Audio-Technica debuts three new pairs of headphones ATH-R70x, ATH-M70x and ATH-M50xDG
Aug 31, 2015 at 7:55 PM Post #316 of 343
Sure! IMO the M70x fit the bill but you might not like the sound signature which strives for letting you hear the recording rather than prettying it up. It comes with a short cord for connecting to portable devices. You might have better luck asking this in the help and getting started forum. Lots of knowledgeable people there.
Thanks almighty senpai!

Aug 31, 2015 at 9:19 PM Post #317 of 343
If you know any good portable over ear headphones that dont leak, but are still comfortable (200-250 euro's)please let me know.:mega::mailbox::incoming_envelope::headphones:

You might try:

- Audio Technica ATH-MSR7: many people believed this is an upgrade of the popular M50x. (M70x is not an upgrade of M50x, it's completed different sound signature)
- AKG K545, K551
- Oppo PM3: planar dynamic, super comfort and very good seal.
- Sennheiser Momentum OVER ear

You should audition any phone before you buy it (if possible), blind buy (or based on other review/recommend) without an audition might make you regret later.

Sep 1, 2015 at 1:21 PM Post #318 of 343
I've heard that the MSR7 is highly uncomfortable, is this true?
The AKG is big and not really ''portable''
The Oppo's are out of my price range
Momentum's are really pricey where i live, otherwise i would've bought 'em.

What about the MDR-1R.
I have heard that they fit the bill; but the sound is average(i'm NOT an audiophile, just a casual listener)

I totally agree, i have a shop a km away where you can ''rent'' the headphones for a week and return them or buy them after the week. 

Sep 1, 2015 at 1:25 PM Post #319 of 343
1R is good after modifications.  Pretty mediocre sound out of the box otherwise.

Sep 3, 2015 at 11:04 AM Post #320 of 343
I got a second hand HD800 pair for almost a week now, it completed turn my mod M70x sound metallic and harshness 
mad.gif
. If you like the sound signature of M70x, IMO, you should audition HD800 once if you can. The HD800 sound sooooo lively and beautiful 
L3000.gif

However, HD800 is an open can so it leak sound alot, I can't use it at work 
frown.gif
 so use HD800 as reference to mod M70x (i also have Hifiman HE 560): reduce metallic and harshness, improve bass.

1. Remove yellow foams behind drivers and black rubbers (cover vent hole?) ==> slightly improve bass

2. Use a thin Closed cell polyethylene foam sheet, cut a hole in center. Use double side adhesive tap (as much as possible on the polly cell foam sheet) and stick it to the housing as picture below ==> this will help seal most of unwanted leak air for bass improvement & help damping the back wave

Note: if you use the stock pad, you should trim the poly cell foam fit with the gray foam of the housing. I use the Audeze leather pads, it cover all the housing surface.

3. At this stage, the M70x sound boxy ==> you have to poke a hole  or more as your bass taste (red circle, you should see a line of wholes on the housing frame when remove the yellow foam). The size of the hole about 1mm (i used toothpick)

Please note the the driver is angled, so half size will very close to the earpad and other half has some spaces ==> poke hole in the half has spaces.

This simple mod (and reversed able) will significant improve bass performance, slightly reduce metallic and harshness sound ==> make your M70x more enjoyable. 

If you think M70x lack of bass impact (not bloated), think it again with this mod

Sep 3, 2015 at 1:53 PM Post #322 of 343
Yes the MSR7 is a bit heavier but it is 10 grams lighter than the OPPO PM-3 planner headphone which is the lightest planner headphone currently on the market. If you decided to keep the MSR7 you can lower the clamping pressure to suit your needs better by watching this video by Tyll Hertsens and he will explain the safe bend points on the headphones.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rd8bleLsSfU

As far the M70X goes I am still in the process of evaluating my pair. I am not going to remove the vent plugs as to loose some of the sound isolation that the headphones can give. The M70X is designed to be flat and I prefer to hear the bass as the artist intended.  The M70x does has a bit of a bass hump at 40Hz and for me I certainly do not want more bass. I have no issue with anyone modifying their headphones as they see fit.

Nov 2, 2015 at 1:06 PM Post #323 of 343
I'm looking for a new portable headphone as my K553 become more and more clunky with winter that is coming. Also, I love the soundstage of these but the sound isolation from external noise is not the best.

So which is the bet for me: the ATH-M70x or the MSR7?
I want the headphone that provide the best sound isolation for use on transit with preferably a neutral signature (or the one that looks more alike the ATH-AD900x)

I think that's the ATH-M70x but I want feedback from you ot be sure.

Nov 2, 2015 at 1:40 PM Post #324 of 343
  I'm looking for a new portable headphone as my K553 become more and more clunky with winter that is coming. Also, I love the soundstage of these but the sound isolation from external noise is not the best.

So which is the bet for me: the ATH-M70x or the MSR7?
I want the headphone that provide the best sound isolation for use on transit with preferably a neutral signature (or the one that looks more alike the ATH-AD900x)

I think that's the ATH-M70x but I want feedback from you ot be sure.

Then it's probably the M70x. The MSR7 are not the best in sound isolation. They have a small opening that leaks sound in. The M70x are completely closed as far as I know.

Nov 5, 2015 at 2:42 AM Post #325 of 343
I'm looking to buy an r70x this December.I currently own the ath msr7 so I have three questions for owners of both headphones.
1.Does the r70x have better layering than msr7?
2.Is the r70x more resolving than the msr7?
3.Does the r70x have better detail retrieval than the msr7?

Nov 5, 2015 at 3:02 AM Post #326 of 343
I'm looking to buy an r70x this December.I currently own the ath msr7 so I have three questions for owners of both headphones.
1.Does the r70x have better layering than msr7?
2.Is the r70x more resolving than the msr7?
3.Does the r70x have better detail retrieval than the msr7?

1. Yes
2. No
3. No

The MSR7 are known for their accuracy and detail retrieval while the R70x is warmish-neutral and non fatiguing sounding headphones. I use the MSR7 when I want technical, precise and more aggressive presentation. On the other hand the R70x are extremely comfortable, with a fantastic 3D-like spacious sound that is forgiving to older records. These are the headphones that makes you immerse yourself in the music, without fussing over details. MSR7 = analyze, R70x = enjoy the show.

Nov 5, 2015 at 8:49 AM Post #327 of 343
1. Yes
2. No
3. No

The MSR7 are known for their accuracy and detail retrieval while the R70x is warmish-neutral and non fatiguing sounding headphones. I use the MSR7 when I want technical, precise and more aggressive presentation. On the other hand the R70x are extremely comfortable, with a fantastic 3D-like spacious sound that is forgiving to older records. These are the headphones that makes you immerse yourself in the music, without fussing over details. MSR7 = analyze, R70x = enjoy the show.
[/quote]
Thanks for the input

Dec 10, 2015 at 9:31 PM Post #329 of 343
Why Audio-Technica had decided to use this clip pad system on the m70x instead of the trusty lid system -_-

Users who are viewing this thread

Back