Audio-Technica IM50, IM70 Discussion Thread
Sep 15, 2014 at 7:50 AM Post #376 of 1,524
  Ouch!  See if you can get it cheap here http://www.aliexpress.com/item/se215-se315-se535-Earphone-upgrade-cable-silver-plated-OFC/1845004817.html
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/im50-plug-im01-im02-im03-im04-im50-im70-Upgrade-cord/1977208263.html
http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/im50-headset-wired-remote-upgrade-cable-installation/1266300_2015381989.html

Thanks for the advice, but it's not the cable that's broken; it's the IEM side which has broken pins. It'll be ok, I'll just have to wait a bit for shipping and stuff to happen. In the mean time I'm stuck with my CKP200 Pro spare ones.

Sep 17, 2014 at 10:29 PM Post #377 of 1,524
Well, they've arrived (very fast delivery!).
beerchug.gif

Nice package!

IM70's next to my CKM500's and my handsome MS2's. :)

A closer inspection of the two iem's.

Initial impression, not use to the 'around the ear cable' but fits fine with stock tips.

Just about to burn them in but will give a quick first impression (Stock):-

- Clear, Full, balanced sound.
- Bass and mid's are on par with each other and the treble is precise without simbilance.
- Isolation is great.
- Once fitted properly, very comfortable.
- Cable is thicker than the 500's and feels sturdier.
-Very likable sound straight out of the box.

Note: Bass is not as exaggerated as the 500's but is definitely present!

Ok, back to burning in and then some serious listening.

Peace.

Sep 19, 2014 at 9:52 PM Post #379 of 1,524
After 24 hours of burn-in: Sound -

- Vail has lifted.
- Soundstage is very elusive, you can't see the ends of the stage but it's there. Every track is treated differently and can go from narrow to wide.
- High's went from harsh/strident to dry with a hint of sparkle. Not overly done on the Im70's very neutral.
- Bass is as others have describe, powerful, impactful, textured, presence. It sits nicely behind the mid's, adding weight and timbre to the music.
- Mid's have developed nicely but I feel they're still coming out, very forward and clear. I can compare these to my Grado's. Vocals presented front and center with clarity.
- I can hear a difference in bitrate (mp3 vs flac), micro detail surpasses the 500's by large percentage.
- Overall a very natural sounding iem, quite brilliant really!

Other's mention these are great from acoustics, I can concur! They sound very competent with acoustic music. Listened to 'Eric Clapton Unplug' and was a joy to listen to! They bite hard with heavy metal but could be due to burn-in, trance/electronica/chillstep/glitch are perfectly presented just as well as the 500's but you'll be surprised by the extra detail and separation you'll hear and not muddy like the 500's. (The 500's are no-way a bad iem, just comparing the 500's to the Im70!)

I must mention, the detail on these iem's are definitely a few notches up from the CKM 500's. However, if you are looking to upgrade from the 500's, I'm not sure if you'll find the sound signature to be similar to your much loved 500's. These are definitely more refined to a point that I could see people using these more for critical listening but they are still a fun iem, just more grown up!

I use these primarily at my desktop with an amp, they definitely don't need an amp and go very loud with one. I can hardly put the volume knob up past 8 o'clock before becoming to loud. Which leads me to volume control, I found the best sound comes when these gents are at a relaxed and comfortable volume.

I found turning up the volume only makes them scream and shout at you!  Picture a gentlemen's club and all the members are in a hall and they're all talking between one another at a nice relaxed volume. You can hear each conversation very clearly from end to end. But if the member's start to yell and shout at each other, all you will get is a wall of sound that you can't make anything out. Long story short, less volume is more on these!

I'm getting use to putting these on and finding the comfort very good, I can wear these much longer than the 500's and the over ear loop thingy sits better. I just wish the cable was a foot longer but for portability I can see why they are a bit shorter. Hardly any micro-phonics from the cable whatsoever, which the 500's were terrible for.

For the time being, I'll be using the comply tips as I'm satisfied with the comfort and sound for the time being. However I am looking at grabbing the JVC spiral tips soon.

A big 'Thank you' goes to the OP for showing us the way, these are definitely keepers and joining the 'Hall of Daily-use'.

