Audio-Technica IM50, IM70 Discussion Thread
Mar 7, 2014 at 9:39 AM Post #136 of 1,524
would prefer to see a quad symphonic dynamic driver. 2x2 arrangement. High/mid and low/sub bass

something different. Market is filled w amerature n dynamic bass combination

4 dynamic drivers will affect the size of these headphones; can you imagine how big it's going to be?

Mar 7, 2014 at 9:47 AM Post #137 of 1,524

4 dynamic drivers will affect the size of these headphones; can you imagine how big it's going to be?

No problem!

ugly-people-with-big-ears-2-240x300.jpg
 *Edit: Funny, where's the picture?

Mar 10, 2014 at 4:18 PM Post #140 of 1,524
Argggghh. I ordered my IM50s from Accessory Jack, but they aren't in stock for another 1-2 weeks. Add another 1-2 weeks shipping and that's a long time. Also in 3 weeks time I'm going on a 3 week long trip, so that's six weeks before I get my hands on them.

Mar 13, 2014 at 6:38 AM Post #141 of 1,524
Argggghh. I ordered my IM50s from Accessory Jack, but they aren't in stock for another 1-2 weeks. Add another 1-2 weeks shipping and that's a long time. Also in 3 weeks time I'm going on a 3 week long trip, so that's six weeks before I get my hands on them.

should have pm me..I can help u get ine brand new for sgd88...10 days later u can be enjoying it already. ..

Mar 13, 2014 at 2:01 PM Post #142 of 1,524
I've ordered them now and I can't really be bothered to email them, get the order cancelled and refunded and buy them from somewhere else. I don't mind waiting, maybe they might even come before I leave, we'll see.

Mar 14, 2014 at 10:49 AM Post #143 of 1,524
I really like the IM50, glad I got rid of the TripleFi and made a little profit from it.  I like the TripleFi10 but it doesn't clip onto my ear that well despite trying all different plugs I can't get it not fall out.  So far the IM50s with the Comply foam plugs are doing it's job of staying put.  

As for sound, for about 1/2 the price of the TripleFi which I only paid $90 you can't really go wrong.  The audio capabilities of the IM50 is about 85% of the TripleFi with just a dual armature design.  

For bass I like the IM50s warmer bass much better than the sharper and punchier sound in the TripleFi.  The sound stage is not as wide as the TripleFi which is fine for my music genre preferences.

IM50 covers 90% of the music genres that I listen while the TripleFi maybe more versatile it doesn't do any music genre particularly better than the IM50.

- For rock, the TripleFi is clearer at the vocals when there's high acoustic guitars than the IM50.  Most folks won't notice it unless you listen to some high quality live rock recordings.

- For dance and electronics, the IM50 is the winner much warmer beats where the TripleFi beats tend to be too punchy and cancels out electronic recycled vocals.

- For HipHop and R&B, IM50 wins by a bigger margin.  Good separation of heavy bass and ranged vocals make this a really good IEM for this type of music.

- Pop music, TripleFi wins.  Clarity, wider Freq. range some songs still only sounds amazing with the TripleFi especially Katy Perry songs where I'm generally not impressed with her vocals but TripleFi makes her sound much better.
- Classic music, TripleFi.  Soundstage greatness wins.

Overall the IM50 is a great value for me, easily beats many IEMs that cost $50-200.  Embarrasses the Westones UM1,UM2s.

Mar 14, 2014 at 11:23 AM Post #144 of 1,524
I really like the IM50, glad I got rid of the TripleFi and made a little profit from it.  I like the TripleFi10 but it doesn't clip onto my ear that well despite trying all different plugs I can't get it not fall out.  So far the IM50s with the Comply foam plugs are doing it's job of staying put.  

As for sound, for about 1/2 the price of the TripleFi which I only paid $90 you can't really go wrong.  The audio capabilities of the IM50 is about 85% of the TripleFi with just a dual armature design.

For bass I like the IM50s warmer bass much better than the sharper and punchier sound in the TripleFi.  The sound stage is not as wide as the TripleFi which is fine for my music genre preferences.

