Audio-Technica debuts three new pairs of headphones ATH-R70x, ATH-M70x and ATH-M50xDG
Dec 11, 2015 at 12:39 PM Post #331 of 343
Just wanted to say that there is these clips on the headphone and you clip down the plastic ring underneath the earpads on them.

Dec 15, 2015 at 12:17 AM Post #332 of 343
Sorry - cant find the official R70X discussion thread but wanted to know if the connectors are 2.5mm and if they are some sort of proprietary locking mechanism? Or would any 2.5mm connect work

I'm thinking it would at least be a raised 2.5mm connector, they sockets looked recessed a bit 

Thanks!

Dec 15, 2015 at 2:00 AM Post #333 of 343
  Sorry - cant find the official R70X discussion thread but wanted to know if the connectors are 2.5mm and if they are some sort of proprietary locking mechanism? Or would any 2.5mm connect work

I'm thinking it would at least be a raised 2.5mm connector, they sockets looked recessed a bit 

Thanks!

http://www.head-fi.org/t/765004/audio-technica-ath-r70x-in-depth-review-impressions#post_11565945

Hope that helps.

Dec 16, 2015 at 2:44 AM Post #334 of 343
I recently re-acquired the R70x because the last time I had them (which was back in June/July), I had a sneaking suspicion that it might sound similar to the Sennheier HD600 and wanted to confirm for myself if that might be true. So I just picked up a set of the HD600 too, so I could find out.

The short version is that yeah, the R70x really does sound a lot like the HD600! So my suspicion was true after all.
smile.gif

A longer version of how the two headphones sound similar (and yet different) will be coming later, since I got the R70x to write up a full review of it this time. I have an AKG K712 coming in as well, since I thought that would be an interesting comparison point too.

Dec 16, 2015 at 3:17 AM Post #335 of 343
  I recently re-acquired the R70x because the last time I had them (which was back in June/July), I had a sneaking suspicion that it might sound similar to the Sennheier HD600 and wanted to confirm for myself if that might be true. So I just picked up a set of the HD600 too, so I could find out.

The short version is that yeah, the R70x really does sound a lot like the HD600! So my suspicion was true after all.
smile.gif

A longer version of how the two headphones sound similar (and yet different) will be coming later, since I got the R70x to write up a full review of it this time. I have an AKG K712 coming in as well, since I thought that would be an interesting comparison point too.

R70x again? That's Interesting. Remember reading your posts before (almost not) deciding for mine:).

HD600 and R70x do sound alike (tonally). I consider the R70x as a full-range HD600 (R70x have better treble and are much more bass friendly). The HD600 are more of a midrange hp. They excel if you listen to strings and such, because the sound is not masked by the bass and as such offer a better focus. They also sound noticeably more fatiguing than the R70x.

I believe the K712 vs. R70x should be more interesting comparison, so I am eagerly waiting for your reports. Seems that I never quite liked the Sennheiser sound.

Dec 16, 2015 at 3:37 AM Post #336 of 343
^ Well I was able to get one for a pretty great price via Amazon's AWD, so I thought I'd give the headphones a second chance—and am glad I did. Will likely have to retract my previously-written opinion of them, in fact....
redface.gif

Jan 25, 2016 at 6:07 AM Post #338 of 343
m70x are so nice for techno/electronic stuff, especially w/ JDS C5D bass boost... keep thinking I want to sell because the highs are a little distracting w/ a lot of stuff, but then I put a mix on and 
dt880smile.png

May 1, 2016 at 4:06 AM Post #339 of 343
The Highs M70x puts out is simply mesmerizing for me... I thought MSR7's was a good upgrade for me, but after trying out the M70x, adding a bit of bass boost then voila I think I've found what I was looking for. It's just soo smooth.

Jun 13, 2016 at 4:39 AM Post #341 of 343
I rememeber them to have quite tight clamping force on the headband (the M70x on the other hand has just perfect amount), and the sound sig isn't exactly comfortable on loud volumes, that will be needed when listening to it outdoor

Feb 7, 2017 at 2:18 PM Post #342 of 343
  I got a second hand HD800 pair for almost a week now, it completed turn my mod M70x sound metallic and harshness 
mad.gif
. If you like the sound signature of M70x, IMO, you should audition HD800 once if you can. The HD800 sound sooooo lively and beautiful 
L3000.gif

However, HD800 is an open can so it leak sound alot, I can't use it at work 
frown.gif
 so use HD800 as reference to mod M70x (i also have Hifiman HE 560): reduce metallic and harshness, improve bass.

1. Remove yellow foams behind drivers and black rubbers (cover vent hole?) ==> slightly improve bass

2. Use a thin Closed cell polyethylene foam sheet, cut a hole in center. Use double side adhesive tap (as much as possible on the polly cell foam sheet) and stick it to the housing as picture below ==> this will help seal most of unwanted leak air for bass improvement & help damping the back wave

Note: if you use the stock pad, you should trim the poly cell foam fit with the gray foam of the housing. I use the Audeze leather pads, it cover all the housing surface.

3. At this stage, the M70x sound boxy ==> you have to poke a hole  or more as your bass taste (red circle, you should see a line of wholes on the housing frame when remove the yellow foam). The size of the hole about 1mm (i used toothpick)

Please note the the driver is angled, so half size will very close to the earpad and other half has some spaces ==> poke hole in the half has spaces.

This simple mod (and reversed able) will significant improve bass performance, slightly reduce metallic and harshness sound ==> make your M70x more enjoyable. 

If you think M70x lack of bass impact (not bloated), think it again with this mod

Did you try to open the cup and mod drivers? Adding or taking out some of the dampening material should change the sound noticebly.

Jan 19, 2022 at 1:55 AM Post #343 of 343
M70X’s have a very similar FR to Sony MDR-V6 & MDR-7506…. I hope audio Technica releases some wavy color ways of them like they do their M50X.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back