Audio Technica CK10 replacement filters?
Aug 26, 2010 at 1:43 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

bassophile

100+ Head-Fier
Do these earphones come boxed with replacement filters in case one/both of the filters becomes clogged with ear debris?

From pictures I have seen, the filter lies very near the tip of the nozzle, thus any dirt from the ear tip is likely to go straight into the filter.

CK10 owners, have you noticed this as a problem, or are you able to clean wax and the like before it reaches the filters? If it IS a problem, how have you dealt with it?

I was thinking of using one of those Tx series Comply tips with the integrated wax guard, yet, on the Comply site they do not specify which Tx series tip would be compatible with the CK10.

Finally, where is one able to purchase the replacement filters? Indeed, are the filters even user-replaceable, or must you return them to the manufacturer for this service? And is this service even offered?

Thanks for your time!!

Aug 26, 2010 at 4:27 PM Post #2 of 13
No filters included. Just a case, tips, and cleaning cloth. I'd assume you can buy the Ety tool and filters to change them yourself. Haven't heard about anyone doing this with the CK10; only the UM2 and Ety. 

Off the top of my head, I believe they take the TX400 Comply tips. 

Aug 26, 2010 at 4:31 PM Post #3 of 13
I think someone has tried it with the Etymotic filters but it's not from this forum. It was in one of the CK10 threads a while ago but I can't remember the results. I do believe sound was changed a little but but other than that I don't remember.

When I had them I never felt the need to change the filter or even think it would need to be changed. I would only change it if you wanted to experiment with filters changing the sound.

Aug 26, 2010 at 4:36 PM Post #4 of 13
EDIT: I stand corrected, these take a large UE sized tips, so the TX-400 would work.

For the DBA-02 (same driver as the CK10) I use cotton wool to replace filters that need to be replaced. As long as you experiment, you can get them to sound nearly if not the same as before. I haven't seen the CK10 nozzle though. People have also used Ety filters with the DBA-02, though mostly in Russia on the Russian forums.

Aug 26, 2010 at 4:54 PM Post #5 of 13
IIRC, I used my UE Comply's with them. The tube is quite large.

Aug 26, 2010 at 5:05 PM Post #6 of 13
They definitely are NOT the Shure, Westone, etc. nozzle size. I was using sony hybrids and Monster triples on them. My guess is TX400 would fit on them but I didn't have them when I had them. You can check the comply website and it should tell you probably.

Aug 26, 2010 at 9:56 PM Post #7 of 13
That's funny, such a large sized nozzle and only the centre bored out for the sound. Never seen it done before. I guess that just adds to the laundry list of reasons the CK10 is so well built.
Those filters remind me of the PFE filters, but smaller.

Aug 26, 2010 at 10:12 PM Post #8 of 13
I think I may own the oldest CK10 on the forum. I've had it for close to a year and jant71 owned it for a while before that. In that time there's been no audio degradation and the filters still look good as new visually.

Quote:
That's funny, such a large sized nozzle and only the centre bored out for the sound. Never seen it done before. I guess that just adds to the laundry list of reasons the CK10 is so well built.
Those filters remind me of the PFE filters, but smaller.

The CK100 and UE700 use the same design - large nozzle, small filter. It does indeed feel pretty sturdy.

Quote:
They definitely are NOT the Shure, Westone, etc. nozzle size. I was using sony hybrids and Monster triples on them. My guess is TX400 would fit on them but I didn't have them when I had them. You can check the comply website and it should tell you probably.

T/Tx400 are a bit loose on the CK10/CK100. They are designed for the UE (5.5mm) nozzle but the CK10 nozzle is only ~4.5mm. Comply is not partnered with Audio-Technica last I checked so their site wouldn't be of much help. If anyone really cares I can probably figure it out since I have T500s and Tx200s laying around.

Aug 26, 2010 at 10:18 PM Post #9 of 13
I think whoever owns the CK10 that shigzeo sold is probably the oldest but no idea who has that :p

Also a reason why the CK10 might be bigger is because of their nozzle size. All the AT phones I've tried (although not that many) have been that size so it might have just been easier to keep it that way as supposed to two different sizes. I do miss their build quality however. Nothing I currently own comes close to the CK10 in that category.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back