Audio-Technica IM50, IM70 Discussion Thread
Jan 24, 2014 at 1:20 PM Post #36 of 1,524
  I'm really enjoying the IM50! Along with the CKN70 and CKS77X I have my own little AT in-ear trifecta.

Glad you liked them. Can you make a little comparison if you don't mind? Thanks.

Jan 24, 2014 at 7:39 PM Post #37 of 1,524
  Glad you liked them. Can you make a little comparison if you don't mind? Thanks.

Yeah sure.

The CKS77x is a bass monster, there's no other way to put it. Normally that would be something I don't really enjoy, but the CKS have really upfront mids as well which makes them sound a lot more balanced than your usual basshead iem's. Vocals are upfront along with the bass which is really nice, and the air chambers give them a pretty spacious sound as well. I would only recommend these to people who really love big bass, because they are fun as hell to listen to but can get fatiguing after a while.

The CKN70 is the oldest of the three, which is weird because they aren't even a year old yet. First things first, the cable sucks. Some people have said they don't have a problem with it but for the amount they cost, the cable should be better. Soundwise, I love these. They are pretty bright-sounding (verging on harsh), and can be aggressive with some recordings. That aspect is balanced out by the slight warmth in the mids and the VERY tight bass. I would only recommend these to people who don't mind aggressive treble. They are super somfortable though. 

The new kid, the IM50, is a completely different signature once again. These are very mid-centric, but not at the expense of the other frequencies. Really balanced overall and a great all-rounder, so I would recommend these to anyone. 

As for how they compare to each other, it's sort of like apples and oranges because they are all so different. For bassheads, the CKS77x is amazing. For those who want aggression and precision, the CKN70 is great, and for those who want lushness and balance, the IM50 is great too. 

I would say the IM50 is be the best out of the three, purely because they are suited to pretty much every type of music, whereas the other two depend on genre a bit more. However, I think the CKN70 has the upper hand in the bass department. Those micro-drivers put out seriously tight bass, and in comparison the IM50's bass sounds slightly slow. 

It really depends on your preferred sound sig, which is why I love AT, because they cater for everyone's preferences. 

If there are any other aspects you'd like me to compare, just let me know. 

Jan 30, 2014 at 6:21 AM Post #40 of 1,524
just wanted to ask, what are ath im-50's competitors in this price range (sub-$100)? or does it blow all its counterparts out of the water? looking to make some comparisons before i go down to a store and demo a few sets (or not for those that are unavailable, which is why i'm asking here).

the names i've seen most are vsd1, mh1c, moe ss01, ckm500, etc, and some others i forgot. I don't listen to any particular genre only, so that's anything from orchestral/jazz to edm. which probably means i want a well rounded iem. I don't mind a slight emphasis on bass, but it's not that important.

Jan 30, 2014 at 9:40 AM Post #41 of 1,524
Forget the CKM500, it's pretty bass heavy and not very smooth. The IM50 is much better than the MH1C in my opinion too - a fuller, more alive sound. There's something slightly plasticky about the MH1C's sound, and the cable is terrible. I think the IM50 sounds excellent, quite a bargain. The Astrotec AM-800 is also a good option, with a lighter build (but shallow fit).

Feb 4, 2014 at 10:48 AM Post #43 of 1,524
I removed the filter of IM50s. Now it sounds much better and clearer across the frequency board. Still no sibilance. I definetely recommend this mod to IM50 owners.
beerchug.gif

Feb 4, 2014 at 10:57 AM Post #45 of 1,524
  Yeah sure.

The CKS77x is a bass monster, there's no other way to put it. Normally that would be something I don't really enjoy, but the CKS have really upfront mids as well which makes them sound a lot more balanced than your usual basshead iem's. Vocals are upfront along with the bass which is really nice, and the air chambers give them a pretty spacious sound as well. I would only recommend these to people who really love big bass, because they are fun as hell to listen to but can get fatiguing after a while.

The CKN70 is the oldest of the three, which is weird because they aren't even a year old yet. First things first, the cable sucks. Some people have said they don't have a problem with it but for the amount they cost, the cable should be better. Soundwise, I love these. They are pretty bright-sounding (verging on harsh), and can be aggressive with some recordings. That aspect is balanced out by the slight warmth in the mids and the VERY tight bass. I would only recommend these to people who don't mind aggressive treble. They are super somfortable though. 

The new kid, the IM50, is a completely different signature once again. These are very mid-centric, but not at the expense of the other frequencies. Really balanced overall and a great all-rounder, so I would recommend these to anyone. 

As for how they compare to each other, it's sort of like apples and oranges because they are all so different. For bassheads, the CKS77x is amazing. For those who want aggression and precision, the CKN70 is great, and for those who want lushness and balance, the IM50 is great too. 

I would say the IM50 is be the best out of the three, purely because they are suited to pretty much every type of music, whereas the other two depend on genre a bit more. However, I think the CKN70 has the upper hand in the bass department. Those micro-drivers put out seriously tight bass, and in comparison the IM50's bass sounds slightly slow. 

It really depends on your preferred sound sig, which is why I love AT, because they cater for everyone's preferences. 

If there are any other aspects you'd like me to compare, just let me know. 

Sorry, I forgot to say. Thanks for your input 
beerchug.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back