Audio-Technica IM50, IM70 Discussion Thread
Apr 27, 2015 at 11:13 PM Post #961 of 1,524
So I've removed the filters (waiting for RE400 filters to come in), done the ring mod, and replaced the stock tips with UE600 ones.

These are, by far, the best ~$50 IEMs I've used. I even like them better than my old GR07BE and SE215, and way better than my VSD3S and KC06.

Apr 28, 2015 at 1:42 AM Post #962 of 1,524
They complement one another quite well but aren't the same sound signature as some others have stated. M50x is a more like AT's slightly v-shaped "house sound" with a fairly up-front presentation. I wouldn't say it's aggressive but some people might find it a bit too overwhelming. The mids are recessed and aren't as "lush" or "organic" as the IM70, but it isn't dry or lacking either.The instrument separation and treble extension is cleaner on the M50x than the IM70 on stock settings, but you can get a bit more treble extension with filter mods and tip rolling.

Awesome, thanks for the info. So you would recommend the ath-m50x?

Apr 28, 2015 at 4:45 AM Post #963 of 1,524
Awesome, thanks for the info. So you would recommend the ath-m50x?

It's the only "serious" over-ear headphone I have so far, but for its durability and versatility I would definitely recommend it.

I wonder how the MSR7 compares to the IM70. It's more mid-forward and brighter than the M50x and just a bit light on the bass. I tried the MSR7 briefly at Audio-Technica's showroom. If I recall they were midforward and

Apr 28, 2015 at 9:50 AM Post #964 of 1,524

I think the im70s are just about average in terms of isolation, not as good as my vsd3s or vsd5, but passable for busing when i was using it
did you find it helps with the isolation? 

Yes indeed

Apr 28, 2015 at 3:18 PM Post #965 of 1,524
  Hey guys,
So I bought a pair of IM70 in December and I am loving them, but I want to buy some over the head headphones. I was looking at the ath-m50x and was wondering if anyone has both or has tried both and could tell me if I would like the ath-m50x given that I greatly enjoy the IM70. I am well aware that there are better options, but the ath-m50x's portability and durability are what attract me to it. 

Thank You.

Don't purchase just yet.
Why? The IM50 with some texture from the IM02 is what fits the M50, what do I mean?
I regard the IM02 of being a serious Detail Freak IEM, and carrying over Muddy but Warm Bass.
The M50 in general is a more kind to feel slightly Warm Sounding headphone, and I'd like to ask you to try it first before you buy it.
They're pretty popular, but get your opinion first for them.

Apr 28, 2015 at 3:21 PM Post #966 of 1,524
I now find that when listening to the IM70 that the bass is quite excessive and extends a bit far. I might have been spoiled a bit by the UM Merlin, which has been my main IEM for about a month now. Of course there are other issues when comparing with a CIEM 10× the price, but this one is the one that stood out the most to me. As certain occassions warrant the use of a universal IEM - I still would like to be able to enjoy the IM70, but I'm not sure if I'm EQing properly. (Just to get a better bass response by the way!)

31 Hz - 0 dB
62 Hz  -6 dB
125 Hz -6 dB
250 Hz -6 dB
500 Hz -3 dB

The rest is flat; any comments and/or suggestions to improve?

Apr 29, 2015 at 3:48 PM Post #967 of 1,524
So I've removed the filters (waiting for RE400 filters to come in), done the ring mod, and replaced the stock tips with UE600 ones.

These are, by far, the best ~$50 IEMs I've used. I even like them better than my old GR07BE and SE215, and way better than my VSD3S and KC06.
Do re400 filters fit the im50? Also, what is the ring mod?

Apr 30, 2015 at 7:51 AM Post #968 of 1,524
Do re400 filters fit the im50? Also, what is the ring mod?

They're very slightly larger, but you can press the adhesive right along the internal edges.

