Audio-Technica ATH-WP900
Feb 20, 2023 at 8:16 AM Post #1,186 of 1,370
Bought the yaxi pads for these and they now sound amazing. They are light and comfortable and sound great. Wish they felt a bit more sturdy but otherwise they are fantastic

Feb 20, 2023 at 8:41 AM Post #1,187 of 1,370
My only gripe with WP900 is the direction in which the cups swivel.

You can not put them down on the pads, unless you turn the headphones around. Why ?

Feb 20, 2023 at 10:11 AM Post #1,188 of 1,370
My only gripe with WP900 is the direction in which the cups swivel.

You can not put them down on the pads, unless you turn the headphones around. Why ?
So that when you take them off and drape them around your neck the wooden cups face outward. I suppose they could have made the cups swivel both ways, but perhaps that would put unnecessary stress on the inner wiring.

Feb 20, 2023 at 1:00 PM Post #1,190 of 1,370
So that when you take them off and drape them around your neck the wooden cups face outward.

When on my neck (soft) I would rather have them rest on the wooden cups (additional benefit: pads would be ventilated) while on my desk (hard) I would rather have them rest on the pads.

Feb 20, 2023 at 1:49 PM Post #1,191 of 1,370
While I haven't haven't experienced any problems, I'm not going to try and find out. I would imagine after plugging and unplugging them hundreds of times the connectors would get loose. Maybe not? I leave my headphone cables plugged in, unless I want to actually change them which of course I did with these. The stock cable is ok, but I ordered a custom one the very same day I ordered the cans.

You are making a safe assumption I think - connector parts often have specifications for number of cycles they can be safely expected to endure.

Just because something is modular doesn't mean that it is suitable to be connected and disconnected in daily use (at least not without an expectation of eventual failure) though of course they are subjected to a fair amount of stress in normal use even without the connection cycles, so that might not necessarily be the first point of failure either.

Personally I try to think of modular cables as "quick repair" rather than "easy change", though I guess cable rollers would disagree. Of course connectors may also outlive their expectations or be particularly durable (like my 5 year old phone's still functioning headphone and usb-c ports), but I've had enough issues with small connectors like MMCX and 2-Pin to prefer playing it safe.

Last edited:
Feb 20, 2023 at 4:07 PM Post #1,192 of 1,370
When on my neck (soft) I would rather have them rest on the wooden cups (additional benefit: pads would be ventilated) while on my desk (hard) I would rather have them rest on the pads.
When you take them off your head you don't have to flip them over just lay them on your desk with the pads facing down, and the headband pointing towards you

Feb 21, 2023 at 2:41 AM Post #1,193 of 1,370
Feb 21, 2023 at 5:10 AM Post #1,195 of 1,370
They are my mobile headphones. Do you suggest, that I carry the stand around with me :D

Wierd design choice. That is all.

Feb 22, 2023 at 9:35 AM Post #1,196 of 1,370
WP900 is the headphone that keeps giving. I've tried on a large number of sources from humble USB dongles to TT2/Mscaler. However, none sound as good as with the Acoustic Research AR-M2. Really dynamite combo. If you see one on the classifieds, don't hesitate - the synergy is top notch.

I also received a new pair of pads today from AT. There was a 3 month wait, so worth requesting if you need some.

1120918.jpg1120921.jpg

Feb 22, 2023 at 10:02 AM Post #1,198 of 1,370
I'm curious if your original pads were flaking or not? Or did you just want backup pads
I still have stock first set of pads on. They're in good condition, no flaking. I just wanted a backup pair of pads if/when the first pair does start to flake.

On this, I have moved back from Yaxi to stock. Stock doesn't have same comfort as Yaxi and soundstage is narrower, but over a period of testing, I came to the conclusion that stock offers a more coherent presentation.

Feb 28, 2023 at 9:14 AM Post #1,199 of 1,370
Last edited:
Feb 28, 2023 at 9:20 AM Post #1,200 of 1,370
I was thinking of exploring some of WP900's predecessors. Anyone tried ATH-ESW950 or ATH-ES750? I know ATH-ES750 isn't strictly part of the lineage, but curious nonetheless.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back