Audio Technica M50 or Sony XB500
Oct 6, 2011 at 1:46 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

babagaga

New Head-Fier
As per title, i'm not sure whether to spend more than a $120-160 on the m50 or around $50 for the XB500.

Tried eq-ing the XB500, but still a bit too bassy at certain parts of certain songs. Auditioned both and found the XB500 bass to be over slightly empowering some songs even though i set a "bass reducer" or "treble booster" eq using my ipod classic. I listen largely to trip hop, downtempo, chillout lounge genre

(if someone has the ipod classic, which setting do i choose to reduce bass + increase treble?)

the m50 gave me sharper and clearer sound on some parts. (are these called the midrange, i'm a newbie in this)  XB500 on treble booster is great too, but i'm not sure if i should give the sharper details of the m50 a miss... or should i just order the XB500 and save $100 odd.

can someone convince me to choose either one?

Oct 6, 2011 at 6:51 PM Post #5 of 16
Superlux HD-668B
Samson SR850 (made by Superlux).

Oct 6, 2011 at 7:01 PM Post #6 of 16
To me, the new Sony ZX700 got them beaten, and sounds far better than the seriously muddy XB500 and cheaper than the M50.

Oct 6, 2011 at 7:31 PM Post #7 of 16

Quote:
As per title, i'm not sure whether to spend more than a $120-160 on the m50 or around $50 for the XB500.

Tried eq-ing the XB500, but still a bit too bassy at certain parts of certain songs. Auditioned both and found the XB500 bass to be over slightly empowering some songs even though i set a "bass reducer" or "treble booster" eq using my ipod classic. I listen largely to trip hop, downtempo, chillout lounge genre

(if someone has the ipod classic, which setting do i choose to reduce bass + increase treble?)

the m50 gave me sharper and clearer sound on some parts. (are these called the midrange, i'm a newbie in this)  XB500 on treble booster is great too, but i'm not sure if i should give the sharper details of the m50 a miss... or should i just order the XB500 and save $100 odd.

can someone convince me to choose either one?

Heya,

Try this one. And add these.

Also, consider these.

In other words, I would not get either of the two you mentioned.

Very best,

Oct 6, 2011 at 7:34 PM Post #8 of 16

Quote:
Find a middle ground like the Ultrasone HFI-580 or 780, you can read lots about them on this forum.

Seconded. Ultrasone models are great for what you listen to. 

Oct 6, 2011 at 10:23 PM Post #9 of 16
I really need to try another pair of Ultrasones - the DJ1 Pro were so colored that it literally put me off the rest of Ultrasone's range. Great for a few tracks but the novelty wore off very quickly, sadly.

Oct 8, 2011 at 4:32 AM Post #11 of 16
i actually quite like the M50 just that the price is a bit too much for me. Was thinking if the amount saved was worth the difference in quality if i get the XB500 (using EQ).

i haven't tried the ultrasone yet, but looking at the price, they seem pretty steep as well. natural sound, hmmm wonder how that sounds like... as for Sony ZX700 there are not enough reviews for me to confidently get it. the DT770 i've tried them, they're not bassy enough. im not a basshead, but i need some bass in the music i listen to. i have no chance to try the superlux series and the reviews are saying it's overhyped due to the lower price, so i'm not really sure

going back to the XB500 (really tempting me cos of the price, comfort and number of reviews in amazon). i'm not sure if the songs i listen are too bassy that's y they sound a little too bassy even when i turn on the treble or lower the bass.

hmmmmmmmmm................
confused_face_2.gif

Oct 8, 2011 at 5:12 AM Post #12 of 16
You need a better EQ than Ipod Classic's EQ if you want a good result out of XB500, that built-in EQ is just horrible, need custom settings.

Oct 8, 2011 at 11:42 AM Post #14 of 16
Comparing apples to oranges.
Depends on what you want from your music.
I found the XB500's fun to listen to for short sessions but overall, I prefer the M50's for a wider variety of music.

Must say that the Ultrasone's do look very attractive though.

Oct 8, 2011 at 12:01 PM Post #15 of 16
 The HFI-580s are great fun, bassy, but not bassy to the point of muddy (muddy as in "XB-500 muddy"). Between the two, definitely go the distance for the M50s, no comparison.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back