Audio Technica ATH-WS1100 Solid Bass Headphone first impressions from an amateur
Dec 18, 2015 at 9:44 PM Post #17 of 84
I didn't think it was that bassy when I tried it. Considerably warmer sounding than the MSR7 or M50 and seemed muddy at first glance though details are still pretty good.

Whew, you think this sounds muddy, never try Audio Technica's ATH-Pro700MKII.  Which is much darker, bassier but also much more recessed mids and much less clarity. 

I don't know what your comparing it to, but the Solid Bass series was always about being a warmer sounding headphone that pushes the bass area when songs call for it.  It does so while trying to minimally impact the rest of the sound.  It Is ultimately Audio Technica's warm line of headphones as opposed to their traditionally bright sound.  Tastes, as always, will vary. 

Dec 28, 2015 at 4:17 AM Post #20 of 84
with my htc one m7 these headphones sound like their's no bass, my akg k518 sounds bassier. why???

They aren't bass deficient but they have a very controlled "solid bass" with a warm sound and good overall sound quality and clarity for a warm headphone. Dont have that AKG headphone to compare but I think this entire solid bass series is misunderstood. They are not boomy bass headphones. They arent even extreme sub bass monsters. You have to put audio technica sound in perspective. Most AT headphones are neutral or bright. This series aims to have a respectful warm sound with just a bass boost in songs that are bass heavy. Very audiophile-like in a warm style.

I dont have that AKG headphones but if they are dj style boomy. These were never supposed to sound like that. They arent dj style either.

Dec 31, 2015 at 11:02 AM Post #21 of 84
Firstly, thank you so much for explaining me the whole thing. Appreciate your efforts.
Secondly, the bass was solid, but I think it was not deep as mentioned on the packaging "true deep bass".
And, I haven't heard the 50x, was the bass of 1100 better than 50x?? 

Jan 2, 2016 at 1:26 PM Post #23 of 84
blacken: hard to say, they are very different headphones. I guess I'd say ws1100 is better but again, ws1100 is warm and m50 is not. They don't go deep....sub-bass deep. They are OK in that area. But nothing overly special. For that you should get Audio Technica's Pro700mk2 which goes deep and is also slightly more boomy. Or try JVC SZ2000 which is the king of deep sub bass. All benefit from an amp (fiio e12 or cayon c5) and eq'ing with your player. Then they really shine in that deep sub bass area. The ws1100 is better overall sonically across the board than those two. But it doesn't really excel at any one particular area.

ArchDragoon: I didn't answer because I don't own the msr7. Plus tastes vary. I always preferred rock and especially metal with a mid range boost. But that said, I listen to rock and metal through the ws1100 all the time and I love it. You should consider going on the help thread, starting a new topic and repeating your question. More chance of finding someone in the know about the msr7 and figure out better alternatives to that. I hope some one further helps you out.

Jan 2, 2016 at 7:36 PM Post #24 of 84
blacken: hard to say, they are very different headphones. I guess I'd say ws1100 is better but again, ws1100 is warm and m50 is not. They don't go deep....sub-bass deep. They are OK in that area. But nothing overly special. For that you should get Audio Technica's Pro700mk2 which goes deep and is also slightly more boomy. Or try JVC SZ2000 which is the king of deep sub bass. All benefit from an amp (fiio e12 or cayon c5) and eq'ing with your player. Then they really shine in that deep sub bass area. The ws1100 is better overall sonically across the board than those two. But it doesn't really excel at any one particular area.

ArchDragoon: I didn't answer because I don't own the msr7. Plus tastes vary. I always preferred rock and especially metal with a mid range boost. But that said, I listen to rock and metal through the ws1100 all the time and I love it. You should consider going on the help thread, starting a new topic and repeating your question. More chance of finding someone in the know about the msr7 and figure out better alternatives to that. I hope some one further helps you out.

Nah, Your comment is good enough. Thank you.

Feb 7, 2016 at 10:22 AM Post #27 of 84
I always felt the solid bass series was heavily ignored. AT made its reputation as a bright or balanced headphones. The solid bass goes in a gentle warm direction with enhanced bass. I think a lot of at fans dismiss it for that.

Really it's still more an audiophile 'phone. Just for audiophiles who like a little warmth, a little bass boost. While trying to remain clear and detailed. Don't expect anything extreme, they are not extreme boom boom headphones at all.

AT has the bass cannon Pro700mk2 but that is an abnormality in the AT catalog. That is not typical AT.

Add in the import price and it turns people off.

Feb 11, 2016 at 12:16 AM Post #28 of 84

Hit the nail on the head here. After a few months of listening, this is my go to transportable, indoor headphone. It is indeed an audiophile headphone; detailed sound, non-fatiguing, slightly warm but not BASS monsters. They are impossibly comfortable, I wear them for hours. Very happy with them, I recommend them to anyone. 

Feb 25, 2016 at 5:55 AM Post #29 of 84
Just got my ws1100iS. I don't know the difference for "iS" version and without it. My assumption is only for its mic version since at the headphone it's written ws1100 but the box is ws1100is.
Very pleased with this headphone, compare to my m100. More detail and wide ss but the with good bass impact.
I think this headphone good for all-rounder with additional very good bass.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back