Audio-Technica IM50, IM70 Discussion Thread
Oct 15, 2015 at 10:15 AM Post #1,186 of 1,524
Hi all !

I don't know if this is the best place, but I need some advice.

My IM50 are starting to fail (the problem is in the connection of the earphone and the cable, new cable won't resolve) and I would like to buy something better (and more reliable, they started failing within 9 months).

The only thing I ask, is to be available in Europe on a reliable seller (that gives the EU 2 year warranty).

Are the CKX9 comparable, what about Sennheiser CX 5 ?

Thank you !

Oct 15, 2015 at 1:37 PM Post #1,188 of 1,524
Thanks! After posting here, I tried their stock silicone tips (dear lord my fingers hurt putting them in multiple times) and they sound so much clearer now! I do have the 3595 tips so I'll try them now, but are the stock IM50 tips or the 3595 tips better for audio quality? Thanks!

Stock tips are warm and smooth, while 3590 tips bring out the treble and miss but slightly less bassy. I'm not 100% sure though, as one of my housings was damaged and the sub-bass started dying down slightly, but the 3590 tips do the same to just about every IEM I've tried.

Oct 16, 2015 at 3:05 PM Post #1,189 of 1,524
Who are some reputed sellers for US buyers?
accesoryjack's total with shipping equates to ~$66 w/shipping...seems like there are lower prices on ebay
On the otherhand, amazon has some stock($58) through citiwide(but has bad reviews so I'm worried they might be refurbished...)

I'm fine paying extra for the assurance that it is the real product but if there is a cheaper(but reputable) option...

Oct 16, 2015 at 7:36 PM Post #1,190 of 1,524
Im70:

Hey, these remind me of an incredibly bassy Takstar Pro 80:
is

Anyone have both and can compare? Goldenears says that these have solid bass while the the Takstar's is fluid, which is odd since my experience with the Takstar is that it has very solid sounding sub bass.

Oct 17, 2015 at 3:24 PM Post #1,191 of 1,524
I bought IM70 yesterday.I am pissed off  about IM70 right now for a damn good reason. Is anybody using Fiio x5 2nd generation player? I have got good news for you if you are using it already, and bad news for all the guys who have bought IM70.Reply soon.

Oct 18, 2015 at 9:37 AM Post #1,192 of 1,524
  I bought IM70 yesterday.I am pissed off  about IM70 right now for a damn good reason. Is anybody using Fiio x5 2nd generation player? I have got good news for you if you are using it already, and bad news for all the guys who have bought IM70.Reply soon.

Huh? More details, please?

Oct 18, 2015 at 10:08 AM Post #1,193 of 1,524

What's wrong with your IM70? Please tell us.

Oct 18, 2015 at 10:51 AM Post #1,194 of 1,524
Bro,if you are using Fiio X5 2nd generation music player,just plug in Sound Magic ES18 or E10 and compare it with IM70.Even though the highs are a bit rolled off when paired with Fiio X5 in ES18,it beats IM70 black and blue in overall fullness, and I can buy 12 pairs of ES18.With right pairs of ear tips,ES18 sounds magical with Fiio.With some songs it clearly outperformed IM70 with its amazing mids and airy sound spectrum.You gotta understand that I am talking about the price here.I know one needs to have Fiio player to test this but I can't understand the whole hype of dual drivers here,at least with IM70.I bought ath-cks77x brd(better than IM70) and IM70 and I am returning them tomorrow.I tried very hard to like them but ES18 outshone them completely or at least performed on par with them.IM70 sounded crisp and a bit harsh but it clearly lacked mids(the soul of music) when compared with ES18.I AM BEGGING YOU GUYS TO TRY THIS OUT! AGAIN THE PRICE OF THE PRODUCT IS A BIG FACTOR HERE.

You might think I am just joking here but I do know something about sound.
These are the headphones I own right now:
ATH M 50x
V MODA 100
Audeze LCD X
Audeze LCD 2
Sennheiser Momentum 2.0
NOT MUCH BUT STILL SOMETHING.

Oct 18, 2015 at 9:57 PM Post #1,196 of 1,524
I am not saying that it is bad.You just compare it with es18 provided you use a Fiio player.Everything sounded crystal clear in IM70 but when compared with Sound Magic it lacked fullness.Here the comparison is VERY IMPORTANT because of the huge difference in price! Bro,just try it out!

Oct 19, 2015 at 11:19 AM Post #1,197 of 1,524
I am not saying that it is bad.You just compare it with es18 provided you use a Fiio player.Everything sounded crystal clear in IM70 but when compared with Sound Magic it lacked fullness.Here the comparison is VERY IMPORTANT because of the huge difference in price! Bro,just try it out!

You didn't burn your IM70 in yet and are you using stock tips on IM70?

You should judge the sound after at least 50 hours and change the tips.

Oct 19, 2015 at 12:47 PM Post #1,198 of 1,524
  Bro,if you are using Fiio X5 2nd generation music player,just plug in Sound Magic ES18 or E10 and compare it with IM70.Even though the highs are a bit rolled off when paired with Fiio X5 in ES18,it beats IM70 black and blue in overall fullness, and I can buy 12 pairs of ES18.With right pairs of ear tips,ES18 sounds magical with Fiio.With some songs it clearly outperformed IM70 with its amazing mids and airy sound spectrum.You gotta understand that I am talking about the price here.I know one needs to have Fiio player to test this but I can't understand the whole hype of dual drivers here,at least with IM70.I bought ath-cks77x brd(better than IM70) and IM70 and I am returning them tomorrow.I tried very hard to like them but ES18 outshone them completely or at least performed on par with them.IM70 sounded crisp and a bit harsh but it clearly lacked mids(the soul of music) when compared with ES18.I AM BEGGING YOU GUYS TO TRY THIS OUT! AGAIN THE PRICE OF THE PRODUCT IS A BIG FACTOR HERE.

You might think I am just joking here but I do know something about sound.
There are the headphones I own right now:
ATH M 50x
V MODA 100
Audeze LCD X
Audeze LCD 2
Sennheiser Momentum 2.0
NOT MUCH BUT STILL SOMETHING.

I have the CKS77X myself, and I can say, without a doubt, that it is but a pale shadow of the IM70. They have the same general full, rounded tonality, but the CKS77X edges the IM70 in overall bass quantity. Everything else though, goes to the IM70.. in spades. Clarity, detail, treble extension, sparkle, vocal presence, soundstage width/depth, sub-bass extension.

I reckon that you might have gotten a defective unit. There is no way the CKS77X outperforms the IM50, let alone the IM70. I own all 3 pairs, and I have tested them several times as well (via store units), and their comparative performance is just about right - IM70 > IM50 > CKS77X.

Oct 19, 2015 at 4:29 PM Post #1,200 of 1,524
Bro,do you own Fiio x5 2nd generation and ES18? ES 18 costs just $10. If so,I request you to try it by pairing it together.I started commenting on this thread purely because my friends had asked me to plug ES18,as I had one lying around, with Fiio x5 2nd generation.Given the fact that IM70 is 12 times costlier than ES18, when paired with Fiio, it should have effortlessly outperformed ES18 in all departments.But that didn't happen.I made my friends listen to it too.We all agreed unanimously that ES18,considering the price,airy smoothness,overall body,bass,mid-range,and its non-fatiguing sound clearly outshone IM70.There are two important things here:

1. ES18's highs are a bit recessed(in a good way) compared to IM70
2. Fiio player's volume should be turned all the way up to the max when you use ES18 with it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back