Audio-Technica CK10 Vs. Ortofon eQ-7 (semi-URGENT)
Jun 20, 2010 at 2:39 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Aeneas

100+ Head-Fier
I have an eQ-7 that I like in terms of SQ but not really in terms of fit. Don't get me wrong, I can get a good seal with hybrids and it's not like they fall off, but I just prefer a behind ear/behind head fit (like stage customs) - like with Westone IEMs.

I've read about both separately, about people choosing the eQ-7 overt CK10 mostly, but not much direct comparison.

If you own/have used both, please share your thoughts.

And also your thoughts on CK10 being used for clarity (primary IEM will be a reshelled TF10) - for the whole 'classical' spectrum, from solo female arias to violin and pieces to full orchestral works. Maybe a bit of rock and metal now and then.

Is this a step down? That's what I'm afraid of. I really like the clarity of the eQ-7 across the board, I have no harsh criticisms of its SQ, but fit isn't pergect

I can trade with someone TODAY but no later because of his circumstances!

Jun 20, 2010 at 2:57 PM Post #2 of 12
From what I've read, if it is, it's a marginal step down that you may barely notice. Both of them will be better than the TF10. I think the main difference is the mids, which are more smooth in the eQ-7. Hopefully rawrster will see this, as he has had all three.

Jun 20, 2010 at 3:24 PM Post #3 of 12
Maybe Hifiman RE252 will suit you better - it is apparently more neutral than CK10, but still has excellent treble extension and presence. CK10 can sound a bit harsh and unnatural apparently because its treble is somewhat emphasized. Also take a look at Radius DDM.

Jun 20, 2010 at 3:37 PM Post #4 of 12
The RE-252 are great, but as the OP wanted to wear his IEM cable over the ear, it would be quite difficult with those. However, I found a very comfy fit by cutting the appendix, and now wear them over the ear.

Jun 20, 2010 at 4:03 PM Post #5 of 12
The CK10 is a step up in clarity from both the e-Q7 and the TF10. However, if you really like the Ortofon signature you may not like the Audio-Technicas. They are fast, clear, and very, very detailed. But compared to the Ortofons they are a bit cold and sterile. The Ortofons have rolled off treble, which gives them some of  their character, and much more warmth, which also makes them sound smoother. The CK10s have none of that. Except for a spike in the lower treble, they sound ruler-flat and have almost no decay. Whether that's a good thing depends on your preferences, which music genres don't necessarily correlate to. All I can say is that I have yet to hear anything beat the CK10s in clarity, both actual and perceived.

Jun 20, 2010 at 4:27 PM Post #6 of 12
Thanks guys. Helpful.

I've decided to go ahead with the trade. I still think I might well miss how good the eQ-7 sounds with virtually everything, but he fit isn't great.

And regarding the TF10 reshell , I'm getting a feeling that I'll regret it if I don't cough up more for an extra driver.

Jun 20, 2010 at 4:30 PM Post #7 of 12
Are custom tips an option with the eQ-7?

Jun 20, 2010 at 4:45 PM Post #9 of 12
how odd, by chance id had the CK10 in my ears today which is a spectacularly rare event.

the eq7 is lovely and smooth, the ck10 is dry, bright and hard.  poorly recorded treble will ravage the ear with the utmost brutality.  even well recorded treble can be savage, super comfy though.

Jun 20, 2010 at 5:26 PM Post #10 of 12

x2. The ck10 are clear and highly detailed, but too bright with unnatural timbre and much more fatiguing than the Ortofons. They're best with trance and fast electronica, but I wouldn't recommend them for classical.

Quote:
the eq7 is lovely and smooth, the ck10 is dry, bright and hard.  poorly recorded treble will ravage the ear with the utmost brutality.  even well recorded treble can be savage, super comfy though.

Jun 20, 2010 at 6:02 PM Post #11 of 12
I got nothing more to add really to this thread seeing as I've had both. CK10 is comfortable and low profile while the e-Q7 is not. CK10 has great clarity, detail, speed, extension and do have that spike in the treble but outside of that is relatively flat. However they do highly sibilant tracks and are quite hot. Also the CK10 does have better clarity than either the TF10 or the e-Q7 but then again the TF10 doesn't exactly have amazing clarity.

The e-Q7 is quite different and well you should know how they sound. They are quite different really as the strengths of the CK10 is well what the e-Q7 doesn't so as well and the other way around as well. The e-Q7 does have that roll off in the treble and is much more smoother. The e-Q7 is better bass and mids while the CK10 has it's focus upper mids to treble.

Whether you like the CK10 is yet to be seen. I can see people liking both or choosing one over the other. I don't know your preferences so no idea about that. I enjoyed both when I had them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back