Sep 19, 2014 at 10:54 PM Post #380 of 1,524
  I am an idiot. Broke the pins on one side of my IM70s when removing the cable and putting it back in.
triportsad.gif

Probably am going to have to buy new ones unless AccessoryJack is willing to send me new ones, which judging from the comments on the site's customer service is unlikely...

had the same problem, one side completely not working :/

Sep 20, 2014 at 12:42 AM Post #381 of 1,524
After 24 hours of burn-in: Sound -

Other's mention these are great from acoustics, I can concur! They sound very competent with acoustic music. Listened to 'Eric Clapton Unplug' and was a joy to listen to!

+1

Welcome to the im70 family! Very nice impression you wrote!

Sep 20, 2014 at 6:09 AM Post #382 of 1,524
+1

Welcome to the im70 family! Very nice impression you wrote!

Thanks Rontant, these are some special iem's.

Getting better with each use.

What tips are you using with these at the moment?

Sep 21, 2014 at 1:45 AM Post #384 of 1,524
Ok, I've swapped out the comply for a wide bore tip from my 500's. The fit is much better and slot straight in to the ear.

How are you finding the mids on these Rontant? I find they are still quite forward and detailed, not sure yet if they work with some music genres like EDM with the treble being less prominent?!

Perhaps the tips have a lot to do with the sound signature, we'll see.

Sep 21, 2014 at 2:10 AM Post #385 of 1,524
  Ok, I've swapped out the comply for a wide bore tip from my 500's. The fit is much better and slot straight in to the ear.

How are you finding the mids on these Rontant? I find they are still quite forward and detailed, not sure yet if they work with some music genres like EDM with the treble being less prominent?!

Perhaps the tips have a lot to do with the sound signature, we'll see.

Yes, continue the tip-rolling until you find the best one matching your ears. I can't stress enough how important tips are. They can really make or break any IEM. 

The forward mids are great for vocals. They are great also for movies because conversations sound clear. Snare drums sound awesome too. I don't listen much to EDM but I guess it's hard to find any IEM that suit all genres. That's why we have multiple IEMs in our collection.  :)

Sep 23, 2014 at 1:05 AM Post #387 of 1,524
  IM70 vs IM50 vs RHA MA750, anyone?

IMHO, MA750 is a bit dated compared to IM70 & IM50 which have dual symphonic drivers but others may disagree.  IM50 is cheaper and has more bass. IM70 is more refined and tighter bass. So it boils down to your choice of music. If you like vocals, accoustic musics, classicals, go for IM70. 

Sep 23, 2014 at 1:34 AM Post #388 of 1,524

IMHO, MA750 is a bit dated compared to IM70 & IM50 which have dual symphonic drivers but others may disagree.  IM50 is cheaper and has more bass. IM70 is more refined and tighter bass. So it boils down to your choice of music. If you like vocals, accoustic musics, classicals, go for IM70. 

Ohhh that is interesting. Actually, I'm torn between the IM70, and the MA750. The IM50 is not yet available here in the Philippines, only the other 2. I've tried the IM70, and really enjoyed it, but I can't find any demo unit for the MA750, and I've read nothing but amazing things about them. I'm not really asking for any buying advice, just your thoughts on them is enough for me to decide. :p

Sep 23, 2014 at 2:23 AM Post #389 of 1,524
  Ohhh that is interesting. Actually, I'm torn between the IM70, and the MA750. The IM50 is not yet available here in the Philippines, only the other 2. I've tried the IM70, and really enjoyed it, but I can't find any demo unit for the MA750, and I've read nothing but amazing things about them. I'm not really asking for any buying advice, just your thoughts on them is enough for me to decide. :p

Some additional thoughts for you to consider:

IM70 also has a very good 3D like sound-stage.  

MA750 is no longer listed in Audio Technica website. The shop I bought my IM70 carries many models of AT but MA750 wasn't there, so are  you sure you still want to go for MA750? *wink* wink* :wink:

Update:
I'll be damned. My apology to you. I made a wrong recollection as if MA750 is one of AT models. 

Sep 23, 2014 at 2:47 AM Post #390 of 1,524

Some additional thoughts for you to consider:

IM70 also has a very good 3D like sound-stage.  

MA750 is no longer listed in Audio Technica website. The shop I bought my IM70 carries many models of AT but MA750 wasn't there, so are  you sure you still want to go for MA750? *wink* wink* :wink:

THANKS!!! I think I'm sold with the IM70. (http://www.head-fi.org/t/692770/audio-technica-ath-im70-a-bold-new-direction/165) 

Maybe I'll just get the IM70, and wait for the RHA t10. :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back