Audio-Technica IM50, IM70 Discussion Thread
Oct 21, 2014 at 6:04 AM Post #452 of 1,524
I didn't like the comply tips, it made the sound muddy and densed. I'm sticking with the the stock until I come across better tips.

Logitech UE tips (UE600/100) are my favorite tips on IM50.

Oct 21, 2014 at 4:40 PM Post #453 of 1,524
I keep forcing myself to "like" the IM50 but the stock ear tips are making it harder for me as days go by. My last saving grace will be when I buy the Sony Hybrid ear tips. If I don't hear a change with the Sony ear tips then the IM50 will be up for sale on here and I'll try out Shure SE215.

Oct 21, 2014 at 6:44 PM Post #454 of 1,524
I keep forcing myself to "like" the IM50 but the stock ear tips are making it harder for me as days go by. My last saving grace will be when I buy the Sony Hybrid ear tips. If I don't hear a change with the Sony ear tips then the IM50 will be up for sale on here and I'll try out Shure SE215.

There are several after market tips which you can use on IM50s. As I said in my previous post you can pair them with UE tips which are softer and more comfortable than stock tips. What is your problem with the stock ones exactly?

Oct 21, 2014 at 6:55 PM Post #455 of 1,524
personally I really like the stock tips on the IM70. It gives it really great bass. The Sony hybrids are more comfortable and they take away bass slightly but gives it a clearer vocals. 

I've been looking for more sets of sony medium hybrids to buy but cannot find anything other than what came with my H3. I didn't like the hybrids at first but now it's all I use for the H3, heaven IV and IM70 but I only have 1 set for 3 iems. If anyone can find them for sale anywhere please let me know.

Oct 21, 2014 at 7:41 PM Post #456 of 1,524
Could someone please enlighten me with the difference between the IM50's and the 70's?

I'm coming from an Etymotic's HF5 and MC5, both broken by my carelessness; searching for pronounced Mid's and detailed highs(don't care too much about bass, although I do prefer a punchy type): vocals are really important to me and they were the gems of my late HF5s. I am actually uncertain between the Shure's SE215s, the Yahama's EPH-100s or just another pair of Etymotics, however, after reading a few pages of this thread I've come to the realization that these brothers may actually be what I'm looking for, but which one?

Oct 21, 2014 at 7:46 PM Post #457 of 1,524
for me, the Shure's SE215 are not in the class of the IM70. The shures sound muffled and boring for me and just doesn't not sound like a $100 iem. If mids are what you like .. the IM70 has full and powerful but yet really smooth forward mids. 

Oct 21, 2014 at 9:20 PM Post #458 of 1,524
  Could someone please enlighten me with the difference between the IM50's and the 70's?

I'm coming from an Etymotic's HF5 and MC5, both broken by my carelessness; searching for pronounced Mid's and detailed highs(don't care too much about bass, although I do prefer a punchy type): vocals are really important to me and they were the gems of my late HF5s. I am actually uncertain between the Shure's SE215s, the Yahama's EPH-100s or just another pair of Etymotics, however, after reading a few pages of this thread I've come to the realization that these brothers may actually be what I'm looking for, but which one?

I'd recommend the IM70's!

Oct 21, 2014 at 9:25 PM Post #459 of 1,524
There are several after market tips which you can use on IM50s. As I said in my previous post you can pair them with UE tips which are softer and more comfortable than stock tips. What is your problem with the stock ones exactly?

They are uncomfortable. The other issues I have is that each ear tip offers a different sound. I do find the stock ear tips in medium to offer the best sound out of the bunch. It's just the headphones handles each song differently. These headphones will shine with a well mixed and mastered track. I have AIFF files from cd's rips and AAC files from iTunes. The way they handle the AAC is cumbersome. I think that these earphones are picky to what files and formats deserve shine. The bass is overwhelming on certain songs and is not tolerable to me. The setup that I use is in my sig. If there is another IEM made by Audio Technica with a detachable cable that is neutral sounding and will work well with the JDS Labs C5 bass then I may look into that. Until then I'm going to check out the SE215.

Oct 22, 2014 at 1:27 AM Post #460 of 1,524
They are uncomfortable. The other issues I have is that each ear tip offers a different sound. I do find the stock ear tips in medium to offer the best sound out of the bunch. It's just the headphones handles each song differently. These headphones will shine with a well mixed and mastered track. I have AIFF files from cd's rips and AAC files from iTunes. The way they handle the AAC is cumbersome. I think that these earphones are picky to what files and formats deserve shine. The bass is overwhelming on certain songs and is not tolerable to me. The setup that I use is in my sig. If there is another IEM made by Audio Technica with a detachable cable that is neutral sounding and will work well with the JDS Labs C5 bass then I may look into that. Until then I'm going to check out the SE215.

I agree that they're uncomfortable. Try looking at the ATH-IM02

Oct 22, 2014 at 1:35 AM Post #461 of 1,524

I'd advise against the IM-70. The treble doesn't shine on these. This is more suited for modern music, edm, pop.

Oct 22, 2014 at 5:32 AM Post #465 of 1,524
Until then I'm going to check out the SE215.

I highly doubt SE215 will suit your tastes. They can be more bassy than IM70.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back