Audio-Technica IM50, IM70 Discussion Thread
Sep 23, 2014 at 3:02 AM Post #391 of 1,524
  THANKS!!! I think I'm sold with the IM70. (http://www.head-fi.org/t/692770/audio-technica-ath-im70-a-bold-new-direction/165) 

Maybe I'll just get the IM70, and wait for the RHA t10. :p

I'll be damned. My apology to you. I made a wrong recollection as if MA750 is one of AT models. I only realized it after you mentioned RHA T10.

Sep 23, 2014 at 3:41 AM Post #393 of 1,524
  Ok, I've swapped out the comply for a wide bore tip from my 500's. The fit is much better and slot straight in to the ear.

How are you finding the mids on these Rontant? I find they are still quite forward and detailed, not sure yet if they work with some music genres like EDM with the treble being less prominent?!

Perhaps the tips have a lot to do with the sound signature, we'll see.

Tips do change the sound but don't expect a huge difference. If you want mid and treble come more alive, you should better remove the filters. The bass also will be faster without filters. I am using mine for about 3 months and I had no problems yet. 

Sep 25, 2014 at 11:00 PM Post #395 of 1,524
Just got these earlier today (IM50).

Absolutely brilliant! The bass is a tad loose but at lower volume levels (which is what I listen to anyway due to minor tinnitus) actually the bass isn't as prominent and there's a lot of detail remaining in the mids and treble. Soundstage, sense of scale, and prat are way better than the HF5 which this is replacing.

Lovely sound, lovely build, lovely price.

Sep 26, 2014 at 4:17 AM Post #397 of 1,524
Has anyone managed to compare them to the Vsonic VSD3/S yet?

I tried them, didn't liked them that much, though the upper end of the spectrum was better than the IM70's, and the fit was a lot better. Despite that, i still kept my IM70's over the VSD3 and the VSD3S (Though a friend of mine switched from his IM50's to the VSD3S).

Sep 29, 2014 at 8:45 PM Post #398 of 1,524
Tips do change the sound but don't expect a huge difference. If you want mid and treble come more alive, you should better remove the filters. The bass also will be faster without filters. I am using mine for about 3 months and I had no problems yet. 

I'm really happy to inform that this little mod is just brilhant!!!
I had already enjoyed the im50 sound sig, but felt the bass a bit loose sometimes and the mids where somewhat "hold back" by something.

Then I remove the filter with a needle and.... WOW!!!!

Every single aspect just got better!! I really enjoy how it sounds now!!!
Even the instrument separation and bass tightness improved substantially.

I have a vsd3s too, and prefere the im50 sound sig by miles!
However, the fit, size, confort and isolation from vsd3s are still the best.

Thanks for the tip ozkan!!!

Sep 30, 2014 at 5:14 AM Post #399 of 1,524
I'm really happy to inform that this little mod is just brilhant!!!
I had already enjoyed the im50 sound sig, but felt the bass a bit loose sometimes and the mids where somewhat "hold back" by something.

Then I remove the filter with a needle and.... WOW!!!!

Every single aspect just got better!! I really enjoy how it sounds now!!!
Even the instrument separation and bass tightness improved substantially.

I have a vsd3s too, and prefere the im50 sound sig by miles!
However, the fit, size, confort and isolation from vsd3s are still the best.

Thanks for the tip ozkan!!!

You're welcome @joaoalbertofn. I'm glad that you liked it. 
beerchug.gif

Sep 30, 2014 at 3:12 PM Post #401 of 1,524
  Oh, you're supposed to remove the filter?
frown.gif
 But I like to keep my earphones clean...

Don't worry! I also like my iems clean and I'm using mine without filters for about 3 months and put them in my bag when I'm not listening to them. They are still  like brand new. I guess the driver is not just under the nozzle maybe angled near the nozzle I'm not sure. I couldn't see the driver when I shined my flashlight at the nozzle.

Or you can use RE400 filters which is slightly thinner than the original filters. IMHO the original filters muddies the sound compared to RE400 filters or unfiltered one. You can at least give a chance and try. Nothing to loose I think. 
wink.gif

To give you an idea, I listened to my friend's Havi B3 Pro 1 today and I preffered IM50s. Havi B3 is more balanced but the vocal coherency was better on unfiltered IM50. Just my two cents..

Oct 1, 2014 at 12:37 AM Post #402 of 1,524
just got my pair of IM50s yesterday, and I couldn't be happier. nothing describes this pair better than "fun" and "very enjoyable". if you listen to a lot of EDM, hip-hop, R & B, rock, and/or alternative... give these a try. Krewella's "Live for the Night", Calvin Harris' "Summer", and Cash Cash's "Take Me Home" never sounded SOOO tiptoe- and headbang- inducing before.

a few things I learned, having listened to them for a few hours now:
  1. iTunes won't do them justice. at least use foobar2000!
  2. fitment was, as some posters have mentioned, quite finicky. all three eartips (minus the Comply's, which I didn't have the heart to open - yet) gave no proper seal; the largest ones somewhat sealed although I couldn't move around so much, else risking breaking the seal. I then cut a piece of tubing from the smallest eartip to use as a spacer, essentially to bring the eartips further forward; per ozkan's advice somewhere earlier in this thread. now they fit and seal so much better with the medium eartips.

Oct 3, 2014 at 6:50 PM Post #403 of 1,524
I tried some foam tips that were included with the UE900s that came in the mail today (only has a gazillion(!) tips). They are much softer and denser than Comply tips, but they are compatible with the IM70s. They don't extend as far from the nozzle as the Comply tips and therefore require a deeper insertion. I haven't noticed any effects on SQ and sound stage.  They're better in terms of comfort than the Comply ones in my opinion and time has yet to tell, but they also seem to be far more durable... I don't know if they're sold separately anywhere, but they seem like a good choice for those that like wearing comfort (and happen to have UE900s).

Oct 3, 2014 at 7:49 PM Post #404 of 1,524
Hey guys I have a question. I'm coming from the Sennheiser CX500, will the IM50 be a huge upgrade from them? The only thing that bothers me ordering the IM50 shipping them back for warranty all the way to Australia. Also I will be using the IM50 with the JDS Labs C5 and iPod Classic 7th Generation, will I hear an improvement with this setup? I like Hip-Hop, R&B, Jazz, Soul, Funk, Alternative, Rock, indie and House. Also, are these better than the Shure SE215? How do they fair against them?

Oct 3, 2014 at 9:06 PM Post #405 of 1,524
Hey guys I have a question. I'm coming from the Sennheiser CX500, will the IM50 be a huge upgrade from them? The only thing that bothers me ordering the IM50 shipping them back for warranty all the way to Australia. Also I will be using the IM50 with the JDS Labs C5 and iPod Classic 7th Generation, will I hear an improvement with this setup? I like Hip-Hop, R&B, Jazz, Soul, Funk, Alternative, Rock, indie and House. Also, are these better than the Shure SE215? How do they fair against them?

If you don't mind a mid-centic sound with a great vocal clarity which suits your genres I think, IM50 are better than SE215 and definetely an upgrade from CX500.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back