The ring mod is just cutting the base off unused tips to act as a stopper for the tips you're using. Lets you stick them further in.

(this was before the RE400 filters came in)

Apr 30, 2015 at 8:19 AM Post #969 of 1,524
Oh, I'm still missing my IM50 after buying Tenore!  I am gonna buy it again very soon. 

Apr 30, 2015 at 1:01 PM Post #970 of 1,524
  Oh, I'm still missing my IM50 after buying Tenore!  I am gonna buy it again very soon. 

Yeah, it's a different sound. They complement each other pretty well, and having both along with you gives you an opportunity to change sound signatures if you so prefer.

Just don't perform surgery on them again, kay? 
wink.gif

Apr 30, 2015 at 2:10 PM Post #971 of 1,524

Yeah, it's a different sound. They complement each other pretty well, and having both along with you gives you an opportunity to change sound signatures if you so prefer.

Just don't perform surgery on them again, kay? 
wink.gif

Sure, I won't. 
biggrin.gif

May 12, 2015 at 5:32 PM Post #972 of 1,524
My experience with the IM50s seems to go against the populist grain a bit relative to sibilance.  I have heard nasty seemingly out of nowhere sibilant peaks somewhere between 4-8k on very modestly dynamic portions of a number of tracks.  Validated on two systems, female vocals like Fiona Apple which generally do not exhibit this on my aging VSD1S cause some nasty thin sibilant distortion.  Also on some cymbals and other percussion a sharp sibilant distorted peak in the lower treble can be heard.

I am chalking it up to a bad pair.  Off to try and find another under $60 candidate.

It seems funny that the normally reserved treble nature of these was so marred by this anomaly.  And I was really enjoying the overall signature for the money.  Anyone else with treble peak sensitivity hear similar?

May 13, 2015 at 4:48 AM Post #973 of 1,524
  My experience with the IM50s seems to go against the populist grain a bit relative to sibilance.  I have heard nasty seemingly out of nowhere sibilant peaks somewhere between 4-8k on very modestly dynamic portions of a number of tracks.  Validated on two systems, female vocals like Fiona Apple which generally do not exhibit this on my aging VSD1S cause some nasty thin sibilant distortion.  Also on some cymbals and other percussion a sharp sibilant distorted peak in the lower treble can be heard.

I am chalking it up to a bad pair.  Off to try and find another under $60 candidate.

It seems funny that the normally reserved treble nature of these was so marred by this anomaly.  And I was really enjoying the overall signature for the money.  Anyone else with treble peak sensitivity hear similar?

Are you sure you are getting a good seal? Have you tried all the tips? IM50 shouldn't have harsh highs or any major peaks on 4-8k range as far as I know. I couldn't detect any sibilance on my pair. Maybe you got a defective pair. 

May 13, 2015 at 11:39 AM Post #974 of 1,524

I've run my IM50 through a host of songs/tracks, and I've never once heard a sibilant/harsh peak. Treble is smooth and well controlled on them. I second ozkan's opinion - you may have a defective pair; or, you may want to tip roll to get a better fit to see if the problem is resolved. Good luck!

May 13, 2015 at 2:55 PM Post #975 of 1,524
Thanks for the input guys.  Yes, I am leaning more to a defective pair rather than the inherent sound signature of this iem.  Actually they are off to the reseller and I have my refund while in transit.

I do not think I will be trying a second pair as purchasing from Japan resellers and experiencing a future problem may prove more costly next time.  As for tip rolling, I figure if a manufacturer cannot supply tips that sound really good with their iems they do not get to stay in this house.  I am sure the tips were NOT the issue in this case, a good seal was obtained and I generally like silicone tips.  

Now the RHA-750s are another story.  How they can supply those frosted white tips, which even when you get them to seal and get no bass, is beyond me.  I have neither the time or inclination to source an aftermarket tip to make an iem sound like it should straight from the factory.  

Any ideas what to try next with same or similar sound and price?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back