, 2012 at 3:16 AM Post #17 of 29

Quote:
The M50's are very good. There is better, I own them, and I own better. I think they are a very good value, and what they do... they do very well.
Relatively neutral, with a slightly exaggerated mid bass. I find them comfortable. They fold up nicely for travel... and have good isolation.
They can kick, but can also sway...
Much comes down to taste, comfort and style.

Here's the magical question though 
smile.gif

If you had to throw a pair overboard ~ would you keep the M50 or your Shure 840?

Jan 22, 2012 at 3:34 AM Post #18 of 29
well, they're good to start with I think.  No reason not to have them.  I think it's hard to be dissatisfied with any headphone over $100 (and recommended by people who know audio) if you just want something that makes your music sound nicer.

Jan 22, 2012 at 7:34 AM Post #19 of 29

Quote:

Its ironic or not ?
biggrin.gif

Anyway, thx but there is probably a ton of people on head fi with much more experience than me and with also a much better english, lol. More opinions are always welcome.

you can always try out a wide variety of cans with tour Zune @ FNAC but they don't have the M50. the best they got for demo is the HD25 Adidas Originals. and you can try the sony ZX700(99euro msrp) @ the Paris sony store(if you can). I have the ZX700 and it is quite good. SonoVente in Paris sells the M50(http://www.sonovente.com/). My advice is try before you buy. 

J'habite à Sarcelles, Ile de France, mais mon français est mauvais alors pardonnez-moi de ne pas parler en français;)

Jan 22, 2012 at 7:10 PM Post #21 of 29
M50 is a great value, really durable, comfortable, great isolation, no leak. Sounds good with any genre and style. But looks like you've already decided. In case you change your mind, m50 is the best choice IMO.

Jan 22, 2012 at 10:09 PM Post #22 of 29
Hey mate, I'm in AU too.  I think that buying the M50s at the moment is a bit of a waste since the LE version is more expensive for no apparently good reason.

You should be able to pick up a pair of the originals (when they return in stock) for $169.  http://headphones.com.au/psingle?productID=319

I personally was tossing up between the M50, KRK 8400 and SRH-840.  I listened to them all thoroughly on 2 separate occasions at a store here and much preferred the SRH-840s over the other 2 models.  I highly recommend checking them out at a store and comparing them yourself.  I don't deny that the M50 is build brilliantly because it really is, but I think the sound is far from neutral and unnatural in comparison to the SRH-840s.

If you want a great, neutral, crisp and tight sounding headphone with rich full mids, I highly recommend the SRH-840s.  If you want something a little more HI-Fi and bassy sounding, the M50 would be good.  No offense to anyone, but I hated the KRKs, the mids were just very wrong to my ears.

Also, although the SRH-840s are heavy, I personally find them extremely comfortable and wear them hours at a time.  The earpads are way more comfy and accommodating (to big ears) compared to the M50s.

All the best
zambz

Jan 23, 2012 at 12:36 AM Post #24 of 29
I chose Shure SRH840 over the M50 because of the sweeter midrange. To me they are comfier, too, as the ear pads are larger and fit over my ears better. Swore for the past year that I would get the M50s again if I got another pair, but instead I just got HD25s. Go figure.

Jan 23, 2012 at 2:14 AM Post #26 of 29

Quote:
 Here's the magical question though 
smile.gif

If you had to throw a pair overboard ~ would you keep the M50 or your Shure 840?

I did like the sound of the 840, but they were unwearable. Uncomfortable to painful. Heavy (as someone else said) and little padding on the band made for a lot of pain at the top of my head. They were also a bit big and unwieldy.
The sound of the 840 does emphasize the mids. Typical Shure sound. Very nice and neutral. A real toss-up as far as sound is concerned... as I said before... a matter of taste. Nothing wrong with the 840. I kept the M50. Very comfortable for me.

YMMV.

Jan 23, 2012 at 4:16 AM Post #27 of 29

Quote:
I did like the sound of the 840, but they were unwearable. Uncomfortable to painful. Heavy (as someone else said) and little padding on the band made for a lot of pain at the top of my head. They were also a bit big and unwieldy.
The sound of the 840 does emphasize the mids. Typical Shure sound. Very nice and neutral. A real toss-up as far as sound is concerned... as I said before... a matter of taste. Nothing wrong with the 840. I kept the M50. Very comfortable for me.

YMMV.

Actually, compared to my ADAM A7s, the Shure's actually have a tad less mids than my monitors.  I suspect the reality is that the M50s mids are recessed while the SRH-840's mids are close to flat & accurate.

But as you mentioned, it's definitely personal taste and it is hard to judge without hearing a truly ruler flat speaker or headphone to compare with.

I personally felt like there was a hole in the mids on the M50 when hearing them for the first time, and this was confirmed when I switched to the SRH-840s in the store.  Regarding the comfort, I personally find the SRHs really cozy.  The headband only bothered me for the first day and then I grew really comfortable with it.

Jan 23, 2012 at 9:28 AM Post #28 of 29

Quote:
After doing some research I think I'm going to settle on the Ultrasone HFI-580's. Thanks everyone for the input, I'll post an update once I receive the headphones.

oh that's cool DVDRey likes to recommend those over the M50's. And I also wrote a Review on them. Did you happen to see it or make ur descision on it(the link is in my signature) just wondering is all :/

Jan 23, 2012 at 11:48 AM Post #29 of 29

Quote:

YMMV.

This is why evaluating headphones is so subjective.  I ended up selling my M50s because I never warmed up to their sound (the highs sounded "brittle" to me) and I found them to be very uncomfortable.  The 840s on the other hand sound much better to my ears and are much more comfortable. 

So yeah, YMMV is the operative shorthand here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back