Audio Technica ATH-WS70 earpad mod - The Love child of the M50 and Shure 840
Jun 11, 2010 at 8:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

swbf2cheater

Headphoneus Supremus
A few days ago I pulled the trigger on the ATH WS70s hopign they'd be great fun.  I've an issue with on ear headphones, I hate them with a passion.  The stock version of this set is not at all comfortable.  The sound produced is very small, and very powerful.  It has the most powerful bass I've ever experienced.  There is such a thing as too much bass.  I knew from the first listen that these were capable of very great things, I believe I was right in assuming this.  The picture below is the first attempt at what i tried to do, and failed.  Thankfully I chose the velcro and not glue.  I've learned to trust the Velcro over glue from a past mishap DYI project. 

I had a spare set of Shure 840 earpads laying around and decided to see if they would work well with this small on ear cups of the Ws70.  They are a few centimeters too large to fit around the cups, so I tried to cut my own piece of leather to add onto the backside of the pads.  I failed miserably.  I sat around for a while and thought why not just use velcro and pull the extra ends inward towards each other.  I placed Velcro on the inside of that flap, on the opposite end inside as seen in the picture above instead this time.

After a litle coaxing and applying more Velcro in the correct spots, as well as making a small incision on the pads backside near the cord, top side and both left and right, cuts placed at each point on a +  Pulled them closer it turned out really nice.

The sound coming out of this thing is the actual love child of the M50 and Shure 840, no exaggeration, no lie.  The sound on the stock pads is immensely small, but with the 840 pads the stage is way bigger and more balanced.  It's very similar to the 840s balance from lows to highs, nothing really overpowering the other, and a lot of the coloring of the m50 ( the fun factor and sparkle ) Of course it doesnt do anything as nice as either, but jeez, its pretty epic and awesome to have a small portable COMFORTABLE set that sounds like the offspring of both

the bass is reduced by id say 75% but still has great bass and power in a more balanced form.  The stock ws70 has bass to spare, too much.  This is the best mod I've ever seen, the difference in sound from stock to the 840 pads is incredible, you wouldnt believe it >.> 

Im so beyond happy, I've created a monster...a beautiful monster of good balance and power for a portable set.  There are no words...no words for how happy I am :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back