Audio-Technica IM50, IM70 Discussion Thread
Aug 23, 2014 at 1:44 PM Post #346 of 1,524
For those people who have the IM70, can you guys please help me do a little experiment? Is the cable supposed to able to wiggle up and down? Because mine can and I just want to make sure there's no damage done. 

Aug 24, 2014 at 6:01 AM Post #347 of 1,524
  For those people who have the IM70, can you guys please help me do a little experiment? Is the cable supposed to able to wiggle up and down? Because mine can and I just want to make sure there's no damage done. 

can you explain which part of the cable you are talking about? or a picture

Aug 24, 2014 at 8:21 AM Post #349 of 1,524
  Sorry my bad, I didn't explain it well enough, where I meant was where the cable connects to the driver unit itself. Is that connection supposed to be able to wiggle up and down? 

Does this loose connector affects the sound, cutting off as you move the cable?  Either way, ATH two-pin keyed connector is among the sturdiest I have seen, and it should be sturdy without any wiggling (I have IM02 and IM50 for the reference).  Sounds like something is wrong with your IM70, so I would request a replacement under warranty.

Aug 24, 2014 at 8:23 AM Post #350 of 1,524
No mine doesn't move at all ... neither the connector or the cable.

Aug 24, 2014 at 7:30 PM Post #353 of 1,524
  I see, nothing really happens, no sound is cutting out or anything, I probably will get a warranty replacement, thanks guys!

if you are referring to when holding the memory wire portion and rocking it, yet there is a little movement rocking at between my im70 and the cable.both left and right. but sound not affected at all.

Sep 8, 2014 at 9:31 PM Post #356 of 1,524
Quote:
  Yeah sure.

The CKS77x is a bass monster, there's no other way to put it. Normally that would be something I don't really enjoy, but the CKS have really upfront mids as well which makes them sound a lot more balanced than your usual basshead iem's. Vocals are upfront along with the bass which is really nice, and the air chambers give them a pretty spacious sound as well. I would only recommend these to people who really love big bass, because they are fun as hell to listen to but can get fatiguing after a while.

The CKN70 is the oldest of the three, which is weird because they aren't even a year old yet. First things first, the cable sucks. Some people have said they don't have a problem with it but for the amount they cost, the cable should be better. Soundwise, I love these. They are pretty bright-sounding (verging on harsh), and can be aggressive with some recordings. That aspect is balanced out by the slight warmth in the mids and the VERY tight bass. I would only recommend these to people who don't mind aggressive treble. They are super somfortable though. 

The new kid, the IM50, is a completely different signature once again. These are very mid-centric, but not at the expense of the other frequencies. Really balanced overall and a great all-rounder, so I would recommend these to anyone. 

As for how they compare to each other, it's sort of like apples and oranges because they are all so different. For bassheads, the CKS77x is amazing. For those who want aggression and precision, the CKN70 is great, and for those who want lushness and balance, the IM50 is great too. 

I would say the IM50 is be the best out of the three, purely because they are suited to pretty much every type of music, whereas the other two depend on genre a bit more. However, I think the CKN70 has the upper hand in the bass department. Those micro-drivers put out seriously tight bass, and in comparison the IM50's bass sounds slightly slow. 

It really depends on your preferred sound sig, which is why I love AT, because they cater for everyone's preferences. 

If there are any other aspects you'd like me to compare, just let me know. 

^This is very helpful thanks.

I also enjoy heavy bass. I listen to a lot of EDM (Mostly Trap and future beats) but I do listen equally as much to R&B and Hiphop... I'm a bit torn between getting the IM50s which have been given such rave reviews and the CKS99 which apparently have better bass output... There are not many reviews out there for the CKS99 but some say it's slightly more improved over the CKS77....

I also need a good pair for the gym and comfortable enough to sit in my ears for hours without fatigue. Also I need the bass to be controlled enough to not cause tinnitus (which has happened to me after trying on a pair of Klipsh headphones).

Vocal clarity is also important but I put priority over excellent bass output.

What would you suggest?

Ive never owned a pair of ATs, I've had many pairs of Bose headphones and I'm looking to switch brands.

Sep 9, 2014 at 2:10 AM Post #357 of 1,524
  Quote:

^This is very helpful thanks.

I also enjoy heavy bass. I listen to a lot of EDM (Mostly Trap and future beats) but I do listen equally as much to R&B and Hiphop... I'm a bit torn between getting the IM50s which have been given such rave reviews and the CKS99 which apparently have better bass output... There are not many reviews out there for the CKS99 but some say it's slightly more improved over the CKS77....

I also need a good pair for the gym and comfortable enough to sit in my ears for hours without fatigue. Also I need the bass to be controlled enough to not cause tinnitus (which has happened to me after trying on a pair of Klipsh headphones).

Vocal clarity is also important but I put priority over excellent bass output.

What would you suggest?

Ive never owned a pair of ATs, I've had many pairs of Bose headphones and I'm looking to switch brands.

I can't speak for the CKS99, but if bass is the most important thing, I would go for those. The CKS77X has really impressive bass so I'm sure the CKS99 will too. The cable is slightly microphonic though so I don't know if they'd be too good for the gym. The build quality is also really great. 

The IM50 stay in the ear pretty well and there are no microphonics because they are over the ear. They don't have as much bass as the CKS's, but they still have plenty and with good impact. The mids are beautiful on these as well. Vocals, especially female vocals, are stunning. The weak point is the treble, which is only slightly soft, but probably wouldn't bother you with your music choices.

I think either one would be good for you considering the genres you mentioned, you just have to decide whether you want bigger bass or better mids. (Again I can't speak for the CKS99 I'm only going by what I own.)  

Sep 9, 2014 at 5:52 AM Post #358 of 1,524
I just got the V-moda m80s and I got to say, the IM50s keep up for the most part. The only notable difference is the m80s has a bigger stage, more subdued mids, more balanced, and more natural sounding overall with good separation. The IM50s sound more closed with the mids being more prominent and upfront. The separation is again inferior and the has less timbre in instruments. They share similarities in treble with both taking a step in the background while the mids take the stage with the bass complimenting it. Very impressive considering that the m80s started at $300 vs $60-70. Makes you realize how much tech can advance in a mere 2-3 years.

Sep 9, 2014 at 9:19 AM Post #360 of 1,524
Thanks Sacrifice13
smily_headphones1.gif
How about comfort levels for the cks77 vs im50? Or are they anout the same?

About the same, depends on whether you prefer over-ear or not. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back