IM50 covers 90% of the music genres that I listen while the TripleFi maybe more versatile it doesn't do any music genre particularly better than the IM50.

- For rock, the TripleFi is clearer at the vocals when there's high acoustic guitars than the IM50.  Most folks won't notice it unless you listen to some high quality live rock recordings.

- For dance and electronics, the IM50 is the winner much warmer beats where the TripleFi beats tend to be too punchy and cancels out electronic recycled vocals.

- For HipHop and R&B, IM50 wins by a bigger margin.  Good separation of heavy bass and ranged vocals make this a really good IEM for this type of music.

- Pop music, TripleFi wins.  Clarity, wider Freq. range some songs still only sounds amazing with the TripleFi especially Katy Perry songs where I'm generally not impressed with her vocals but TripleFi makes her sound much better.

Overall the IM50 is a great value for me, easily beats many IEMs that cost $50-200.  Embarrasses the Westones UM1,UM2s.

Nice impressions! :) I supposed it's a dual symphonic design rather than dual armature. They houses dual dynamic drivers instead of BAs. :)

Mar 15, 2014 at 2:34 PM Post #145 of 1,524

I have the triple  fi too and considering its like 5yrs old. it is still pretty capable. however, I have since retire them after getting the im70. (interestingly my wife finds the im70 unbearable to listen too and loves  the triplefi which I given to her. she prefers the clarity of it and finds bass irritating. am now a dynamic earphone fan and waiting to get my hands on the jvc 850 after the im70....which is just unbelievable considering its price.

when it comes to fit, I find the triple fi fits better, the im70 since to always feel loose

Mar 18, 2014 at 8:21 PM Post #146 of 1,524
do you use the small pouch that comes with the earphone? i dont wanna damage the cable by folding it tightly. However i cant think of any other way to fit the earphone into that small pouch lol

Mar 23, 2014 at 3:04 PM Post #148 of 1,524
  do you use the small pouch that comes with the earphone? i dont wanna damage the cable by folding it tightly. However i cant think of any other way to fit the earphone into that small pouch lol

I don't have IM50/70, have IM02/03 which should have the same cable, and IM0x series comes with a hard shell rectangular case.  I wouldn't use a small pouch for a reason of damaging cable/headphones and also constant re-adjustment of flex wire loop.  Look up on amazon or ebay for rectangular headphone cases, something with dimensions of at least 4" by 2.5".  Something like this should fit it perfectly: http://www.amazon.com/Case-Star-Rectangle-Bluetooth-Enclosure/dp/B00GOLVYWM/

Mar 23, 2014 at 8:24 PM Post #149 of 1,524
looked through this thread but still somewhat confused?

can a kind soul please help differentiate the IM50 and 70?

for me I listen to EDM and country so :/

thanks in advance :D

Both IM50&IM70 sound very similar. Put it simply, they share more similarities rather than differences. Based on information provided by Audio Technica the difference lies in the material of the housing thats all.

IM50 places emphasis on the sub bass region with really good rumble. Used with rockbox, the impact can be phenomenon. The low region is definitely a strong point in their book.

Mids are clear cut and slightly forwarding. Very nice and lush vocals. Details and soundstage really good as well.

Highs are done nicely. Just not as prominent as both lows and mids.

I suppose it will suit EDM well. :)

Mar 23, 2014 at 10:33 PM Post #150 of 1,524
  looked through this thread but still somewhat confused?

can a kind soul please help differentiate the IM50 and 70?

for me I listen to EDM and country so :/

thanks in advance :D

Basically, the IM50 has around 60 or 70% of the sound of the IM70. The main difference is the refinement, the IM70 sounds more polished, has a little more of everything that the IM50 has. The only thing that's different is the bass, while i prefer the IM70 in that aspect too, the 50 does have a lot more bass than the 70. Doesn't sound bad, or boomy either, sounds almost as "right" as the IM70. 

I had both at one point, and the differences were barely noticeable, but me and my GF prefered the IM70 over the 50. I bought another 50 though, because even if i didn't chose it over the IM70, i still liked it a lot :p!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back